Thread: Chrony "No Read" Problems

Default Chrony "No Read" Problems

I'm out shooting on a dirty cloudy day today, testing out "first time with RL-17," loads and really expecting to see some Velocity Increases when 3 rounds in, my Chrony just stops giving readings,

No change from shot #3, so I try turning off and on again, no read, try starting a new string, nothing, Really Exasperating as I only have fifty more of these bullets to play with before my Elk hunt on the 1st. Hoping to see some exciting speeds with the new powder.

Any ideas, it's a Pro Chrono (the $120 model) only about 500 rounds old. I did have the light screen things up, fresh battery, the lcd readout looks good, just not reading my 160gr partitions flying by.....

Started Gettin' with it Raining Ketchikan style anyway, so I packed up after 11 rounds of my new batch, Try again another day but, any tips out there for me?

Bullets pretty new and shiny, Very Gray late aft lighting.... shouldn't have to mark 'em up should I?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'm always amazed at all the problems I read about chronographs. Sorry to say that I have never had any issues with mine.

Make sure your chronograph is level front to back and side to side if not your distance between the sensors is compromised causing speed errors. Always place it the same distance from your muzzle. Align your sights to shoot 4-6 inches above the sensors on the way to your target. If using a scoped rifle your horizontal cross hair will be at the level of the brass joints on the side rods that attach to the shields with your model. It must be aligned so that your bullet trips the front sensor to turn it on and the back to turn it off or you will get an error. There must be enough light so that the bullet casts a shadow on the sensor, bright overcast is best but sunny days are fine with the shields.

Even were I shoot the chronograph is in the shade and reads every shot just fine against the clear sky above.

DSC01311.JPGDSC01608.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    fresh battery......
    I've had a good share of aggravation with chronographs through the years and I've never had an issue that could not be solved (save a couple of low shots ) by changing the lighting or more often by a new, good quality (Duracell/Energizer) 9V battery. It could be something else I suppose, but since you mention it was cloudy I would immediately requisition a new 9V and try the unit again.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I used to use a Shooting Chrony, but bought the Oehler after 15 years. I always used the skyscreens and didn't have probs.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Check to see the wires to your sky screens have not come loose.

Tried it again in better lighting, Sunny and bright out tho the Chrono was in the shade, Didn't solve it, I'd get two or three readings, then nothing, not an error reading or anything, just the last reading still upthere as if nothing had flown by. If I tried turning off and on again, I'd get a few good readings and then nothing....... (did have a new 9v in there also)

So figuring I have the lighting questions tested I am pulling it apart today, (hate trying that with stuff like that, doesn't look like it was made to be repaired) but to check the contacts as Daveintheburbs mentions. Not sure If I discovered it but after getting it open, I found it had all been just set in place and something could have been out of alignment ??? So anyway thought I'd tell you guys what I'm trying. Glueing everything in place so it will be stable and stay in alignment ??

I'll let you know how it works

If I have no success I'll be looking for a state of the art Chronograph, was hoping I would get away with the fairly highly recommended ProChrono model, but Man it only takes a few wasted loads and range time (tough to get good weather for real testing here in Kodiak) to be thinking that was a bad place to save a little money.

So, is it Oehler, the state of the art? Your opinions welcome, Marshall's in the pics is the same I have seen at our range by one guy who is pretty dialed in. Probably go shopping for the same
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

So, is it Oehler, the state of the art? Your opinions welcome, Marshall's in the pics is the same I have seen at our range by one guy who is pretty dialed in. Probably go shopping for the same
    When I bought the Alpha Master it was only $99.00, it's still available for that price at Midway USA. A few guys I shoot with have more expensive models. I have never been let down by mine. It's a great value and still works fine after three years in the range bag and more than a thousand rounds shot through by a variety of handguns and rifles.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#alp..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Thanks Marshall. just PM'd you for same info,

So, yours has a remote or did you add that on (noticed it in your picture) I am usually alone at the range but if there are others I might go for that remote function.

Also, I imagine you don't have to worry much about rain in AZ but as that Chrony seems really open to the elements, do you have to pack up at the first sign of sprinkle? I am often pushing it with Rain just hanging in the air while shooting. hard to protect it from getting a little wet when the clouds cut loose.

Others, what are you folks using with success? How do you deal with weather?

Thanks Marshall. just PM'd you for same info,
    I sent a response via PM.

For the other stuff in your post the Alpha master comes with a remote face, a printer is another option that is available but I didn't feel the need for one. I write each shot down and do some more evaluation when I get home.

I did shoot in the rain once and the Chrony worked just fine. They are open but the sensors are sealed units. If I was to do it in Alaska I would probably set up one of those white EZ-Ups so there would be a good bright contrast above and no shields would be necessary, it would also keep things dry.

http://www.buyshade.com/index.php?ac...ctdetail&id=10

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't use my Chrony a whole bunch, but enough to know that it should work.

I've had issues with alignment, and sunlight, but they were things that could be solved.

If you have problems that are different than the norm, I wouldn't just buy a more expensive chronograph. I'd contact the manufacturer, and see what you can find out from them, and if you can't get it to work RELIABLY, at what point you can send it back for warranty.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.