Thread: Dodge 6.7 Diesel for the interior?

Default Dodge 6.7 Diesel for the interior?

I maybe moving to Delta Junction in a month and I'm trying to decide if my 4x4 Dodge 6.7 diesel with 6 spd manual tranny can handel the cold. I plan on running synthetic 5-30 in the engine. I've been running Dodge diesels since 1991 here in the lower 48 and I hate the thought of going back to wimpy, gas 4x4s. (I want to be able to pull my travel trailer or 25' Custom Weld around in the summer.)

I've had no problems down to -10 here in Idaho with just an engine block heater; but with temps down to -50 is it better just to sell the diesel and go to gas? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wfoidaho View Post
    I maybe moving to Delta Junction in a month and I'm trying to decide if my 4x4 Dodge 6.7 diesel with 6 spd manual tranny can handel the cold. I plan on running synthetic 5-30 in the engine. I've been running Dodge diesels since 1991 here in the lower 48 and I hate the thought of going back to wimpy, gas 4x4s. (I want to be able to pull my travel trailer or 25' Custom Weld around in the summer.)

I've had no problems down to -10 here in Idaho with just an engine block heater; but with temps down to -50 is it better just to sell the diesel and go to gas? Any ideas?
    The oil companies use Powerstroked Fords in the arctic. Doyon bought a Cummins Dodge as their mechanics truck on rig 141 but the mechanics couldn't keep it in service. ASRC uses GMC w/ Duramax but thats only cause the corp owns a GMC dealership in Montana

My 2001 dodge has been woking just fine, it you let it sit for a few days and not plugged in at -15 it starts hard but it still starts. Not sure about the sin oil you are talking about i used the normal type for my dodge. You may want to add a extra heater on it when it gets real cold.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Wfoidaho View Post

add on an oil pan heat, tranny pan heat, and a grill bra for the front of your truck that closes up tight and yours will do well.. for the bra once you get here just bring it to Alaska tent and tarp here in Fairbanks they will take care of that quick. the pan heaters you can add your self. easy enough.. they just silicone to the well of the oil pans and run the heat cords up to a common block 4 way plug under the hood. i have never had need for battery heaters up here so don't worry on those.

i am running the 6.4 power stroke and a 7.3
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have an 09 6.7 and never had any problems. This truck isn't as fast as a gasser to warm up but oh well.

Do some research on http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-cummins/ and you will learn alot about that motor and what it likes and don't like. For one, it doesn't like to idle. It will plug off your DPF filter. I will let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes before I leave. More time idleing doesn't mean more heat, just more fuel burning with out tires moving. The problem with the 6.7 on the north slope is direcly based on the DPF filters and idleing. When it's cold nothing gets shut off and the filter gets plugged. we have the same issues with our tractors that have DPF.
    I removed my EGR to reduce the load on the DPF. As soon as warranty is over the DPF is going away.me 025.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have never had need for battery heaters up here so don't worry on those.
    Wow. I have always used the battery heaters in my vehicles, and if my 500-inch V-10 isn't plugged in, it won't even turn over, and this is not a high-comp diesel. I also recommend the oil pan and tranny heaters.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Wow. I have always used the battery heaters in my vehicles, and if my 500-inch V-10 isn't plugged in, it won't even turn over, and this is not a high-comp diesel. I also recommend the oil pan and tranny heaters.
    the problem is that sealed batteries can be damaged by over heating. battery pads and blankets are notorious for failing and cooking batteries. a battery will not freeze unless it looses it charge. in all my adult years in ak.. ( as i did not drive as a kid; 42 year res) living well off the grid in places, using gen set, propane and every mean necassary to warm a rig.. i have never had need to heat my battery unless i was leaving it for months on end then i pulled it.. a daily driver gets enough use to keep them up and running. if they make you feel better fine... but are un- necassary

frost plug heat, oil pan heat, tranny pan heater... YES hell i have even had to thaw the dif oil at -78, but i have never cooked a battery.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the replies guys. I did some checking on the syn oils for the cummings; response was don't use it stick with the Delo LE. You all mentioned Trans heaters; is this needed for a six speed manual trans.?

I never use Delo in my 6.7. I always use Rotella synthetic blend and have never had a problem starting in the winter. Actually last winter I used straight Rotella and never had a problem.

You shouldn't have any problems with bringing your 6.7 to Alaska. Us the basic heating stuff others have mentioned and you will be fine.

The last manual tranny I had I just put the transfer case in neutral and put the tranny in 1st gear to warm up the tranny while the motor warmed up. Now days you can get some good synthetic tranny oil that would take care of thick oil exept for the coldest of days.