Thread: DLP vs Just Tagging the Bear

Default DLP vs Just Tagging the Bear

A post on one of the other threads got me wondering about a DLP kill vs tagging a bear that could be argued was a DLP. Suppose a person takes a bear that has been hanging around a house or bothering live stock. If the bear is shot, do you have to claim it as a DLP, or can you just tag it (assuming that you have a legal tag to fill)?

Regardless of the "Defence of Life or Property" (DLP) conditions that initiated the killin, you call tag it as a "sport kill" if all hunting/shooting conditions are otherwise legal for a sport kill.
    You may have shot this rogue bear because it was in the yard and eating your puppies, but if you have a tag, and bear season is in progress, and you are in an area where you can legally discharge a gun....then you can tag the bear as a "sport kill" and keep the pelt and meat.

In fact, many/most SOA Wildlife Troopers would prefer this killin to be a sport kill. DLP kills require some paperwork and a little investigation. Legal sport kills require nothing involving them.

dennis

I figured that was how it was, but didn't know if the state wanted every DLP-ish kill reported for statistics or some other reason. I know for me, it was much easier to just tag, and one of the reasons I try to always keep a tag with me.

"sport kill"?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    "sport kill"?

LOL
    I suspect that is what the set of quotes was for.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

sh.., spoiled one, anybody

Yep, Mmmmmm, i was at a a loss for words when I was trying to describe a bear kill as other that a DLP kill.
    So...what should I have written? Need some help here for the future....
    A trophy kill?
    A subsistence kill? (Who eats brown bear meat?)
    An ego kill?
    A regular harvest kill?
    A kill?
    I know that my question is rather basic and elementary, but what word(s) or phrase would be most acceptable or correct?
    Help me be more politically correct in the future...
    Or, in that instance (in contrast to an actual DLP kill), was the term "sport kill" as good as anything else?

thanks, really...Dennis

Default don't ask me

i just thought it sounded funny. you always hear " sport hunting" and "subsistence hunting" verbage used as if that somehow makes a difference in how big game is utilized. it's all eaten, and good eating it is no matter where you live.

sh,

Alright.
    I wont ask again.
    I'm not a "words-smith" or a verbage expert.
    I'm certainly not a journalist.
    ...thought you might be.
    Thanks for your forum contribution.

dennis

A hunting license is technically..............a sport license. For griz, a bear tag is also a sport tag, usually with a fee to get the tag. So a licensed hunter with a griz tag would be a sport hunter.
    There are some registration hunts for griz that are kinda, sorta considered "subsistence".
    DLPs are tricky. Gotta have a good reason. I would bet if you called in a DLP, but had a license, tag, and open season............LEO will expect you to notch the tag.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I woudn't DLP one unless I wasn't legally able to shoot/kill the bear in that location. DLP takes lots of extra time and paperwork, neither of which I am fond of. Plus, same amount of work as I believe you are suposed to take care of the hide unless LEO can get there soon. Bottom line, much better to tag it then deal with a DLP.

(who eats brown bear meat?) actually its not bad eating if they aren't into the fish, you should try it some time

akbone,
    I have eated brown bear meat on only three "gee wizz" occasions. All bears had been shot while eating September blue berries, although all had eated salmon in June and July and into August I'm sure. I did not consume much on each occasion, but ate enough to decide that brown bear meat ain't great. It ain't "the other white meat".
    It ain't nearly as good as black bears, or any other species of game....
    And while I do intend to be in on many more brown bear kills for myself, friends, and client/hunters, I do not intend to eat brown bear meat again.
    ....my opinion only. yours, and others, may vary and not be incorrect......
    dennis