Thread: Renter's insurance?

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Renter's insurance?

What do you all think about having renter's insurance? My aeroclub has insurance for major disasters, but if I ding/dent the plane/prop, I'm responsible for the fix and any revenue lost for the downtime. AOPA has renter's insurance, but it is not available in Alaska and Hawaii! Do you know of any companies here?

Also, thanks for the encouragement to keep up the lessons once a week. It's been a good thing. Landings have FINALLY clicked, just like BH206L3 said, "You will get in the zone when you get in the zone." I started landing to THE SPOT that Grizzley told me to, and it works. I keep THE SPOT set in my wind screen and I'm more comfortable with the round out/flare. I should be soloing in a few weeks

AVEMCO offers renter's insurance in Alaska. I forget the cost, but it is pretty reasonable (although twice the cost of renter's insurance in the Lower 48).

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    AVEMCO offers renter's insurance in Alaska. I forget the cost, but it is pretty reasonable (although twice the cost of renter's insurance in the Lower 48).
    I was paying $1000 a year.

Glad to hear that you have stuck with it and have your landings down. Congrats

Good for you, glad to be able to help a little. As for renter's insurance, its Avemco and its the only game in town that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I was paying $1000 a year.
    Sounds about right give or take.

I'd check again with AOPA - I signed up with them in August of this year. I've got $5,000 hull coverage, plus $250,000 bodily injury and property damage. The $5,000 coverage pays the insurance deductible for the rental company.. I don't think AOPA directly writes the coverage, but AOPA did all the work for me and found an underwriter. My yearly premium is about $550. I'd just call them up directly and tell them your situation, that's what I did. Took a week to get a quote back, but after I gave them the green light it was only a matter of a couple hours and I had a confirmation letter and temporary number, until my final paperwork arrived in the mail. Good luck.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Thanks all, I've contacted AVEMCO and I will give AOPA a call.
    Pam