Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final trip of the season out on the Sound

Default Final trip of the season out on the Sound

Fishing was not the focus of this trip, but enjoying a weekend on the water as a family sure was. Flat seas and blue skies were on the forecast. We had a steady 20 knot wind blowing out of the port of Whittier last Saturday morning. If it is blowing out, you head out and if it is blowing in, stay in. Generally speaking, the seas will lay down.

We rounded the corner of the break water and pushed the throttles forward. We had a three to four foot following sea. We made it around Decision Point and could see flat water ahead. My son told me to push the throttles forward. What is a dad to do? We are clipping along at 40 and the seas are laying down and the water ahead is glass. As we round the corner into the bay we plan on exploring for the weekend the coast guard makes an "all call" for a 16 foot zodiac in need of assistance in our area.

I respond to the call and got the coordinates from the CG and motor to the area to see how we can help. Their motor had seized and they were looking to hitch a ride back to Whittier. I told them that we could take them back, but not until the next afternoon. That worked for them. They had plenty of food and were staying in a forest service cabin, so shelter was not an issue. We told them that we would be back the next afternoon and proceeded to the anchorage for the rest of the weekend.

We set the hook and kicked back to enjoy hard earned sun. (We had a record breaking 31 straight days of rain this summer.) After grilling some dead cow we decided to take the tender to shore for an evening hike. On the way to shore we found a two foot by three foot chunk of whale blubber on the rocks. I have seen dead whales on the beach before, but never a small chunk like this:

Big foot?

This is about as good as it gets out there:

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What a place to raise a family!

We spent the evening eating blueberries and enjoying the views.

I knew my 37 inch sleeve length would come in handy:

Patience on the hook, in the distance:

The next morning we went for a hike. The sun was hot and the skies were clear. My seven year old is a hiking and running fool and my six year old, well, he is six.

Cooling off:

We made it back to Patience and had some lunch. Tristan motored us over to the forest service cabin.

He has actually spent a lot of "lap time" running the boat. He understands the moving map on the GPS and knows that the "stars" are rocks and he steers clear. It won't be long and he and his sister will be taking me out.

Here is a view from the forest service cabin that the guys from the zodiac were staying in:

Me in "motor floater", towing the guys and their gear to the boat. We broke the zodiac down and put in on the roof with mine and piled their gear on the back deck and headed to port. Great trip.

What an Outstanding Thread, Spoiled One, You are gettin' it right on the Great Place to raise kids for sure,

Super Nice Photos also, you got some wallhangers there I think

Thanks for posting, strong motivation to get the entire gang out there with me more often
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks for posting, strong motivation to get the entire gang out there with me more often
    I heard that! I was planning a hunt on the doe opener w/ a my future son-in-law, now I'm thinking I should bring my wife and daughters and leave him to winterize the house and clean the gutters

What a way to end the season spoiledone! great pics of your wonderful family

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. It is too bad it took so long for summer to hit. The rain didn't stop us from enjoying the Sound, but it sure is much nicer when the sky is blue.

Great writeup and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Pete & Family!
    Simply Awesome!

Thanks for sharing! You are right what a GREAT place to raise kids! You won't ever regret it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Great thread Pete. It is always nice when things lay down as you leave passage canal, usually they get worse. What anchorage did you stay in? Better get them out before they turn into teenagers.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Great thread Pete. It is always nice when things lay down as you leave passage canal, usually they get worse. What anchorage did you stay in? Better get them out before they turn into teenagers.
    We stayed in Three Fingers Cove. I have never dipped into Cochrane Bay before. We usually head out a bit further. I follow you on the teenagers. That is one of the reasons we had the boat built to sleep seven. My hope is that they will still want to come and hang out and bring a friend along. One can always hope.

Great post, I love PWS. I spend every spring there, but the fall hunting season always finds me elsewhere. Maybe next fall, I will try fishing instead. Loved the photos, looks like you have a couple fine first mates Capt Pete.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 09-27-2010 at 00:34.

Great post and beautiful photos. Can't wait for our little one to get old enough to enjoy the trips on the water. Sorry we didn't get to hook up this season but hopefully we can meet up in the sound sometime next year.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    My hope is that they will still want to come and hang out and bring a friend along. One can always hope.
    That is the first statement out of my 14 year old's mouth about each time we are going somewhere (Can I bring a friend?"). The ideal case is that I find more friends with boats that my kids are freinds with so they can come on their own. Hopefully your son gets addicted like you and helps you drag the rest of the gang along...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Great post, thanks for sharing.

I am guessing we were out that same time period. We set out to scale Perry Peak and after 6.5 hours of round trip bushwhacking the payoff was a million dollar view of the sound.
    We are hoping the weather will cooperate for another trip out, but current forecasts look dismal.
    IMG_3131.jpg
    Looking at Lone Island
    IMG_3123.jpg
    Cap and Crew
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Nice pictures, Jay. In another couple seasons my kids will be up for a trek like that. I am sad to say that my boating season is over. The boat is on its pad and winterized. Six more months and we'll be back at it!

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    We set out to scale Perry Peak and after 6.5 hours of round trip bushwhacking the payoff was a million dollar view of the sound.

Looks like a fun time, and another trip I had hoped to repeat this summer but ran out of time. By the way, I have done this trip in the past starting from the sand beach on the east side of East Twin Bay on Perry. From here it is only a few feet of alders, and then an easy walk all the way to the top.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We went at it from the head of East Twin, made a couple of wrong turns, than took another way down. But hay, it was a gorgeous sunny day and no injuries. I know what beach you’re referring too, we almost took that route in hopes of walking up the ridge.
    After seeing a little of the white stuff Sunday I think the boat will get tucked in for the winter next weekend.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Did you guys see much deer sign on Perry?
    Awesome pics BTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast