Thread: do U know where the ducks are?

Default do U know where the ducks are?

Does anyone know when the ducks will be moving out of the Fairbanks area and coming down here, when they might arrive? Trying to plan a duck hunt in the Anchorage area.

They are going to be in my boat this weekend! They will start moving any day. Cooler weather will move them. Hopefully not all at once like last year.

There are no ducks in Fairbanks they are already gone haha the cranes and most
    geese are long gone and the duck hunting has been poor haven't gotten a single one this year and i have buddies who go almost daily and their reports are the same
    starting to get discouraged

The major weather systems are against us. With the high pressure systems over us the winds aloft have been pushing north and northwest keeping the birds sitting in the bush and not migrating. We need some low pressure systems to the east to push the birds to the south and southwest. These local birds are well educated now.

Birds from Fairbanks don't really come to Anchorage. Fairbanks birds go up the Tanana and then down to Copper River or they go east into the Yukon and head for the midwest. The Anchorage migrating birds come from the west (Kuskokwim) or they condense off the Susitna valley ponds. Anchorage is stuck between two flyways so it does not get nearly the numbers of birds that other places do.

So you think there should be more ducks to pass through? There are so few around Fairbanks that it seems almost as if they're gone for good....

When the shallow ponds and lakes way to the north and northwest start to freeze up the ducks will move. OR when a large storm shows up that pushes birds south or southeast they will move with it to conserve energy. If the storm is large enough they will over fly a lot of country to take advantage of the tail wind. This is how waterfowl have been moving across North America for centuries.

This has happened in Cook Inlet a couple of times in the last decade when a Pineapple Express storm came through leaving us duckless for a month, and then it becomes clear and freezes at night ending the season quickly.

I think it is going to be over quickly for us around anchorage this season. We aren't seeing many new birds and I think this weather is changing quick, I goit a feeling we will have a couple good days then it will be pretty tough until freeze up.

Something has gone seriously wrong this season, OR something awesome is about to happen the populations throughout Sep. have never been this poor even the early birds were not even close to the normal numbers. Now things are starting to freeze and the rivers are dropping and still NO birds.

+ 1 for AK air. I think we've all been holding out thinking that some morning we are going to wake up and the light switch is going to flip and the skies will turn black with ducks. I think I've been in denial with everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I'll still keep grinding with threes and fours every weekend but I guess what I'm saying is, it doesn't look too good.

Can someone call up north to a friend and get a NO-S-IT on "ICE" then post the info. Need some one to check the marshes to see if they are froze up; there is a chance that they might have split from the clear nights. They prefer a high pressure system and a N-NW wind. I just can't get myself to believe that they just blew thru.

I don't think the have gone through yet. But when they do it will be some good duck hunting for a day or two then on the first clear night they will be gone.

I might as well be hunting in my bathtub as the marsh at S. Cushman... a few empty shotgun shells are about all that's left out there.

i seem to be able to scratch out 3 or so every time i go not too good but better then nothing i guess. birds i got today decoyed very well so idk if there a few new birds or not. That wind really made them hang in the air a while before the danced down into the dekes

my buddy managed to scratch out one shy of a limit yesterday. Maybe the recent cold weather is pushing some birds south. He saw lots of birds flying. He's hunting out of Fairbanks.