Thread: 25 & 26 Hayflats report

Default 25 & 26 Hayflats report

Sat the 25th windy but ducks had no issues coming into the deeks. Saw allot more Mallards than last week. Partner went for a walk and kicked up almost a 100 birds they were sitting tight no pressure they all flew towards Duck Lake. Lots of shooting from DL. Finished with 11 > 9 Mallards 1 Gadwall 1 Widgeon saw several flocks of Geese all coming and going out of inlet. Sunday morning the Mallards were few and far, slight breeze and colder paper thin ice on secluded pockets of water. Pintails have shown up saw several big flocks but did not want to play. Duck Lake was pretty much silent. Finished with 5 Mallards 2 Pintails 2 1 Green Wing. 5 Cranes and 3 flocks of Geese were seen. The Cranes and one flock of Geese were on the deck but going opposite direction044.jpg

Hunted Duck lake on Sunday, pretty tough going, there were a few birds in the first hour then died off after that. I think they got shot up pretty good on Friday and Saturday and just weren't there on Sunday. Hopefully some more show up. I got a feeling with some of this clear weather will move some of the birds out. Hopefully some more will show up.

Hunted Mud Lake on sunday to test out the mini long tail on the sneak boat. Lots of fun running a semi displacment boat though the muck out there with a long tail.

The water in Mud/Gull has dropped about 10 inches in the last week which is shutting out most any outboard user. Its even hard to paddle a canoe in many spots. I could not get my boat into Gull since the water in the beaver dam cut was only 4 inches deep and would not float the Brant. Darned sneak box!

There were a few birds around but holding tight until you moved the boat and then they would just fly off to the back of Gull or to Swan/Leaf. Some high flyers did think about working, but most just kept on going. Only one bird came close enough and my poor gun mount for an overhead shot just educated him more.

I hope anyone that was out at Leaf or Swan Sunday afternoon found the two fish biologists in the green canoe doing OK. They were using the old 1953 USGS topo map and were seriously lost trying to get into Jim Creek to get to Leaf to do their fish study.

It was a nice day to be out in the marsh and testing the new mini motor. Need a smaller flat bottom boat to get the most out of this little beast.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I think they got shot up pretty good on Friday and Saturday and just weren't there on Sunday. .
    Sorry about that I may be partially responsible. Just watching the water empty out of the portage on friday (slough side of duck lake) was worth being there. I have heard of it happening but never seen it. And don't care to see it again. I'll try to get some pictures posted later in october