Thread: Setting up a boat for moose hunting-Comments appreciated

Default Setting up a boat for moose hunting-Comments appreciated

I thought it might be best to start a new thread on this. Several of you like Eggy and Sport Drifter gave some good information about jets so I have some information to go on.
    I have always wanted to accomplish some long moose hunting trips with a river boat. Some of my friends used to put in on the Yukon at the haul road and run up beyond Galena and the Koyukuk for some good moose hunting.
    If finances permit I plan on purchasing the boat this year and the motor next year unless a really good used boat presents itself.
    The boat would be used once a year for moose and the rest of the summer chasing salmon in our rivers. It would NEVER be used in the salt as I have a boat for the ocean. It would be an advantage to have it set up to accept a prop for the run up the Yukon for fuel economy. But I wouldnt want to spend more than say $2,000 to accomplish this or I would eat up any potential fuel savings in the years to come.
    I doubt I would ever have three adults in it while moose hunting but on short fishing trips there could be four of us for day trips.
    I am leaning towards the Woodridge 20 foot Alaskan II with a 4 stroke outboard ranging from 150-200 hp. Yamaha and Honda both make a 150 and 200 and Suzuki makes a nice 175. I don't have any brand loyalty towards any of them and consider them all to be good outboards. I would attempt to keep the cost of the entire package in the lower $30's. Any and all thoughts are appreciated but I am convinced we do not want an inboard motor due to the expense and loss of deck space.
    What type of fuel consumption are you folks getting with these newer 4 stroke jets on similar boats? I have a chance to do this with a "clean slate" and I appreciate comments from people who are knowledgeable.
    Thank you
    Tennessee

I would also consider getting the Woodridge 20 foot Xtra Plus boat as well. Thicker bottom but not quite as large inside as the Alaskan II.
    Tennessee