Thread: RV in high wind

Default RV in high wind

Was towing my camp trailer north on the Glenn yesterday. The wind was blowing very hard on the flats and I was having trouble staying square in my lane. A man pulled up next to me and got my attention. Saw the rear pole of my awning flapping loose. Pulled over. The awning came unwrapped part way and the wind up spool was jammed. Secured it as best we could with bungies and continued the trip. A mile further saw a motor home pulled over with awning problems too. I know mine was properly secured before I left. Something about driving in high wind. Not sure what extent of damage I have yet. Next time I'm in high wind I'm going to put extra ties on it.

BTW, the man who alerted me pulled over to help. My thanks to him.

Our main awning is motorized but the one over the door is not. We have had 'issues' in high winds with it in the past. I just use and extra strap and secure it before every trip. There is a devise that one can get a Camping World have is designed to prevent awnings from coming out in high winds.
    For us it is just one of those things that we have to deal with. Depending on the winds and where we are at, I might even pull off the road and put my 'nose' to the winds and wait it out.

(yawn)

so finally got around to assessing the damage to my awning. I need to replace the fabric. I can get one online from TX for $200. Not bad, but guess what? $68 in shipping.

Can anyone recommend a canvas or sail maker in ANC-MATSU area?

I have heard good things about Busters Professional Upholstery (in Anch). The boat I bought has a canopy (sunbrella fabric) made by them and it's well made.

Thanks MRFISH, I called them. They don't do this work but referred me to Mobile Trailer Supply. They are checking about ordering one in for less then I can.

Alaska Tent and Tarp gave me a quote of about $400 to fabricate.

Howlingstorm in Wasilla is working on a quote for me.

Update:

Got my awning back together and doing the first trip today. I hope none of you have this problem but I post below incase you do.

Howlingtorm called me back in Feb but I happened to be down below on business. Got back a week later and never did get a hold of him after trying for a month. I found this company PPL online. They had repalcement awning fabric. Was about $330 with shipping. Took less then a week to get here by ground from TX.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r.../26-3206pp.htm

I called them with my original awning numbers and they gave me the replacement P/N. Removal and installation wasn't too bad. The fabric came with some instructions. The link below was the most helpful:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index....-tos&Itemid=41

The cotter pins I used on the wind up springs were too soft. They bent inside after 8 turns. I used long allen wrenches after that.