Thread: TC Encore pistol/rifle combo?

Question TC Encore pistol/rifle combo?

Well my wife and I were at a fun show yesterday and she spotted a TC Contender type on a table and fell in love with it. We enjoy shooting my old school Stevens Tip Up pistols and this is like a step up into a bigger world and very convertible into really anything. Looking online it seems that the Encore series is the way to go. She really likes the traditional wood and blues version also. Any ideas or recommendations on this? Thanks!

I have an Emcore in 375 Win and wouldn't trade it for love nor money.

I think the Prohunter is the only way to go and the options are endless. I would one day like to have a Prohunter in 357 maximun with a 14 inch barrel pistol configuration.

The only thing I don't like about the Encore/Contender platform is that you can't dry fire them. If you do you will be sending it back in for repair sooner than later and I am big on dry firing my guns).

Mine is blue synthetic and I have both rubber pistol grip and the recoil reducing(don't need it) synthetic rifle stock. The 375 is a ***** cat to shoot and that recoil reducing system might be more mandated on a big thumper. I would prefer it in polished blue and walnut but it's ok the way it is.

I really like my Thompson. I first bought a Contender and sold it about 2 years later in favor of an Encore there are MUCH more calibers that you can use with the encore that you can't with the Contender. I mainly bought it so I can have a .410 pistol with the 14" barrel and it will fit inside the tunnel bag on my snowmachine so I can pop a few ptarmigan if the chance arises. I also have a 14" .243 barrel so when my wife and I go predator hunting (with my full size .243 bolt action rifle) all we have to bring is my main predator gun and my Encore with 2 barrels which I will switch from .410 to .243 depending on if we are setting up for predators or want to be ready to harvest some birds. Pretty versatile guns IMO.

The Encore is easily converted from pistol to rifle right? It would be neat to have a kit with everything in it to quickly make a variety of firearms.

I have had a contender and currently have an encore and really like the system. I think if you are going to primarily use it as a pistol you should stick with the contender but if making a full length rifle the encore is the only way to go. Mainly because of the contender being ligher and more compact. As a rifle the encore is really hard to beat. I have found accuracy to be very good, especially after a trigger job. I currently have several barrels. 16.5" 45/70 barrel, 24" 22-250, 24" 30/06, 26" 209x50 muzzle loading barrel. They are all very accurate and have been used to harvest several big game animals. The 16.5" 45/70 barrel will work as either a pistol barrel or a rifle barrel and I am intending to get a 308 barrel either rifle or pistol and sticking a muzzle break on it for a compact fairly light rifle to start my son out with. The first cheap sporter 308 barrel, shooting for a total length of around 16-18".

One thing I have noticed about the encore is that it will shoot better and more consistantly if you place a neopreme washer or rubber oring between the barrel and the forend. It kind of free floats the barrel and will turn my 22-250 barrel from a ok shooter to a tack driver.

I've been shooting the T/C guns since the mid 80's starting off with one of the original style Contenders and have since sold it and now have both a Contender G2 and an Encore. I love them so much I'll never be without one. I have several barrels, both handgun and rifle for both. I've yet to try the muzzleloader or the shotgun barrels but that's in the future. I started my son who's small for his age on a .30-30 barrel for the G2, worked out great and now several years later he's shooting it with a .45-70 handgun barrel and loves it. The Contender can be safely dry fired but not the Encore, just flip the selector on the hammer to the middle position so it doesn't strike the firing pin. It's unfortunate but the Encore doesn't have that selector which makes it much more of a hassle to change over to rimfire barrels. I've taken everything from squirrel to moose and bear with one gun, talk about versatile. By the way, while the Encore is larger than the Contender and it's feels bigger in your hands as a handgun, especially for someone with small hands, it's pretty much all in the factory grips. If you take the grip off and look at the stem you'll notice that they're virtually identical. A pachmayr grip for the Encore is the same size as one for a Contender. They don't interchange but if you put a pachmayr grip on the Encore you'll notice it's not the same size as the original grip, it's actually smaller and the gun now fits your hand like the Contender.