Thread: Willow Creek fishing

Default Willow Creek fishing

Heading to Willow Creek tomorrow morning for some trout fishing. any suggestions on what type of flies to use and good holes to fish?

Beads & flesh & maybe a dahli lama.
    Any hole that has a trout in it would be good, IMO.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    Heading to Willow Creek tomorrow morning for some trout fishing. any suggestions on what type of flies to use and good holes to fish?
    was up there last weekend above shirley town, silvers still moving up stream, so I would go up from the HWY.

hehe i just got done searching old threads on willow creek and there was one long thread that cracked me up. thanks for the tip gary. i'll stop by sportmans wharehouse to pick up a few flies for tomorrow.

and take a nice box of drys if yoru fly fishing I found a few nice holes holding grayling but I didn't have the right fly for them. Bows chasing beads better then flesh.

finally got out to willow creek sunday afternoon. i didnt stay very long though.. water was down pretty low. manage to hook up a nice 12inch rainbow on a peach colored bead. the winds were brutal so i packed up and headed back home. i'm putting in a request to have this friday off for some fishing time on the russian hehehe. What a nice way to start my birthday weekend

Kenaibow fan, were the silvers getting pretty narly looking or are they still decent for eating? I Havnt ventured up that way lately so I was just curios. If they are still decent I may ahve to take a drive up there and see if I cant get into some.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Kenaibow fan, were the silvers getting pretty narly looking or are they still decent for eating? I Havnt ventured up that way lately so I was just curios. If they are still decent I may ahve to take a drive up there and see if I cant get into some.
    Well I was above the hwy and you can't fish for salmon up there, but they weren't in the best shape either. They didn't have white spots on them, but they were pretty red. I am not sure, but you might get lucky and hit some down lower that might not be to bad???? IMO I would try one of the streams furhter north if you want to keep any thing.

i saw a couple silvers while down on the willow sunday by the highway. way way red. i saw one that was just sitting in a hole and thought it was dead. i moved in a little closer and it moved away intot he middle of the creek lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Well I was above the hwy and you can't fish for salmon up there,
    When was that changed?
    I know king fishing is verbotten upstream of the highway, but thought it was open to other species.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    When was that changed?
    I know king fishing is verbotten upstream of the highway, but thought it was open to other species.
    Gary
    Your right no kings up there, but you can fish for other salmon up there.

Ok I was just curios. I figured they would problubly be getting pretty red but I havnt fished the Willow this late, I normally avoid it lol. To many people there . I usually go up to Sheep,Caswell and Montana when I head up north. I havnt been up there in a couple years though.

Used to be the boundary for "other salmon" was the mouth of Deception creek. Above that you can't fish for any salmon. Double check though, I haven't looked at that part of the regs in several years.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Used to be the boundary for "other salmon" was the mouth of Deception creek. Above that you can't fish for any salmon. Double check though, I haven't looked at that part of the regs in several years.
    I looked them up yesterday, you can't fish in deception creek at all, for any thing...........or that was how I took it, you can fish above the parks hwy bridge for every thing but kings. And you can fish the willow above deception creek for other salmon as well.

Actually, it hasn't changed....

Directly from the regs -

Willow Creek drainage flowing waters
    (see map on page 26)
    From itsmouth upstream to the ParksHighway:
    • This section is open to fishing for all species, including king salmon, January 1–June 21, June 26–28, July 3–5, and July 10–12. Daily limits for king salmon are: 20" or longer 1 per day/1 in possession, less than 20" 10 per day/10 in possession. Bag/possession limits for other species follow the general limits on page 25.
    • This section is
    closed to all fishing June 22–25, June 29–July 2, July 6–9, and July 13.
    Noretentionof rainbow trout or Arctic grayling is allowed year-round, including all waters within a ˝-mile radius of its confluence with the Susitna River.
    • This section is open to fishing for all species (except king salmon) July 14–December 31.
    • In the Willow Creek drainage upstream from ADF&G markers ˝ mile upstream from its mouth, only one unbaited,
    single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round. The bag and possession limits for species other than king salmon, rainbow trout, and Arctic grayling follow the general limits on page 25.
    Upstream of the ParksHighway: closed for king salmon.
    • Only one unbaited, single hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.
    • In Willow Creek from the Parks Highway bridge upstream to its confluence with Deception Creek, open season for all species except king salmon is year-round.
    • The Willow Creek drainage above Deception Creek and the Deception Creek drainage are
    closed year-round to fishing for salmon.
    • The Deception Creek drainage is
    closed to all fishing April 15–June 14.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, the bag limit for rainbow/steelhead trout is 1 per day/1 in possession—must be less than 16" long. From April 15– June 14,
    Noretentionof rainbow/steelhead trout is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, Noretentionof Arctic grayling is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, bag and possession limits for species except king salmon, rainbow trout, and Arctic grayling follow the general
    limits on page 25.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Actually, it hasn't changed....

Directly from the regs -

Willow Creek drainage flowing waters
    (see map on page 26)
    From itsmouth upstream to the ParksHighway:
    • This section is open to fishing for all species, including king salmon, January 1–June 21, June 26–28, July 3–5, and July 10–12. Daily limits for king salmon are: 20" or longer 1 per day/1 in possession, less than 20" 10 per day/10 in possession. Bag/possession limits for other species follow the general limits on page 25.
    • This section is
    closed to all fishing June 22–25, June 29–July 2, July 6–9, and July 13.
    Noretentionof rainbow trout or Arctic grayling is allowed year-round, including all waters within a ˝-mile radius of its confluence with the Susitna River.
    • This section is open to fishing for all species (except king salmon) July 14–December 31.
    • In the Willow Creek drainage upstream from ADF&G markers ˝ mile upstream from its mouth, only one unbaited,
    single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round. The bag and possession limits for species other than king salmon, rainbow trout, and Arctic grayling follow the general limits on page 25.
    Upstream of the ParksHighway: closed for king salmon.
    • Only one unbaited, single hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.
    • In Willow Creek from the Parks Highway bridge upstream to its confluence with Deception Creek, open season for all species except king salmon is year-round.
    • The Willow Creek drainage above Deception Creek and the Deception Creek drainage are
    closed year-round to fishing for salmon.
    • The Deception Creek drainage is
    closed to all fishing April 15–June 14.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, the bag limit for rainbow/steelhead trout is 1 per day/1 in possession—must be less than 16" long. From April 15– June 14,
    Noretentionof rainbow/steelhead trout is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, Noretentionof Arctic grayling is allowed.
    • In all of the Willow Creek drainage upstream of the Parks Highway, bag and possession limits for species except king salmon, rainbow trout, and Arctic grayling follow the general
    limits on page 25.

Well I guess that takes care of that one then! Good info to know.