Thread: Family Hunting Trip Ideas

Default Family Hunting Trip Ideas

Looking for ideas for a first family hunting trip...me, wife, and two daughters (11, and 14). They've all been bird hunting and small game, but have never done a big game trip. I've done a lot so am familiar with hunting in AK, but the wife and kids haven't except for local day stuff. They are all getting into shooting and interested in hunting. Trying to balance, price, logistics, timing, duration, etc. It will be there first big game trip so I want to make sure it's enjoyable but also a good chance to be sucessful in shooting an animal.

What are your ideas.

It is hard to beat a boat based hunt out on PWS for blackies in May. Even a drop off with a 14-16 foot inflatable would work fine. The weather is generally favorable and if you can coordinate an evening low tide with some sun, the black fur balls will be on the beach. This is one of my favorite hunts.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled one beat me to it. A costal blackie hunt is a great intro to big game. If your girls are anything like mine, you may want to look into some of the public use cabins that are available. It would offer a little more comfort, and the boat would allow you to bring more gear than say a backpack trip would.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/kenai.htm

The bear suggestion above is a good one. Another great family hunt would be a blacktail deer hunt out of a cabin. I've thought about taking my nephew down to Prince of Wales Island and hunting deer via the road system coupled with some hiking and climbing as well. There are lots of deer, the animals are a reasonable size and not brutal to deal with when down, and the limit is generous. One of our members rents cabins and trucks in Coffman Cove for hunting, and there are also cabins that would work on Afognak Island with logging roads to hike/hunt.

Caribou is by far the cheapest and easiest. You are in luck, as right now it would appear as though there are going to be huge number of Tier II Permits awarded for the Unit 13 area. It will be coming up in three weeks, so you need to get everyones name in the hat RIGHT NOW. Just go to Fish and Game and submit a Tier II Application. Chances are everyone that applies will get one, as the number to be culled from herd is larger than usual. It is IMO a cake walk can be done easily as a day trip or overnighter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Caribou is by far the cheapest and easiest. You are in luck, as right now it would appear as though there are going to be huge number of Tier II Permits awarded for the Unit 13 area. It will be coming up in three weeks, so you need to get everyones name in the hat RIGHT NOW. Just go to Fish and Game and submit a Tier II Application. Chances are everyone that applies will get one, as the number to be culled from herd is larger than usual. It is IMO a cake walk can be done easily as a day trip or overnighter.
    Doable without a 4wheeler in a day or two? I'd love to put some meat in the freezer before winter hits, but I don't want to try and get a tag when it could go to another, if I don't have the equipment to hunt it.

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Doable without a 4wheeler in a day or two? I'd love to put some meat in the freezer before winter hits, but I don't want to try and get a tag when it could go to another, if I don't have the equipment to hunt it.

Thanks,

Jon
    Jon,

You apply and draw I will do everything in my power to help ya bag a caribou. Nothing is 100% when hunting, but this would be the closest you could hope to get. So apply away and then look me up when ya draw and we'll take a weekend and make it happen.

Awesome Lanche, I really appreciate it! I'll be heading down there tomorrow to get my name in the hat.

Thanks again,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The bear suggestion above is a good one. Another great family hunt would be a blacktail deer hunt out of a cabin. I've thought about taking my nephew down to Prince of Wales Island and hunting deer via the road system coupled with some hiking and climbing as well. There are lots of deer, the animals are a reasonable size and not brutal to deal with when down, and the limit is generous. One of our members rents cabins and trucks in Coffman Cove for hunting, and there are also cabins that would work on Afognak Island with logging roads to hike/hunt.
    Alpine deer hunting is a great family hunt, if your kids don't mind putting in some legwork and being wet. My boys and I made some great memories up on the mountains this year.

I hadn't considered a black bear hunt. That could be a real good option.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post

Thanks,

Jon
    Yes. Very much so. You could stay in a hotel at night and kill a caribou easily before lunch, if you are not being selective. If you want to get choosy about antlers, could take a couple of days, no more than that though. No need for ATV or snowmachine. But they do help with the work of lugging the meat back to the road.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

When does this tier II hunt take place? I'd like to get my son a chance for a bou, and if dad gets one even better, but the boy comes first.
    Paul

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    When does this tier II hunt take place? I'd like to get my son a chance for a bou, and if dad gets one even better, but the boy comes first.
    It should be kicked off somewhere around the 21st of October. Maybe a little later this year, due the snafu of the BOG in messing around with it. Get your name in the hat now and that way you will be ready for it. Snow hit the Alphabet Hills yesterday, so the Caribou are getting the message that it is time for them to come down, where it is easy picken's.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I was in Alphabet hills and Dicky Lake this weekend. I saw about 100 bou on Sat. and they are moving around. Everybody I talked to hunting had meat on the pole.

Snowed like crazy on Sunday and that should stick around. Great first hunt for a family affair- my boy loves going.

Right on, thanks Akres!!!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes. Very much so. You could stay in a hotel at night and kill a caribou easily before lunch, if you are not being selective. If you want to get choosy about antlers, could take a couple of days, no more than that though. No need for ATV or snowmachine. But they do help with the work of lugging the meat back to the road.

Put in for the draw, so hopefully I'll have some 'Bou meat in the freezer this year. Thanks for the info

Jon