Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my goat...

Default Finally got my goat...

Well,

I've been lurking here for the past year or so posting here and there but this will be my first "hunt report". Last year I was lucky enough to draw DG475 along with my father inlaw who also had a tag and we decided to hunt Zacher Bay. He lives in VA and decided that if he was coming to Alaska He wanted to make it worth his while so we also planned a Float hunt for Moose and bue in conjunction with our goat hunt. STOP!!! before you say it... I know. We defiantly set ourselves up for a classic " I'll never do that again" moment. Never the less I spent a year planning for this great adventure and what an adventure it turned out to be. We spent the better part of two weeks on the river looking for the mighty Alaskan Yukon Moose and we finally found him. Bill and I both were able to harvest great Bulls and made memories that will last a life time. Now back to the Goats..
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 09-24-2010 at 10:42. Reason: Easier to read...

...once we had all our meat and gear sorted out we flew into Kodiak for the second half of this epic adventure with hopes of both tagging out on monster Billies. Neither of us had ever hunted Mt goats and other than what we read and info I got from members here we were clueless. we figured with two tags and only two people to haul meat we may be on the hill for a while. We planned on staying for ten days and packed accordingly Which in the Mountain hunting world we found out is way too much stuff. We attempted to tackle zacher Bay with 70lb packs!! um...yeah rookies to say the least. not to mention my father in law is 64 and not in the best of shape but he gave it he's all. After a full day of busting brush and nowhere near the pass we planned to make camp we had to call it quits. Bill was completely wiped out (partially due to the moose trip) I had worked my legs to near failure mostly due to our overzealous attempt to camp "comfortably" for 10 days in the alpine. we decided that it would be unsafe to continue and with our tails tucked we made an about face and headed for the beach. As corny as this sounds that was a defining moment in my life we had gone from ultra high because of our successful float hunt to despairingly low having to cry uncle chasing goats...

...Back in kodiak after a few days of rest and plenty of hot water I decided I could not live with myself if I gave up that easily. I went through all my gear(and bills) and tossed everything we thought we "might need". I cut our weight to 30 lbs each.. we could do that, our hopes began to rise. we decide we would try again and this time we would be successful. We headed back out and this time took a new route up to the pass and made it with very little problem. we had seen these goats in the same place when we flew the first time so we had a good plan. we headed up the next morning to where we had spotted the goats both times and started our stalk. we were going to be coming up and over the top of the face they were on and the wind was perfect. we edged over and ... nothing, little further... nothing. little further... still nothing, that's when we spotted them two ridges away. It was like getting punched in the gut. Neither of us said it but we knew there was no way we were going to be able to get to them. Had I been with someone a little more egger to punish themselves we may have gone after them but remember we came from the other side of this hill so it would have made for a long long hike. we decided to wait them out but to no avail. days came and went and the goats did not, with our food gone we had to descend. No goats for either of us but it was a mental victory. we had come back and done what we set out to do which was go goat hunting and thats what we did. Bill said it best "we have walked where the Mt. Goats walk". it was a tough pill to swallow not coming home with a goat for the second time especially when it came time for the wife to see my credit card bill, but we had shared experiences that taught us a lot about hunting, life and who we were before and after this hunt...

... SO now that were all caught up, once again I was able to draw a Goat tag for this year! These things have haunted me all year and come hell or high water I was going to get my goat. I was able to do quite a bit of scouting this year and had a good handle on the area I was going to be hunting. I took off 14 days from work to insure I had all the time I needed to get the job done this year. My plan was to be hunting now actually but we had a run of good weather here in Kodiak and as Marc said never plan a hunt by the calendar always by the weather. Anyways, I headed out last weekend with the idea that this would be a quick over nighter and given all the time I had taken off I was in no rush to shoot unless I spotted a really good Billy. On the way up the fog started to roll in fast and I started to think that I may have missed my window for now...

Attached Images Attached Images

...We made it up to the saddle leading into the next valley which we would be hunting the next morning and set camp. To our surprise the fog stayed low that evening and through the night making for one of the most spectacular natural wonders I've ever seen. A clear fall night in AK reveaP9110087.jpgls a night sky the likes of which I've never seen. Anyone know whats up with the "fog" and what causes that? Is it just some sort of marine layer???

P9110092.jpg

... the next morning we were up early and after the goats. We spotted them across the valley but to our delight they were heading in our direction. I was surprised to see them so low each time I made that hike they were up much higher in the rocky craggy stuff we all dream about but this would make for a much better/safer stalk. We decided to sit tight and wait for them to come to us. They closed the distance by about half then disappeared into a small pass and headed around the back side of us... all but one that is. We figured that must be a Billy breaking off by himself and decided to go after him. About 2 hrs of hiking later we were ready to drop our packs and make our final stalk.

P9110097.jpg
    P9110103.jpg

... we were able to stay just on the opposite side of the ridge we last saw this goat on until we had the wind perfect. We peeked over the top and could see that the goat was bedded down in a small shady spot about 60 yrds just below us. being that these goat were so low that meant the grass was high and judging this goat was not possible from our vantage point. We decided that due to the wind and the fact that the goat was facing away from us we would try to work in behind it despite the fact that there was no cover what so ever. It was one of the coolest stalks I've ever done (we actually got the whole thing on video. ill post later in videos) I made it to within 25-30 yards before the goat stood up and despite the fact that it was a nanny (obviously without kids) I decided to take her. double lung from 30yrds and she still managed to get herself into the worst place for recovery within 1/4 mile. it's not a "monster Billy" or even a monster nanny for that matter but for me that takes nothing away from the hunt or its value as a trophy. cashing these goats around the mountains has stirred something inside me that will never be the same. Mountain hunting has earned a place in my heart and I hope to continue to do it for years to come. there is much more to this story and many more things I would like to share with all of you about what I've learned from these experiences but for now it will have to wait. I'm at work and things are starting to pile up. I will say this, isn't it amazing what you learn each time you go afield? I can't wait to see what's next.

P9110117.jpg
    P9110121.jpg

Congrats on finally connecting! After getting my goat a few years ago, I have been eager to get back up in the mountains to chase them. You are right, it does stir something inside of you.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Congrats on a fine first goat.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

What a great set of stories, really liked the "Went Back to go at it again story"

Congrats, that's a Nice Trophy in my book, Looks like quite a ways from the water ??
    Did you come up from the beach behind you there in that final photo? Whew, Hard Core huntin', eh?

Great Photos also, must have been a real trip to be up there in the sun with the Goats, Excellent Job on the write-up Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Very stoked for you, ducks' ! Great trophy!

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

Taylor

Congrats on a nice nanny.. Goats have been the thorn in my heel also.. last week I put a finish to it as you did.. Congrat's.. Ohh one more thing, I had the same weather also.. Low clouds, could see for ever up high.. and the start were the brightest I have even seen..

Thanks guys,
    Its my pleasure to share... been meaning to do a write up on that moose hunt since last year but for some reason or another just never made it around to doing it. I thoroughly enjoy reading and seeing pics of all of your hunts so I figured it was due time I put one up myself.

Kodiakrain, No. we came in from picture right. if you look in that pic you are referring to the inlet in the background leading into picture right comes around the back side there quite a ways. the back of that bay is where we made our approach from.

hoyt,

The stars were unreal... that's one of those things that makes being in places like that so amazing. Most of my friends and family are non-hunters (note:I said non-hunters not anti-hunters) and they just don't seem to get the attraction, they think it's all about going out and killing an animal. Though I've tried many times to explain that there is so much more to it than that I can't find the words to describe to someone the real essence of hunting. Those stars are one of those things, It's easy to say ... oh the stars were amazing! but unless you "experience" unless you were there people will never truly understand. The stars are just ONE example of all the things we as hunters experience when we venture afield.

Congrats on your goat as well!

I know.. I laid on my back in the sleeping bag out under the stars.. up on top of the mountain in a flat spot.. watched jetliners, some space stuff buzzing around, and all the bright stars for hours..Made the steep terrain and devils club worth it imo..

Nice Goat. Got some good length to her for a Sept Goat, will make a nice mount. Congrats, you earned it.

Well done Sir, way to stay in the game. You have to love Kodiak, especially on the clear days. Congrats on a fine goat.

Steve

Way to stick with it. Glad you took the time to write up your story and post some pics. Way to stick with it and end up with a great trophy. Did the same thing on a single loan goat being a novice goat hunter myself last year and my buddy and I ended up he took a very small nanny, but thats just part of the learning process and he was still happy with the outcome. That will make a great mount and you have the memories that will last forever. Congrats is in order to a job well done.

Nice goat, congrats on a job well done

Nice, way to stick with it and come out successful. Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with the rest of us. Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast