Thread: Smoking in 30-40 MPH winds

Unhappy Smoking in 30-40 MPH winds

I've smoked in a lot of different weathers before, even at 10 below zero, but never tried a smoke with this much wind. Very difficult. Have to turn the heat way up to maintain the proper internal temp of 250F but that greatly increases the likelihood of the wood chips (on a cast iron tray just above the gas flame) igniting.

Twice now I've put out a fire. This is going to be a long day...

Maybe you should try smoking cigars instead?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

What kind of smoker are you using?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Smoke Vault, gas powered.

One tree blew down in the yard, and another one in the road out front. Nasty-huge wind!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Maybe you should try smoking cigars instead?
    Instead? I think you mean also! A nice fat cigar makes the smoked meats smoke better.

I put away all the patio furniture and got everything pretty much battened down in preparation for tonight. They're talkin about 75 mi winds tonight. The Potato bowl was canceled in Palmer. I'm heading to palmer for a family chinese dinner at peking garden should sand blast the new f-150 good on the p/w highway

Default Smoke done OK, but never again in such high winds

I believe I felt 60 - 75 MPH winds this day. Knock-you-down forceful winds. Nasty.

Two trees here blown down; luckily neither hit my truck or house.

Smoke completed, and it came out really good. The meat below will be served at the party we're throwing tomorrow night:

looks delicious familyman. What kind of meat is it?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    looks delicious familyman. What kind of meat is it?
    Pork shoulder. Heavy spice rub, keep wrapped for 2 days in the fridge, then 8 hours in the smoker with lots of cherry wood smoke until 170F internal temp achieved. Then shred the meat off the bone and its great for bbq pork sandwiches. Easy and cheap and dependably good.

The trouble was trying to keep the smoker hot and still safe with all that wind. I hope to never try a smoke in that heavy of a wind ever again.

Yep, you should try to jerry-rig a wind block next time. Just a couple sheets of plywood in a "V" pointed up wind woulda helped alot.

I gotta say, FM, every time I see your thread title in the new post section I have to laugh. I can just picture some poor, desperate, nicotine addicted schmuck trying to light up in high winds because his wife won't let him smoke in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Yep, you should try to jerry-rig a wind block next time. Just a couple sheets of plywood in a "V" pointed up wind woulda helped alot.
    Yes, that is exactly how I was able to do it. I think it would have been physically impossible to do it without a windblock. 'Cept I used my truck/camper as the main side of the windblock.

My Smoke Vault is one of the toughest smokers I've ever used though, and I've gone through maybe a dozen of them. I wouldn't trade it for any other kind.

Its nuts to try to smoke an 8 hour smoke on a day forecast for 40MPH winds, which actually got according to the weather service 75MPH winds. That evening my phone and Internet were both busted for 12+ hours while MTA had to go replace a generator that got blown.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I gotta say, FM, every time I see your thread title in the new post section I have to laugh. I can just picture some poor, desperate, nicotine addicted schmuck trying to light up in high winds because his wife won't let him smoke in the house.
    Hadn't even occurred to me.... OK, now that you said it, now it will when I read the thread title too....... THANKS, sayak.....