Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What firearm manufacture did you choose for your .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag rifles?

Default What firearm manufacture did you choose for your .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag rifles?

Been reading on the .300 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag rifles, there are lot of choices of gun makers. Never shot either of them. It seems that a lot of folks like the Remington, Ruger models. What Mfg/Model would you pick?

Thanks

Can't have just one I've got Ruger, Winchester, and custom Mauser 98. In both .300 and .338. Love them all. Got a friend with a tack driving Remington he loves. I might be the wrong person to answer a question like this as I can find good in all rifles.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

After lots of bolts under the bridge, I finally settled on Ruger #1's for both. But I lengthened the throats to seat the bullets out with their bases to the bottom of the necks. You can't even fit my rounds into the magazine of most bolts. Combined with the 26" barrel, the extra powder capacity does good things for both rounds, even as the rifle isn't over-long due to its short action. And with practice reloading is virtually as fast as a bolt. Not an "average" setup by any means, but it suits my needs and tastes to a T.

In 1987, I bought a Remington 700 BDL in .300 Win Mag. It gets an A+ grade from me for its performance and 100% reliability over the years. I have no idea how it compares to newer Remingtons, but I'm glad I bought that rifle. My other bolt action rifles are Weatherbys of larger calibers.

I really like my Sako mdl 75 Stainless in .300 win mag, mounted a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36 scope on it and it is an accurate hunting rifle, rifle quality was very good. Never any issues with cycling, chambering and extracting cartridges. Have a few other .300s and even a .338 but the Sako is my favorite .300 of them all. My Winchester mdl 70 Classic Stainless in .300 WSM is second in line. As for my .338 Win mag, it has some issues that need to be corrected by a gunsmith. Extractor needs replacing, and the chamber possibly needs to be redone, rifle is a Remington 700 BDL Stainless. Second time I had problems with the Remington 700s that were made in the 1990s.

have a Sako L61R .338 WM and a Win. M70 P64 .338 WM.....gave them both to my boys. Had one .300 WM Rem 700 and it was with my reloads literally a "tack" shooter. Now I've a .30-338 WM J.C.Higgins M50. Anymore I settle with either my Win M70 or Rem M30 .388-06.....tough to beat the .33 cals.

If I were in the market for a new rifle I would look long and hard at the "NEW" Winchester Model 70s being made by FNH. They just added a 338 Win Mag to the line up. I own 2 of them in 325WSM and 270WSM, they come factory bedded, adjustable trigger, fluted barrel, control round feed, 3 position safety, all mounted in a B&C stock. Both mine shoot sub MOA right out of the box.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    In 1987, I bought a Remington 700 BDL in .300 Win Mag. It gets an A+ grade from me for its performance and 100% reliability over the years. I have no idea how it compares to newer Remingtons, but I'm glad I bought that rifle. My other bolt action rifles are Weatherbys of larger calibers.
    It seems I got a bum Rem 700 in 300 WM. It was rough feeding (even deeply scratching ceses) and sometimes would not chamber a factory round......the bullet point would hang up on the rim of the action opening. Sent it back to remington. They "polished" the feeding ramp. It still felt rough and scratched cases. Accuracy was fine....1" to 1.5" groups.

I sold it and bought a used 300WM Ruger MKII with open sights. Slick as can be!

I'm not saying that all the newer rems are bad. I have a 700 BDL stnls in 375 H&H that is very slick feeding, hardly feel the cartridge going in.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    After lots of bolts under the bridge, I finally settled on Ruger #1's for both. But I lengthened the throats to seat the bullets out with their bases to the bottom of the necks. You can't even fit my rounds into the magazine of most bolts. Combined with the 26" barrel, the extra powder capacity does good things for both rounds, even as the rifle isn't over-long due to its short action. And with practice reloading is virtually as fast as a bolt. Not an "average" setup by any means, but it suits my needs and tastes to a T.
    WAY, to go, BB:

I like your approach.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Don't it all boil down to your choice of action?

The Weatherby Vanguard would be my choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My 338 is a Ruger. No particular reason than at the time, Long's Drugs had them on sale. For those of you that know about Long's Drugs, you know how long ago that could have been and for those of you who don't, let's just say that the rifle is almost 20 years old. It's the older Mark II with the paddle stock and garbage trigger but I've shot it a LOT and am perfectly comfortable with the recoil and used to the trigger. Average groups are 1/2". I also have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 338. The recoil is fast due to the lighter weight but not unbearable. Accuracy is pretty good but the load is under construction trying to find the one that will be the best.

