Thread: 7mm-08 black bears

Default 7mm-08 black bears

This is a carry over from the hunting thread & I'm going to cross post it in the reloading forum because it fits there too.

Anybody have experience with Hornady's 139 gr spire point Interlocks or their 139gr SSTs on black bear size game with the 7-08?
    Reading the SST reviews on the Midway web page nobody complained of bullets coming apart on deer size game & one reviewer said he took two Caribou with good results.

Specifically I will be using an Encore handgun, 15" barrel.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 139 gr Hornady SST's in 7mm-08

I worked up a load using the 139 gr SST in my Kimber for whitetail hunting this past fall. I didn't shoot a deer with it, but did kill three coyotes using the round.

I was quite surprised at how explosive they were. They put big holes in the offsides of the coyotes. Ranges were from 60 to about 120 yards. I expected them to hold together a little better, more controlled expansion.

My only other experience with SST's was a few years back I saw the results of a whitetail hit broadside using a 270WSM with an SST (don't remember the bullet weight. The exit hole was fist size.

The coyotes and the deer were dead instantly, that means something. Using the SST's you better aim where the bullet will miss the meat you want to eat! If I were going to use the 7mm-08 for black bear, personally I'd use at least a bonded core bullet or a Nosler Partition.