Thread: Etiquette question

Default Etiquette question

Hey all Im very new to duck hunting and I have been looking around on here trying to get a real good handle on practices and techniques. I have learned alot about what is accepted and what is down right rude (IE setting decoys and leaving them along time) I was wondering if it is common practice or just idiocy to set a guy in a blind and have someone in a boat pushing the ducks around for everybody on a slow fly day? I haven't seen anybody do it and I have found its fairly effective what do you all think?

Not only bad etiquette, but illegal... You can't have a friend purposefully chase or push birds for you.

Erich

Hmm, no I don't know what the layout is where you are hunting but I don't see how it would be illegal for you to stay in a blind & your buddy start walking the marsh & try & jump up some ducks. He would probably be helping out others as well when things have slowed & nothing is moving. However you did mention a boat so if you are on a lake & he would be motoring around in a big circle I could see where that would be different & would be frowned upon.

There is a difference between jump shooting and harassing the game (no matter what it is). A lot of it comes down to who is trying to shoot the animal. Jump shooting is (where I grew up hunting) a practice that is mostly used when leaving the blind for the day and trying to get something on the way back to the cabin or truck. But you were doing so to kill the bird for yourself. If you are pushing the animals in a direction that somebody is sitting (IE a buddy) that is harassing or purposefully chase. Then you are doing that so somebody else can benefit and kill the bird.
    They had a problem with people, more so in the lower 48, paying others to "jump" the birds so that they would be able to shoot them.

Even if it was legal, it is just un-sportsman! And really takes all the fun out of it...
    I wont even shoot a bird that is sitting on the water. Its not like I need the meat to survive.
    That is what I think, ~FarouT
    FarouT

Yeah we wern't pushing them in any direction just kinda half skirting the lakes with a boat and half walking the swamps to scare them up

Were you the guys that are talked about in the "18 sept hayflats report poor" thread, at jims lake?
    FarouT

Nope dont own a canoe I have a 14foot green smoker craft jon boat with a go devil we were on leaf lake and there were to the best of my knowledge there was absolutely nobody out there last thursday morning and if anybody sees me doin somethin stupid out there yell at me let me know I am not out there to make enemys wouldn't mind makin some friends with the same interests and I will be very receptive to (constructive) critisism.

Walking around a lake or marsh jump shooting ducks in my mind is just fine. And a lot of fun. Sometimes ducks set down away from you and sit tight. Driving a boat around to move the ducks is wrong and most likely illegal.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

As stated if you are walking around flushing ducks you are within the law. If you are using a boat to rally ducks then you are breaking federal and state law.

Since you are new to duck hunting you need to sit down and read the waterfowl hunting regulations specifically page 6. Right there at the bottom it shows you the law you are violating. If you want to read the actual federal regulations then check this link.

A federal game warden might even consider that if you shoot birds that were put up by another boat passing by, you would be taking rallied birds and thus breaking the law.

This happens a lot later in the day when guys are coming in and the singles and pairs get up as they motor back to the ramp. This is why I set up as far away as I can from the main boat travel routes so that if these birds decide to stop by my decoys it is a natural as possible. However, if I or another person from my hunting party were the ones driving the boat for the soul purpose of getting birds up then we as a group are violating the law.

Some folks just don't get it. Waterfowl are protected under Federal Laws one being harassing waterfowl also called hazing. This also goes for those morons in planes doing this at Swan Lake landing on the water and just feet above the water chasing birds. If I read your numbers I will call the Troopers which I have done once before. If this is how you need to bag a few ducks your lame. Try a good spread and calling, itís about working the birds and enjoying being with friends not just about killing.

Brandon, some fatherly advise about the internet. Now that you have posted when and where you have violated a law do not be surprised if the owners of this site are contacted to provide the Troopers your actual name and contact info for their arrest warrant. You would not be the first forum poster to have their post used against them. It takes less effort to use this forum than to catch you in the field.

Also, before you become involved in any heavily regulated activity, such as hunting, you really should read the regulations that govern said activity.

Some folks claim that having hunters moving around a marsh improves hunting because resting birds are put to flight with occasional birds making their way to other decoy spreads.

I have seen this happen, particularly on weekends when extra hunters are in the field. I have had birds come to my decoys after a boat or hunter crosses a distant pothole or bay. Because the birds came from a distance I can't be sure that they were roused, but a surge of flight activity after a hunter moves through an area seems to indicate that it was the case.

However, my own experience shows that an undisturbed marsh will start to fill with feeding birds. Once the birds accumulate some will start moving on their own. These birds who choose to fly, rather than be pushed to flight, will work better to calls and decoys. They are unaware of the danger.

I prefer to hunt weekdays when the marshes are empty. Eventually, even on a calm, blue sky day the birds will move.

Be patient and the birds will move. A harassed marsh becomes an empty marsh. There is plenty of Alaska out there for the birds to escape to once someone gets the idea to buzz around the marsh. The birds will go to where they aren't bothered. Then nobody gets shooting. Short term gain. Long term loss.

Sit tight, stay hidden, and the best advice of all is to vacate the marsh before the birds come to roost for the evening. Shooting until sunset ruins the hunting in my opinion.

Nicely put Jake, too many times do I see this happen where people get bored and run the marsh sending all the birds out with there tails between there little webbed philanges. Its that fight or flight response and ducks don't fight unless the do a flyby air drop. Just sit back and enjoy the expierence of being out there, and bringing in birds feet down backpeddling into your face. Thats what its all about.

jump shooters scare ducks away!!! once you bust there safe spots they will be gone out of that area. find out where they are flying to in the morning and set up inbetween there safe zone and where they are going. and decoying birds is way more fun and rewarding

Years ago I was hunting Swan Lake. At that time the edges were filled with bulrushes and a lot of single ducks used to hide in the cover. Hunting was pretty good for the guy who sat on decoys.

Then some guys with a mud motor-equipped jon boat starting "jump shooting" the edges. They would motor through the weeds and then when a duck jumped they shut their engine off. The heavy cover immediately arrested their forward motion, so they apparently rationalized that they were legal because the boat wasn't moving when they did their shooting.

They banged away at the ducks when they flew. They dropped a few, so they kept up their practice. It made me wish that mud motors were never invented because before mud motors the ducks were too hard to reach by boat or foot. They were safe in a refuge in the middle of a hunting area.

The marsh quickly became a "no fly zone" after mud motor jump shooting. I had to go elsewhere to find ducks.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen I knew you wern't supposed to haze them so I never intentionaly went after any I saw sitting. I was just kinda randomly motoring around sorry if I offended anybody just kinda figuared by watching the boat traffic go by and doing what it does I would mosey around explore a new area and see what I kicked up for it. Again thanks for the input.

Jake, got your message, will let u know, will be out Sunday.

Constructive post, I don't think its wrong if you are jump shooting on foot like that. Waterfowl are very intelligent animals if you can walk up into shotgun range to one or it flies to your buddy who is camouflaged up enough to fool the bird then I think you are in the right to attempt to take the bird. There's no rules that say the only way you can hunt waterfowl is over decoys or straight line walking. Stay within the laws, and to each his own.