I had a 300 that was a Remington and it was a semi-custom by a local smith. I hated that rifle for a number of reasons that range from the service I got from the smith to the fact that it shot okay but never shot how I wanted it to. Sold it for a pretty good loss. I now own a new Win 70 SS. It shoots very well and is comfortable to shoot. Doesn't beat the snot out of you. The stock fits me well especially for a factory stock.

I like Ruger but the new Winchester has my attention.

I gave a Ruger 300WM to a cousin last year for X-Mas, it shot very well.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Mas?highlight=

DSC01305.JPG

I've had 338s in two Remington 700s, a Tikka 695, and now a Sako 85. I've shot them in pre & post 64 Winchesters, a Browning A-Bolt, new & old Ruger 77s, a Sako 75, AV & TRG-S, a Kimber Super America and a few custom-built M98s ranging from my brother's basement to a full-up Montana Rifle Co. special. Of all those guns, the MRC had the nicest fit and finish, but it didn't shoot any better than the Sakos or Remingtons. The accuracy of the Remingtons w/ specific loads was very nice, but consistent accuracy with hunting bullets left a bit to be desired. Every Winchester I've ever shot in anything larger than 30-06 beat the snot out of me, and the 338s were very, very unpleasant. The Kimber SA was gorgeous, almost to the level of the MRC rifle, but it tended to scatter groups unless it was meticulously cleaned every 10 rounds (it was properly broken-in). The Tikka was wonderfully accurate, a joy to carry, priced beneath Remington and Winchester, and fit me like a glove. I sold it because I moved out of state and have been trying to get it back ever since. The new T-3 doesn't hold a candle to the previous Tikkas, so I've never been compelled to buy one. The Sako AV was nice, but I don't really include them as a practical rifle because it's so difficult to know what you're going to find in a 20yr old rifle. The one I shot was accurate and cleanly assembled, but the wood was a bit dull and the owner said he'd looked for many years and passed by many others before he found one that met his standards. The TRG-S felt slightly blocky in my hands, and I never could get comfortable enough with it to make it my own. The action was silky smooth, the rifle more accurate than I could hold it and I think I could have probably come to like it given enough time at the range.

I said all that to end with this: The only reason I now own a Sako 85 is because I couldn't find a Sako 75 when I was in the market. The two are very similar, but the 75 stock is slightly different and the overall build quality is a bit better. My 85 shoots as good as any hunting rifle I've ever put across a bench, looks good, carries easily, and is readily available. For the slight price difference between a Sako and a Remington or Winchester, the choice was very easy. Of course, YMMV
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

I shoot a FN mauser action in .300 Mag. Love the CRF.

I really like the 300 WM, but there are a couple caveats. The OAL can be touch and go with a lot of .308 bullets heavier than 165 grains in standard length magazines (3.35). Likewise, factory ammo generally leaves a lot to be desired in performance (accuracy & velocity). If I were in the market for another 300 I'd look for a bolt-action with a longer magazine (3.65) and would like a 24 inch barrel. The Howa/Vanguard is a good start and a great value; drop the Tupperware stock, adjust the trigger and you've got a killer combination. A Rem 700 would also work nicely IMO, albeit at increased cost. While other actions are okay, to truly make the 300 WM take flight you need an increase in magazine length IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That was the concern that pushed me to the Ruger #1- By lengthening the throat I could seat the bullets in both calibers way out, and with that short action, a rifle with a 26" barrel is essentially no longer than a bolt with a 24" barrel. I wouldn't think of publishing my loads here because they're quite a bit over standard max due to the extra powder space. And velocities are pushed into the realm of the 300 Wby and 340 Wby at very reasonable pressures. But if I was going back to a bolt, it would either be the Howa/Vanguard or a Remy like you said for mag length.

I kinda fell out of the habit of shooting both of them, and a buddy talked me out of them last year. I suspect it's working for him too, because he's since sold both his bolt versions.

I have Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag that I purchased over 15 years ago and it is still a tack driver. The only thing I would change is the trigger...I would love to drop the accu trigger in my 111, but unfortunately I don't think you can from what I read.

I am purchasing a Howa model 1500, stainless with the hogue stock. They have a 3 position safety. I can't wait to set it up a try it out...oh, it is in the 338 Win Mag and also comes with an adjustable trigger.

I recently picked up a new Win M70 SS severe weather in .300WM. I liked all the features that Stid mentioned above + I'm a nut for CRF Mauser actions. I really like it so far with just using factory loads. Mounted a Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 B&C on it. She fed my family so I'll let her stick around for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 09-26-2010 at 22:15. Reason: Spelling and punctuation

Did/Would...my 338 is a LH Winchester from the "old" factory. I've been very happy with mine. Only thing I'd change is to have it in SS...maybe shorten the barrel...maybe a different extractor...maybe a few other small items.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast