Thread: Muskox

Default Muskox

So I am dropping off a set of moose antlers at Knights Taxidermy in Anchorage and something in back of their shop catches my eye. I move a plastic bag down alittle and notice a Muskox they had made into a rug. I enjoy reading stories of others hunting Muskox but haven't been interested in hunting them myself until I actually saw one (rugged out) in person. So, fast forward a few weeks and through alittle research I have found that the meat is delicious, it's definitely a great experience to hunt them, and it is a EXPENSIVE hunt.

I have looked into each permit in the drawing and before I start applying for one in this years drawing I am curious to know if anyone has actually drawn a permit and not spent $6000 to hunt them. It seems like the biggest cost involved is the transporter, and from what I gather the most expensive permit to draw is Nunivak Is. Has anyone ever hunted them successfully without paying for a transporter? Just looking for some thoughts from those that have hunted the shaggy creatures and if there is a cheaper way to do it, thanks.

i can say that muskox out does moose. that is some wayyy good stuff.

Much less expensive options out of Nome, but if you hunt them under a registration permit you'll have to have the tips of the horns cut off if you take them from the unit. Send martentrapper a note on this - he rents out snowmachines for that hunt and can fill you in on the details.

Good info Brian, thanks.

Both unit 22 and unit 23 have registration hunts for Musk Ox. These hunts are open to all Ak. residents. No limit on permits and most of the unit permits are now available on line.
    I don't think there are any commercial services available for the hunts in unit 23.
    There are services in unit 22, both in Nome and Shishmaref. Snowmobiles and sleds are available for rent in both places as well as lodging.
    The easiest, cheapest, hunt is out of Nome. I have seen guys from Anch. area do this hunt for right around 1000 bucks total. However, Ox numbers and locations are making this the lesser chance of success hunt.
    Most seasons open Jan 1. Unit 22D will also have a winter moose season, for one antlered bull. So an Ox hunt in 22D also offers a 2 species opportunity.
    There are a few Nome members on this forum. I'm sure any of us will be happy to answer questions from anyone interested.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Ask away!!!!

It shouldn't be that expensive, but is if you go with a guide/outfitter. MT rents snogos, and usually knows, or knows of, whereabouts that herds can be located.

This year the "close" hunts have fewer permits and will probably end quickly. The further out hunts will probably require you to tent it out there, and weather...well, its winter so it can be an issue.

Love me some ox meat!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Can't we just love you for what you are, Alaskan?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Great info guys, thanks for the PM martentrapper. I'll wait on the outcome of next years drawing then give you a ring about the registration hunt out there in Nome.

Steve