Thread: End of Hunting Season Nixed by Cold Weather

Default End of Hunting Season Nixed by Cold Weather

Well hell...low water and now very cold weather the past three days has nixed really getting upriver in canoe to camp and hunt. 1 degree this morning! Quite the day yesterday trying to line and pole upstream a couple miles, realized it was just gonna get worse. Here is the river this morning, looking to be an early winter. I walked out on that shelf ice, thick enough to support me.

WOW! Mark that is really cold! It was 27 here this morning. Hopefully winter will wait one more week so I can take the kids out on our annual fall beaver trapping/hunting trip. Going to duck hunt tomorrow!

Man, that's a different world you folks live in up there, It's Cold here too, like 52F
    tho, Yes, it's blowin NE 40, so seems a bit chilly but... ICE in SEPT !?!?!?

DOn't ya just love the Fall tho, Here it Comes.............
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Does this mean you are going into the winter without a moose? Winter is on its way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Does this mean you are going into the winter without a moose? Winter is on its way.
    They got one moose earlier in the season, but I think they were hoping for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    They got one moose earlier in the season, but I think they were hoping for a second.

Gotcha, Brian. I was envisioning a Costco meat drop down the line.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

spoiled one,

We got a small bull on the 13th but really need two moose to get us through the entire winter. I'll post a hunt report soon...was an interesting season for sure. Was trying to get to fed lands above us to hunt til the 30th (fed subsistence season gives us five more days) but yesterday I realized that there was a good chance the river would not be liquid for the return <grin>.

Your in 25B, correct? You have another bull season coming Dec. 1 to the 15. Ought to be another bull somewhere around.
    You've said before you would eat bear and wolf if you had to. Both black and griz are open in your area. Have you been looking. I also see your wolf hunting season is open.
    4 or 5 bear buckets with a foot snare might have come in handy about now for a couple needing more meat for the winter.....don't you think?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i have to admit....not sure what a bear bucket is?

Bummer! Yeah, word is from an old-timer that this winter will be one for the books.

Hunker down! ;-0

Taylor

How's the beaver crop looking? A mans gotta eat!!

Marc, is that Old Timer calling for a Cold winter or a Stormy one (as in lots of fronts moving thru dumping precip)??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Mike (martentrapper), you're a trip and a half in how you come across <grin>. I wrote out a reply to some of your comments but then thought to myself, "What's the point, really?"

Jon, was hoping to get upriver to the next place where there are beavers, about 12 miles up, to hunt some beavers to put up if we couldn't find a 2nd moose. That was part of the plan about hunting upriver til the 30th. (beaver "hunting" is legal here under a trapping license after breakup until early June and before freezeup in Sept) Didn't work out.
    Our summer flood wiped the two beaver houses near us, one hasn't recovered, don't seen any sign at all, the other they have rebuilt but have already taken two out of that house this spring/summer and don't want to take any more as that is my personal limit around here and what I have found is sustainable.

sh, in response to your question, HERE

Winter is coming on fast. On the 12th we had enough water to go anywhere and by the 20th the river had dropped 3 ft and some of the channels were getting pretty skinny. Got a moose and a bear so we are set but if all else fails The season is always open at costco. hopefully the december season is good to you Mark.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Were icing fst here, too, luckily enough to be having a bazillion Caribou passing, and a few this way,rather than upriver would be very nice. Lotsa weekenders up there, so were letting them make meat while they can and were just packed, killing a day. Too windy for more Birds anyway.
    Myself, I got 15 Ducks yesterday for the freezer, and they are getting out fast too.
    A Swan or two and I'll be happy.

I bet your not warried anyway, one moose down and who knows what you'l come across, but Im sure you will do fine, and Lori will certainly make it edible

The river froze here 3 weeks late last year and our first freeze was 3 weeks late this year, I hope the river closes soon too.

Do you run ice nets? I love checkin' net
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hope winter doesn't come too soon. I'm gonna be pushing the limit on my planned October hunt, starting on the 14th....Good test for the new AO and stove! Just hope "snow" becomes an issue.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Here in Cordova we've had a gorgeous August and Sept. after a cool, rainy June and July. Had the best weather anyone can remember for Silver season on the Copper River Delta. Not one blow the whole season and no measurable rain since about Sept 2. We were stuck in a pattern of heavy fog that would burn off around noon then return in the evening, for about 10 days. As for cold, there have only been a couple of very light frosts so far this year.

The downside to the good weather has been a silver run that has come in slowly as all the local streams are low, and the cranes flying over without stopping. Usually takes some good blows to get them to hold up here.

Been some real nice bulls (I heard of a 71 incher being taken) and some nice bucks already this year tho. Appears to be an above average year for deer if early season results are an indication.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I would much rather have the end of season nixed by cold weather than the beginning of season nixed by hot weather. No meat loss that way. The winter hunts are always easiest in my book.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I would much rather have the end of season nixed by cold weather than the beginning of season nixed by hot weather. No meat loss that way. The winter hunts are always easiest in my book.
    Unless you are planning to hunt out of a boat.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Just asking questions based on what I see in the regs, and what I remember you saying in the past, Mark.
    The bucket statement was appropriate seeing as how your worried about having enough meat. A bear bucket would have offered you additional opportunity to get meat.
    So what about the Dec. season? Don't you ever harvest moose then?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!