Thread: Ever seen one of these?

Default Ever seen one of these?

plucked off two grouse today for dinner...saw about 7 of them and coulda took all of them but controlled myself lol but the strange thing is, is that we found a dead bird on the entrance to our trail today...some kind of dove i think but it had a white stomach with black spots all over it..not sure what it was but got a pic with it before we left..sorry about the quality.... it had been there for a few days so didnt really wanna touch it..any clues? hope everyone is having a good season!

It kind of looks like a Merlin to me. But I'm squinting to see it on my iPhone screen.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Willow Grouse?

yes sir they are

Right on. Are you in the Wasilla area?

yup, all took out of wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    It kind of looks like a Merlin to me. But I'm squinting to see it on my iPhone screen.
    It is really hard to tell by your picture. I would have to agree with bird brain. It definitely looks like a raptor of some sort. Merlins are very common around here. It looks to small to be a goshawk, red-tailed hawk, or a rough-legged hawk. What happened to the head? That would give it away if you had the head. How did you say that it died again? If I were you I would freeze it and notify fish and game or else the US fish and wildlife service. You don't want to mess around with dead raptors. That is a good way to get yourself in trouble with the feds. I know it seems kinda silly, but they take that stuff pretty serious.

could have been a boreal owl... the spotting sounds like it.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'd also be careful in case it looks like it died of natural causes. You could end up with whatever it had.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I'd have to agree with those who guess it to be a Merlin, a cool little falcon.

Did it look sort of like this bird?

Jim

no...it was not any kind of hawk or falcon....i was guessing a type of dove...it had the same face and beak of one but the spotting was literally like little black dots all over a white belly with a brown body and orange tipped wings..... and it had definatly been hit recently as we did not see it one the walk in but as we came out of the woods and saw it on the trail....could only guess some wierd not native bird...but im stumped

This is a Northern Flicker, a type of woodpecker.

I'm not sure how much F&G cares about dead woodpeckers, but I know back home that flickers, or "yallerhammers" were very prized for their wing and tail feathers, which make a pretty darn good wet fly. I bet you'd slay the grayling with one... just split the wing feather so it's pliable, then wrap one half the entire length of the hook shank like a leech or wooly bugger.
    Illegal to kill on purpose, flickers were notorious for sitting in the road eating worms after a rain storm (just like possums), and I think a good many lost their lives to "stuck" accelerators and careless weaves across the centerline. Once dead, Tennessee's generous roadkill law allowed it to be kept for "consumption." I know of more than one trout fisherman who grilled a woodpecker for its wing feathers. Wrapped in bacon, I bet it's not too bad.

http://www.beaucatcher.com/Yallerhammer.html

This link is from a site in Washington. I'm not sure how much use it gets in the northwest, but the Yallerhammer fly originated in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    This is a Northern Flicker, a type of woodpecker.
    That's what I was thinking... Did it have a red patch on the back of it's neck/head?

I'm confused. It's a willow grouse, right?

Did it look like this Northern Flicker?
    NRA Lifetime Member

you nailed it right on the head with those pictures.....yes thats the bird, a northern flicker