Thread: Looking for advice

Default Looking for advice

I am planning on moving to Alaska in about a year and trying to get all my ducks in a row before I do. I am looking at the Girdwood area. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to start looking at what there is for work and a place to live. I am a pipe welder and also have a class A CDL.

My dream jobs would working for a hunting and fishing guide service during the summer and working at Alyeska during the winter but to get started I'll take what pays the bills. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Moving to Alaska

Moving to Alaska is a huge emotional and economic venture. Do youself a favor and buy a ticket to come up and explore exactly what you talked about. Sounds realistic enough if the need exists for your skills and you can get your foot in the right doors. Just like anywhere else, meeting the right person at the right time and place can make all the difference.

While I love Girdwood, there isn't much there for professional work. Yeah, you can work at the resort, but most resort jobs are fairly low paying. I was a ski instructor for five years and loved the free season pass, but it's not an income to build a life around. Realistically you'll want to look for work in Anchorage. I imagine a good welder or driver could find work in Anchorage, and the 30-45 minute commute isn't too terrible. Weather can be a bear along that stretch of highway, but there isn't much traffic in the winter, so it's doable. Another option would be trying to get a welding job on the North Slope (oil fields). If you could figure out a 2 weeks on/2 off rotation, living in Girdwood would be spectacular for your time off.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not worried about the emotional aspect of moving too much. Afghanistan didn't bother me so I think I should be able to handle moving to Alaska.

The north slope would be ideal if I can get in with a company. The drive to Anchorage doesn't seem to bad considering I'm from Maine and usually work between Mass and New Jersey. Winter driving is something I have experience with.

Can you point me in the direction as where to look for places to live between Girdwood and Anchorage? Is there any towns in between?

You could probably find an affordable abode in Bird Creek or Indian. Girdwood housing is extremely expensive.
    If you're into quaint places to reside you should check out Cordova. You would more than likely find more welding work than you can shake a stick at. Theres quite a few people from Maine there as well. The Largest welding shop is owned by Lenny Peterson (Petersons Welding) and believe it or not he is from Maine. His shop is for sale though, he has been so busy for the last few years I'm pretty sure he got rich enough to retire

Well if I could have half that luck I'd be set. Thanks for the info I'll look into those places. I'm from a small town and don't mind living in one as long as there is somewhere within a couple hours drive that has more than a wal*mart and 2 stop lights.

I would try to secure a good job first then look at the available housing. Is there a reason you are aiming for Girwood?

I love to ski and would like to be close to Alyeska. As far as a job first that's why I'm asking around seeing what the job market is like.

Have you been looking at the anchorage daily newspaper? AND.Com
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Yes I have I look at it about twice a week. It gives me an idea on what there is for work and housing available.

Out2 pasture
    If you look in the yellow pages there are job agencies. That is the easiest route I know. It may not be the best job but its a sure thing and after your up there you'll get a better idea about which way to go.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

You need to make 15 posts before you can send or receive Personal Messages.

Thanks. I'm going to start sending resume's to the big companies like CH2MHILL and ASRC for welding/pipeline helper jobs on the North Slope and I'm looking rate now to see what there is for companies for truck driving.

Has anyone got any experience working on the North Slope or know of where to apply for the jobs.

One more question what is the average price of gas in the Anchorage, Girdwood area? I don't mind traveling a little ways to get to work but don't want to spend a majority of my paycheck in fuel.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UT...s+anchorage+ak Gas prices

Have you gone directly to the companies websites like Halliburton, B.P., CONICO PHILLIPS

http://http://www.alaskapipelinejobinfo.com/alaska-north-slope-jobs-resources.html

Out2Pasture, try this website http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Welder&l=Alaska
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Hey thanks for the websites. Kevin I've looked at the websites just haven't seen anything specific yet.