Thread: Shooting Naptowne Rapids

Default Shooting Naptowne Rapids

Has anybody done it recently? A buddy of mine and I are thinking about a launch from Bing's and floating down to Swiftwater. I've never shot the rapids but have a lot of experience rowing a drift boat. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Has anybody done it recently? A buddy of mine and I are thinking about a launch from Bing's and floating down to Swiftwater. I've never shot the rapids but have a lot of experience rowing a drift boat. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.
    well the water is already pretty low and it is only going to get lower so I don't see it being a problem in a drift boat what so ever.

We ran it a couple of Octobers ago in a power boat, both ways. I suspect you will be fine.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default laste week!

We floated it last week. Some of the rocks are peeking up a little more than normal, but it shouldn't be a problem. You can go around most of the rocks if you want. Fishing was decent all the way down. Nothing huge, but 18 to 26 inch range. You should hopefully notice a lot less fishing traffic. We saw 1 boat our entire float.

I would recommend walking down to take a peak from Bingís just to get a line on the rocks, I stay river left going past the first corner then you will see a big rock 20 ft from shore row middle right going between a few boulders into the next corner then itís a straight shot kicking into the rapids. The biggest rainbow Iíve seen caught was below Morganís Landing river left thereís a island with a deep pool off its point canít hardly miss it,,, it back eddies & wants to suck your boat up into slack water between the island and the river bank. Good luck and post a pic or two. Another point start early if the water clarity is good because the fishing will be hot & can make for a long float.

I never have seen a fish caught other than reds in that stretch..you must be talking about another river named the Kenai.

I used to work for the lodge just below Naptowne at the mouth of the Moose, and I used to row from Skilak down about twice a week. If you are going all the way to Swiftwater and are concerned, you can always put in @ Isaac Walton State Recreation Area and avoid the whole thing all together, you really wont miss that much water on a float of that length. Now,......with that being said, if you are set on doing it, this is how we did it. 1) PUT ON YOUR PFD AND CINCH IT UP TIGHT 2) PUT THE ANCHOR INSIDE THE BOAT! YOU DON'T WANT IT TO DEPLOY ON ITS OWN IN THE RAPIDS 3) LINE IT UP AND PUSH STRAIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE HAYSTACKS. YES, I SAID PUSH. Its a little scary the first time, but I swear on my mothers eyes, this is how all of us who worked there did it in a drift boat. Keep it straight and you wont even get wet, adjust your angle at the top of the wave. Its a hellova ride and always a good end to a long float. In your case, it'll get you pumped early. Good luck.