Thread: stove for my tent

Default stove for my tent

I am looking for a place to buy a oil drip stove for my tent. I have the Cabela's big horn III and use it for hunting. Is there any place someone can tell me to go? I have been looking on line and cant find anything.

These are great stoves. I use one with the arctic oven. It is nice to keep a fire all night
    http://www.susitnaenergy.com/?subcat...4&prod_id=5176

Dang that thing sure looks nice but $650!!

650 is worth it when you get up to a warm tent and don't have to to do the one arm fire lighting. They sip fuel and a good wood stove will cost 400 or so. what a couple hundred.

Alaska Tent & Tarp is where I bought my stove, it's of the sheetmetal design and it warms my bighorn 2 with ease.

I have one for sale in classified...

I have used the wood type sheet metal stoves for a years and they do get the tent warm. I got sick of not getting good sleep on my winter camping trips, because I was putting wood in the stove all night. Then I went to a really good sleeping bag. That works, but there is the problem of getting the tent warm in the morning. Granted I did get everything ready the night before so all I had to do was start a fire and then go back to bed for a hour or so. I couldn't find a stove that was air tight that didn't weight 50 lbs. I got the oil drip stove and really do like it. I usaully only burn it for 10 hours or so at night with a 3 gallon boat gas tank with quick disconnects and it will last 4 nights. At first I thought it would be a pain in the butt to hall fuel, but it is worth it in my opion. When I was to pack up the tent I shut it off and let it cool for 15 minutes and Im ready to take everything down. I don't have to wait for the fire to out, or just not have a fire in the morning. I like taking the wife and kiddo with and this really helps for them to have a warm tent all night. My tent is a AO 10 and it really don't take much to heat it.
    I made a box to put the stove and stove pipe in it. and then it doubts as the tank holder in the back of the tent. it is really easy to take apart and the maintaince is just cleaning it out with a wire brush. I wouldn't go without mine.

Are you able to run it on low heat or do you have to keep it cranked up? I am planning on getting a Arctika in the next year or so do you think it would be big enough to heat one? My next stove will be for the Arctika and my Go-lite Shangri-la 8

I tend to run it about half way when it is -10 or so. I keep the tent about 60 and i use a battery powered fan to help warm up the bottom

A two dog stove from fourdog.com

You won't go wrong that way. I was impressed on how well it worked and how long it burned. Was PLENTY hot in our 20 degree temps, almost to the point where we turned it down completely. It isn't light (40lbs) but made well and PLENTY of heating power.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I saw you were originally asking about a portable Oil drip stove. Hunter MFG. makes the military portable stove. They call it the Space heater arctic. It burns all kinds of liquid fuels as well as solid fuel. Its heavy at 40 lbs, but its the only liquid/wood fuel stove besides the old yukon that I could find. I got mine at gr8gear.com. 200 bones shipped.

Besides the weight of the stove, the only other bummer is that to use the liquid fuel adapter you need to get a military plastic jerry can. They are spendy. About 70 bucks shipped here from ebay. Apparantly they are no longer making them due to CARB laws.

Still 270 bucks for a portable Diesel fuel stove isnt bad. Plus if you run out of fuel you can burn wood or coal.

I do like that susitna stove, but price was a factor and I was really hung up on the dual fuel capability.