Thread: Muzzle Coning

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Muzzle Coning

I see here in a magazine advertisement that I can purchase a "Muzzle Coning" tool for $42.00 per caliber.

OK, so it's spose to allow the ball to be "started with thumb pressure, and gently seated with the ramrod. No more pounding with a short starter."

Don Getz says.... "I've never seen a barrel shoot worse when it is coned and they load a lot easier. Joe's tool is the best."

The ad also says... "Simple to use, this precision made BRONZE tool requires no special skills. Very complete and clear instructions supplied. (I dunno what he significance of "bronze" is.)

$42.00 for each caliber postpaid.

Really??? Is this true???

Think about it. All my MLs are .50 caliber. 3 rifles and one pistol, I could practically change my life for a mere $42 bucks.

Whadda yew guys know about "Muzzle Coning" that you could lay on me?

Thank You Kindly.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've got the tools and have done a number of rifles. Unless the rifle has a flawed crown (and poor accuracy as a result), coning doesn't actually improve accuracy. But it doesn't seem to hurt it either. As the ad sezz, it sure makes loading easier though. Basically you can do away with a short starter entirely.

Doing the work is easy, and requires no machinery. Basically you cut out a specific shape of sand paper and tape (2-sided) it around the radius of the tool, then twist the tool slowly into the barrel- by hand. Takes anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour, stopping to check as you go. That's about it. And yeah, I feel like I got my money's worth.

I don't think I'd do it to a match rifle unless I was using it for trail walks. On a range with a loading table and all, sure go ahead and use a short starter. But any time you're wandering around and loading from a bag, you'll appreciate a coned muzzle.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that starting an all lead conical straight in the bore will be lots easier, too. Hmmm. Another excuse to go shoot!

My lectric, and my dingwong, along with my DSL has been IN_OP. It's so nice to have it all back.

Sandpaper????

That seems strange. I'm losing interest.

I need to learn more about this.

Thanks for the info.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That seems strange. I'm losing interest.

I need to learn more about this.
    Think of those advanced knife sharpening setups that use sandpaper rather than stones. Same idea. Using the paper lets you switch grits on the same tool, rather than having to have multiple tools in order to have multiple grits.

If you're a machinist or know one, you can make the same tool without much expense or effort. It's basically a long brass taper. Of course, if you make it yourself you have to decide on a taper, then figure out your own pattern for cutting out the sandpaper. I'm cheap by a long shot, but not cheap enough to go to the extra effort.

Like I said, it's hard to appreciate the results till you've tried a coned gun. Then you'll cuss every time you fumble for a short starter to load guns that aren't coned.

Thanksa bunch BB:

I preciate the info. You've been a big help as usual.

I'll cogitate on it.

Thanks Again.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.