Thread: Finally . . . grouse down!

Exclamation Finally . . . grouse down!

2010 09 25 Grouse (9).jpgFinally . . .
    2010 09 25 Grouse (3).jpg
    They have all been good, but Max and I finally had a great day afield.

Walked a couple miles busting through brush filled blueberry patches along a large clearing. It paid off – flushed up 7-8 and knocked down 5 – all on the wing. All single flushes but one -- when 4 birds took to wing at once. Took home two spruce grouse and three sharpies.

Max finally witnessed why we’ve been tromping around the woods as of late. He also got some good exposure to the gun. No points, but I think they were flushing out too far ahead of us to give him a true chance. Max grabbed up the first wounded, but still running bird – not sure I could have caught up with him in the thick woods he fell into. Max also located the third bird we folded up that I couldn’t find. By the last bird of the morning, Max was getting the idea of the “flush, boom, bird” cycle and actually found and retrieved the downed bird to my hand – pretty cool.

Bsj425 might be right about the cold – I don’t think it was even 20 deg yet when I took my first shot.

Right on! I have seen grouse in crazy numbers this year way more than the past 2 or 3 years and within the last week and a half when it has been 30 or colder in the mornings they have been out in very strong numbers. I got a hold of some judo tips so im going to try to get some with the bow tomorrow morning.

Sounds like an awesome time! And Max looks poised and ready to go for more!! TerryP

Nice job! That's a happy dog!

Default where are you hunting , fairbanks

you guys must be getting these in Fairbanks area , cause we havent found much down in Wasilla and such

Gotta chime in and say, if you are in Wasilla or surrounding area, don't get discouraged. I have seen lots!

Tailwind, Where at if you dont mind me asking, I have seen a few out at point mac a week ago but havnt really seen much here lately out around the biglake area. Next week im going to head out and try to find some.

Im gonna pm you allalaskan.

That's a good looking pup!

Great Job!

Good job, It's awesome watching the dogs work!!! Find some good ptarmigan spots and we will have to set a hunt up for max and nitro.

Thanks for all the -grats guys! Had to go out of town right afterward so I marinaded and grilled them the same night! I saved a sharpie for a potential mount -- but ate up the rest of them with some biscuits and beans. The sharpies were definitely the better tasting of the two - but both were good. Man I was full!
    Regards --
    Kyle