Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: russian river

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    eagle river, ak
    Posts
    105

    Default russian river

    Hit the russian yesterday with a buddy got a big fat zero. Did not run into anyone else that said they caught anything either. I am assuming i was doing something wrong since i am new to the sport, and it was my first time fishing the russian. i was throwing flesh flies of all sizes and colors.

  2. #2

    Default

    Pretty much the same report for Saturday. Water was pretty low. Saw very few salmon to fish behind. In fact I would say that I saw more silvers than I did reds. Hooked two fish all day using beads and flesh flies. Both were semi bright silvers. Both I thought were decent size rainbows since as soon as I hooked them, they took to the air, and battled like a good rainbow. But as it turns out, they were small silvers...maybe 24 inches... Did have a close bear encounter a little ways up from the red salmon parking lot.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    eagle river, ak
    Posts
    105

    Default

    i saw some really fresh bear scat and a torn up salmon carcass just up stream from red salmon friday

  4. #4

    Default

    Finally Got the camera back. Here's one of the silvers. Both fish I caught were bigger than Jacks, but fairly small for silvers. Both were not as torn up as some of the fish I could see milling around in the pool. One of the fish moved several feet to hit a 6mm bead. I thought for sure it was a nice trout.


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Finally Got the camera back. Here's one of the silvers. Both fish I caught were bigger than Jacks, but fairly small for silvers. Both were not as torn up as some of the fish I could see milling around in the pool. One of the fish moved several feet to hit a 6mm bead. I thought for sure it was a nice trout.

    A fish is a fish :O). im taking friday off and heading up there for an early birthday treat to myself heheh. looks like you're using an off pink colored bead there.. what size hook you running?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    A fish is a fish :O). im taking friday off and heading up there for an early birthday treat to myself heheh. looks like you're using an off pink colored bead there.. what size hook you running?
    It was actually great. Just not what I expected. Both silvers were on trampolines ripping out line (4lbs tipped) and took to the air a dozen times each. I was using a a light pink bead though what looks like a bead in this picture is actually a part of the fish' kype. Size 8 tiemco wet fly hooks on a 4wt.

    I was told by some folks that flesh flies were the ticket, but both silvers came on beads. The second fish might have been flossed, hard to tell. This one definitely moved to hit the bead.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    It was actually great. Just not what I expected. Both silvers were on trampolines ripping out line (4lbs tipped) and took to the air a dozen times each. I was using a a light pink bead though what looks like a bead in this picture is actually a part of the fish' kype. Size 8 tiemco wet fly hooks on a 4wt.

    I was told by some folks that flesh flies were the ticket, but both silvers came on beads. The second fish might have been flossed, hard to tell. This one definitely moved to hit the bead.
    LOL well then you got the fish to flash his grill for the camera. nicely done on a 4wt

  8. #8
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    My wife popped a couple on the russian on sunday. 6mm strawberries and cream beads. Just drifting it behind the rocks as she walked down
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  9. #9
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    good report! I was thinking as I read through where is the bead in the photo? I admit it...had me analyzing the picture for 15 minutes...then i kept reading lol
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •