Thread: Aftermarket stock for Ruger M77 MKII .338

Default Aftermarket stock for Ruger M77 MKII .338

I have a Ruger M77 MK II with the winchester style three position safety that was produced in the early 90's. I want to replace the factory laminated wood stock with a synthetic stock. I have looked at numerous options on the net: MPI, Bell & Carlson, McMillian etc. I would like to hear from those that have done this project, which stock did you chose any why, what pitfalls should I look out for, and did you bed the action when you replaced the stock?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would get a Hogue.

I like the wide butts, on'em. It should help the felt recoil.

I understand they are a bit heavier than some of the others, but that's OK for 338 too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by tradbowkill View Post
    I have a Ruger M77 MK II with the winchester style three position safety that was produced in the early 90's. I want to replace the factory laminated wood stock with a synthetic stock. I have looked at numerous options on the net: MPI, Bell & Carlson, McMillian etc. I would like to hear from those that have done this project, which stock did you chose any why, what pitfalls should I look out for, and did you bed the action when you replaced the stock?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    As you have seen there are lots of options. Opinions differ as which maker does the best job. Much of the decision is subjective: color, design, style, etc. However, most of the stuff is objective: composition, durability, quality, etc. The decision rests largely in how much you desire/can spend and what type of stock lights your fire. I've used a number of makers in the past, but McMilan gets my money now and, until someone else improves or McM screws up, they always will. Not a lot of choices for the MK II, but I'd guess their (McM) stock is easily the best value.

I have several other makers in my collection, but my last four synthetics have come from McMillan with nary a problem and I have another on order for an upcoming project. As for general pitfalls I'd recommend steering clear of stocks that are injection molded.

I bed everything; period. I've found no reason not to bed and the advantages of proper bedding are legion.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've installed all of the a ove mentioned brands and the McM is far and away the best bet if you choose to bed it yourself, unless you are very experienced in synthetic stock work. The MPI is a great product but they are very labor intensive, they do offer just about any configuration you can imagine which is nice. Don't want to hurt any feelings for those who own one but the B&C stocks for the 77 are garbage and I now tell the counter help to turn them away as it's not worth the time for me to work on them, the other models from B&C can be made servicable but the one for the Ruger is awful.

If you are going to have someone install and bed it for you or you are proficient at these things I would get the MPI for weight savings and cost but other than that I'd say go with the Mickey.

My nickle.

First let me say thanks for your replies. Where do you order your McMillian stocks from?

Thanks
    Steve

McMillan of course

First let me say thanks for your replies. Where do you order your McMillian stocks from?

Thanks
    Steve

http://www.mcmfamily.com/index.php
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Thanks
    Steve
    PM sent; let me know if you have any questions.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If money is a consideration, you can get a factory synthetic stock from Numrich or Brownell's for around $80. Just another option.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Hey guys, anyone have experience with the Boyds laminated classic stock? I have the same rifle as tradbowkill and want to shed it of the factory Ruger synthetic, (not sure why as it shoots 1" groups with handloads, but stock is flimsy). I have priced online all the synthetics and not sure I want to drop $400+ on the McMillin or $250 on the Hogue overmolded with full bedding block. Not really concerned with weight and laminate it probably as strong as a stock can get. It looks like I could pick one of the Boyds up for $100 and then order a Brownells bedding kit. Opinions or experience??

Thanks

IMO the Boyds stocks have degraded in quality in the last few years. I would recommend that you either watch Gunbroker or Ebay for a used factory laminate, or you could just call Ruger and buy a brand newone. BTW I think the ones from the new Hawkeyes are much nicer shaped than the older ones and they will fit just fine.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    IMO the Boyds stocks have degraded in quality in the last few years. I would recommend that you either watch Gunbroker or Ebay for a used factory laminate, or you could just call Ruger and buy a brand newone. BTW I think the ones from the new Hawkeyes are much nicer shaped than the older ones and they will fit just fine.
    i kind of have to agree on the hawkeye stocks... i have my 300, 338 in the Laminate from the 90's and the new hawkeye... love my laminates though.. lovem..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here