Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite parts to eat?

Default What are your favorite parts to eat?

What parts do you like the most from the game you harvest? Obviously backstraps rank pretty far up there but what other parts? Do you eat any of the internal organs?

I helped with a moose this year and as we were wrapping up at the kill site and loading the wheelers, I asked them if they were going to take the heart. Man, they looked at me like I was crazy and said NO! I got right to work and cut it out in short order. It left an impression on a couple of the guys and they even saved me one from another moose they got on the 24th.

When I was growing up in the Yukon, we didn't have electricity and dried all of our meat in the spring. Other than fish, we didn't get fresh meat until fall so when we got the first moose, we would always cook up the heart as soon as we got home. I guess I aquired quite a taste for it as it is still one of my favorite parts. I have eaten moose, caribou, bear, and small game hearts and they are all delicious. We used to eat the livers too (although a rutting moose liver is pretty rank) and the kidneys. Even tried the guts a few times (natives in the Yukon LOVE them) and they are pretty good if cleaned well.

So you all can go ahead and laugh at me, but I am curious if others like some of these "non-traditional" parts.

Heart was always camp meat after the kill, fried up in butter, mmmmm, next was the liver when it was fresh. My mom always wanted me to bring the tounge home, and if the camp was right we would mix the brains in with eggs.

Tenderloins baby!

I don't mind the heart, but unless it can be cooked right away I don't care for it much. One of my favorite cuts is the eye of round in the hind quarters.

Tenderloins for me also, but I did keep the heart from the moose I shot this year & my hunting partners father in law (who is a native Alaskan) is going to cook it up when he comes for Christmas. I'm very excited as I have never had heart before, but we'll see if it's better than that sweet T-loin!!

Backstrap is favorite, but I do like fried heart...I messed that up this year by putting two bullets through the heart, go figure.

And Rock, I almost got in trouble with my Ma when I got back to Anchorage and she found out I forgot the tongue from my caribou.

Heart is always the first thing I eat from a game animal. Tenderloins are right up there and backstrap. But don't overlook a good meal of neck and noodles. Cooked all day, neck is about as tender of meat as you can find. Also I like a good tongue sandwhich.

As for birds, I'm a big gizzard fan, especially when they've been eating berries. Ptarmigan gizzards in the winter when they've been eating frozen berries is a treat!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

gotta say the tenderlion for me too... love the heart kind of really hurt this year giving them all to the school... LOL .. also will eat the kidneys stewed or in a shepards pie... but the real way to cook them is toss them in a pot and boil the pissoutathem...

i keep trying to save the tongue as i love it... but don't know how to cook it tender.. tried once and failed. BAD! will have the liver turned into liverworst when i am short on it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

RIBS

if they are pressure cooked before baking, they are outstanding. just as good as tenderloin for me.

The neck, with the bone left in and roasted. Best flavor I think, is next to the bone.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Moose T-Bones are first on the list -

Liver. yech! Heart... I have eaten it with barbeque sauce right after the kill, and it was OK. But what my family really likes is the tongue of both moose and caribou. Another favorite is the trimmings of hung meat. We soak them in a marinade and put them in the smoker for jerkey.

We have found that most cuts of meat are tender and flavorful when pressure cooked. Of course backstrap and steaks are best left as they are. And oh yeah; we love dem ribs, especially the fatty ones! Yes, we like our moose and caribou fat just fine.

I'm glad to hear others like organ meat. I forgot about the tongue! They make awesome sandwiches. Vince, I will have to ask my mom how to cook tongue...she used to do a killer tongue and we sliced and made sandwiches with it....I will let you know but I think she baked it or broiled it...I know it involved the oven.

Tongue for me, followed by kidneys. And lace, wherever you use it. Necks are great corned like corned beef.

The tongue probably weighs two pounds, and it's even better than beef tongue- Sandwiches are great, but so are pickled slices.

Kidney is better than beef too. Steak and kidney pie all the way!

Lace? That' the thin fat layer over the paunch. Hang it on a bush to dry and harden while you're skinning/quartering, then roll it in waxed paper for the trip home. Sweeter than butter when you wrap it around a roast before cooking, like some folks do with bacon.

liver breaded in krusteze sprinkled with spices and fried!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I always cook the heart and liver. It's the best hunting season treat. Deer liver sandwiches are the best the next day. Breaded and pan fried slices, with a little onion, cheese, and mayo. Can't be beat.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

We corn all the brisket. I love the ribs as do my kids ~ pressure cook to get real tender then throw on the bbq.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Lace? That' the thin fat layer over the paunch. Hang it on a bush to dry and harden while you're skinning/quartering, then roll it in waxed paper for the trip home. Sweeter than butter when you wrap it around a roast before cooking, like some folks do with bacon.
    Excellent idea - I'll give that a shot next year.

Another thing I really want to try is grinding up kidney fat into our burger meat. We've started making burger without fat because we'd rather avoid the pork/beef suet, but I understand that kidney fat is great and makes a juicy burger. That's on my to-do list next time I get something. On that note does fat change flavor due to rut like the meat does? If we're taking a post-rut bull caribou, will the fat take on a "gamey" flavor?

First thing we do is pull the tongue

We boil the tongue in saltwater, remove and the membrane comes off, then slice it for sandwiches or for canning in jars in pressure cooker

Tongue and heart are some of our favorites. Here is diced heart being cooked up

Also we go right for the kidney fat and lace

Have gotten five gallons of kidney fat before from larger fat bulls. Our first meals typically include copious quantities of diced kidney fat for cooking oil.

Other than that, certainly tenderloin and backstrap. We had the best burgers ever last week with ground backstrap mixed with ground kidney fat...what a way to use backstrap <grin>.

If you can't eat all the heart at once, diced heart jarred up makes some of the best spaghetti sauce ingredient (in lieu of meat) we have ever had.

Beyond that, this year we've been eating the brisket and ribs first, had a rolled rib roast the other night...fat brisket meat is great to also brine like corned beef in a five gallon bucket for sandwiches in the winter. It's all good really, just have to deal with it the right way and cook it up the right way.

What Mark said...

And rolled rib roast tied with backstap sinew is also a family favorite!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On that note does fat change flavor due to rut like the meat does? If we're taking a post-rut bull caribou, will the fat take on a "gamey" flavor?
    While the outer fat certainly can turn rank on bulls in rut, I've never had so much of a whiff from the fat in the body cavity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast