Thread: Wind on Skilak?

Default Wind on Skilak?

Middle-river floaters,

Any concerns about the wind preventing safe passage from the launch to the outlet of Skilak this weekend? Forecast is 15-30 mph from the north. I've been lucky and haven't experienced much wind in the AM on any of my previous floats so was curious if I should be concerned about it this weekend.

-oki

Worse case scenario you bag the Middle and float the Upper. You never know what the wiond will be doing at Skilak regardless of weather forecasts; it's all about how it's coming off the glacier. Post a report and good luck!

Default thx

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Worse case scenario you bag the Middle and float the Upper. You never know what the wiond will be doing at Skilak regardless of weather forecasts; it's all about how it's coming off the glacier. Post a report and good luck!
    thanks db, I'm 'yaking for the first time down this stretch so a little worried about big waves to start the day. Will be fun to fish alone for once, in the sense I can stop and stay wherever as long as I feel like it! Floated it last week and identified one epic run so I already know where I'm going, hehe.

I floated the middle yesterday in a 10' raft. rowing across Skilak was no problem but the wind did pick up throughout the day... making it challenging to fish from a boat and from shore.... A kayak would be more ideal, and if the wind stays down its possible to paddle back up to the boat launch. I'd be more wary of the boat wakes from powerboaters than from the winds... I'm thinking of taking the 'yak down myself next week after the weekend crowd thins out.

Well, if you or anyone else in a 'yak or canoe is interested in floating down with some company, I'll be shuttled up from Bings and arrive at the Skilak launch sometime between 8 and 8:30 AM tomorrow (Sunday). Headed from Homer to Bings right now and will spend the night there.