Thread: Skilak inlet/Kenai braids

Default Skilak inlet/Kenai braids

How's it fishing right now for bows? Looking at heading down there in two weeks (10/9-10/10).....is it crowded on the weekend when you go later (colder) in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    How's it fishing right now for bows? Looking at heading down there in two weeks (10/9-10/10).....is it crowded on the weekend when you go later (colder) in the fall?
    Right now, it is ok, there is still a lot of pinks and silvers in there and the fish are being picky. I fished this past wed. and there was a lot of boats at the braids, all the way down to bings. A couple of weeks it should be a lot better. We caught about 25 fish both dollies. 2 in the 20-25 inch range and one about 28ish the rest were around 18's. The funny thing was though they were jumping all over the place like they were chasing flys on top................but who knows. We were using 10 and 8 mm motted peach.

And one other thing the water seems to be down a little more then normal for this time of year so be careful some of them places were pretty skinny stay on step!

We fished it last weekend a bit and YES the water is down so take that into account. We ran aground once in a totally unexpected spot. The ledges in that area are fantastic to fish. We got into a few nice bows at 26" and some Dollies that size also. Apricot/peach/cheese color worked well.

TON of pinks. You can't help but snag them they are so numerous. I wish with all my heart I could fish it here in a week or two....it's gonna be amazing then.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Ya, I'm looking at two weeks from now...colder, but less people hopefully....you guys talking inlet not outlet right? Where the Kenai dumps into Skilak....

Ya, I'm looking at two weeks from now...colder, but less people hopefully....you guys talking inlet not outlet right? Where the Kenai dumps into Skilak....
    Yes we are. Well right now there is to many salmon up there and the water is a little warm to get the toads up river to the lake. The bad thing is though there isn't a lot of water in there now, so it will be really skinny running a power boat up there so be aware!
    I figure around the first week of Oct the fishing should really improve not that is isn't good now, but I think you will see a lot of the bigger fish moving towards the lake.

Yeah, not to mention hopefully some of the salmon will be DEAD by then so you won't be snagging the *******ss left and right
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

I believe he's talking about the Canyon stretch... should be a beautiful float in October. It might even be nice to camp out for a night at the mouth. Definately WAY less people to contend with than the outlet...

I'm talking about motoring to the far left end of the lake and fishing the mouth. Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear we are talking about the outlet...lots of GREAT FISHING there. Fishing sucks at the Canyon, where that guys got wet and spent a night in the woods, with the bears VERY nearby, alll night. Too bad the fishing sucked for him...bet he wont try fate with the canyon again.

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    Glad to hear we are talking about the outlet...lots of GREAT FISHING there. Fishing sucks at the Canyon, where that guys got wet and spent a night in the woods, with the bears VERY nearby, alll night. Too bad the fishing sucked for him...bet he wont try fate with the canyon again.
    Wouldn't the place where the Kenai flows into Skilak Lake be the "inlet"? Would like to hear more about canyon story with bears. I've floated through their once and it seemed real tame. Can't see how you could get in enough trouble to be stranded for a night...