Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In trying to get you guys a "is he 50" thread, I almost get killed...

Default In trying to get you guys a "is he 50" thread, I almost get killed...

So I'd see how close I could get. The bull was half a mile off when I first spotted him, and I headed out towards the pipeline to get some video of me calling him in. At the first grunt, he switched directions and started my way. At the first cow moan, the antler tipping starts and he is grunting with every step. I am a quarter mile away from the truck with nothing but my camcorder rolling as this rut crazed bull is coming right to me.

At about 40 yards, I yelp out a long desperate cow moan. He comes in with eye's bulging out of his head... litterally. When he was at 20 yards, I stopped him, but couldn't take my concentration off his eye. It looked like it was punctured by another bull from fighting. Then realization set in, I'm eyeballing this bull at 20 yards. Here he comes, tipping antlers, grunting with every step, meanwhile I keep the camera rolling. At 10 yards I had enough, so I step out more into the open and yell, "Hey moose". He stops in his tracks, looks me over, lowers his head and charges full on. I dive behind the one VSM and he cuts to the inside of it. I jolt back to the otherside, briefly getting him back on video. He charges at me again, this time coming within a couple feet, just on the other side of the VSM again. I run behind the other VSM getting a more comfortable 10' gap between me and the bull. If he had come under the 4-5' tall crossmember, he would of had me. Instead, he walked away.

My heart hasn't raced like that in a long time. This is the second bull encounter I've had this month at less than 5 feet away. The first was nearly getting trampled from a spooked bull at moose camp on the 11th.

So, here he is, in all his glory. Just north of pump station 3 off the Haul Road. 2X2 brow tines obviously, but will he stretch the tape to 50"?

How about that close up?

Last two pictures...

Regardless of how close he got to you, despite your thumping heart, he is clearly not a fifty inch bull.
    He will go 45 inches, +- 1 inch.

But the sequence of pictures is remarkable! And I completely enjoyed your ordeal.
    Looking through your camera viewfinder- at that very close distance- I imagine he appeared very large anyway!

dennis

Default Doesn't look like it

That bull doesn't look 50 to me, looks like a nice 45 to 48 incher, one of those bulls that will be over 50 next year. Doesn't lay out and his points aren't very long. Also going by the 8 points (besides brow tine) rule he fails on that too. I count 7 by 5. I will say he is very close to having three tine on his right side. But too close to risk, so in a 50/ 3-brow tine area I wouldn't shoot this bull.

I agree Dennis, I think he is high 40's and doesn't quite meet the 50" mark. Sure looked like a 70" bull from 3 feet away though!

When I get back home, I can upload the video. You can hear the grunting with every step, and get a good look at his bugged out eyes.

Jerod, great story and pictures! I'm not sure if he'll stretch 50 or not. He looks a little shy but I'll look at him for a while longer. Next time don't bathe in that "cow in heat" urine before you go out.

Be careful bro! No, doesn't look like 50 to me either.

45" or so. Surely not 50 by any means. Nice close up! I screwed around with a big bull one year (65" or so) and I almost got trampled! Quite the rush! I'll have to find that video sometime!

ahhhh Jerod.... your killin me man... I spent a week up there looking for any bull (I drew the tag) and didnt even see one... just north of PS3 huh??? UUUUGGGHHH.

that is a GREAT story and pics man!!! thanks for sharing

G

I was thinking about you tag holders. I knew it was an any bull area, but good practice for the 50" field judging. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the bull a little further away, both coming and going. Sure looks bigger from a little distance. They are a lot easier to judge up close and personal.

I think they need to extend the archery moose season up here for the permit holders. Sure see a lot more moose at the end of September and into October. The flag lady at one of the road jobs said they have been seeing a bunch of moose all over the last week or so. Go figure.

I'm calling photoshop. J/K

My guess is low 40's, more specifically 42 inches.

I will opine the low 40s as well, 42-43". I could imagine the adrenaline rush while reading your encounter !

Kinda neat pictures for sure, I would think he is low 40's def nothing I would even consider if 50+ is the deal.

Just a what if thought, do you think calling sub legal bulls educates them or makes them call shy for future callers.

I am gonna guess 46", maybe 45". Just deff. not a shooter in a 50" area!

I am in agreement with the 40-42 range. Another year or two for 50+. The image series does remind me of a herd bull that came up on the wife and I after we downed one of his cows.

Sooooo.....wheres this video?!

Jeff, good point. I think it would make him more call shy, but possibly more tolerable of people getting close to him.

Here are a few more shots of him at a distance. To me he looks like he is bigger from further away. I showed the video to one guy up here and he said no question he would shoot him in a 50" area... yikes.

You are nuts man haha great pics. Chris

Low 40ish would be my guess. I also question the legality of doing this type of thing. Bulls are stressed to the max right now and I for one, honestly feel we should watch them from a distance and let them go about doing what they do. Calling right now, only adds to their likelihood of an early demise and wasting their energy. To me, this is one of the most unethical things one could do. During the season, for reason of killing one, I have no problem with it. But....for a pic or kicks, I do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Sooooo.....wheres this video?!
    I couldn't find my cord to hook the camcorder up at home, so I figured it was at work. Well, it ain't here either so when I get home on Thursday I'll have to find it at home. I need to upload the video from my niece's moose hunt as well. I'll try and get it up here before next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast