Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-5 person ATV

Default 4-5 person ATV

What is the best atv for a 4-5 person family? Anyone have a polaris Crew? What other options are there? Does the Mud Ox seat 4-5? Thanks

I have one for sale 300 miles 500cc same as below except it is a green maple camo

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

How does the 500cc engine hold up fully loaded? I am not moving up until February otherwise I would be coming to check it out.

I use a Polaris Crew up at the lodge I work at on the Denali Highway. We have had it 4 months, put 1600 miles on it and no problems. It is long, big & heavy, but with the larger tires on it it has almost 12" clearance. It rides great for the trails/mud we use it on. Also seems to get decent fuel mileage for an 800cc engine. Has plenty of power, especially in low range. Can't speak for other rigs, but when we take out 4-5 customers fishing or on a wildlife tour it is pretty comfy and works fine. Drive them all & do your research, it is a big investment!

Hands down the Hagglunds SUSV! It floats too!

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hard to argue with the SUSV! Transportation, camp and an elevated spotting platform all in one great go anywhere package!!

I have had 5 adults in my Ox and had room for more.

I"m surprised no one has said Polaris Ranger 6x6 with a bench seat in the bed!! The Crews will get high centered, and the Mudd Ox, etc are slow with no suspension - and spendy!

For $13,000 you can be dialed in with a 6x6 ranger that will carry six adults, go 45 mph, and have 10" of suspension travel!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I"m surprised no one has said Polaris Ranger 6x6 with a bench seat in the bed!! The Crews will get high centered, and the Mudd Ox, etc are slow with no suspension - and spendy!

For $13,000 you can be dialed in with a 6x6 ranger that will carry six adults, go 45 mph, and have 10" of suspension travel!
    And it will burn almost twice as much gas. Most people doing family rides do not need to worry about being high centered. The Polaris crew would be a better choice for most. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    And it will burn almost twice as much gas. Most people doing family rides do not need to worry about being high centered. The Polaris crew would be a better choice for most. IMO
    Twice as much fuel?? Please explain! Same engine and close to the same weight - So how does a 6x6 burn twice as much fuel?

The crew cab has it's time and place it just depends on what you are doing and where you want to ride but it would have a hard time on most trails in Alaska.

I have a 6x6 with a jump seat in the back. We use the jump seat in the summer to run around with the family and I take it out in the fall to go hunting or whenever I need to haul supplies. To me the 6x6 is the only way to go it has the best of both worlds without getting high centered so much.

you ahve really opened a can of worms it seams. I bought my argo spacifically for taking my wife and four kids out to go camping in the back country. It has plenty of room can haul alot of gear and unless your speeding down open road or dunes the suspension is not an issue. yes a. amphibius atv is pricy but maint. is low and boy the places you will go plus you stay dry warm and they get great fuel milage. measured by the hour not the miles. they burn the same on flat ground as they do going through the nasty stuff. where a fourwheeler or like, would burn more having to rev up to spin tires or climb.

Just saying that unless you have a need to go on the most rugged trails and take the whole family along in one vehicle, why go with the Polaris 6x6 which burns more fuel and takes more maintenance time. The 4x4 does just fine for most family type riding. From other accounts in this forum, many 6x6 owners have complained about their mileage and it must have to do with the extra set of wheels, dif/shaft,weight. Each person should decide based on his own needs, not on someone elses.

I have both a Polaris Ranger 6X6 and a Polaris Crew. I would toss my 6X6 in the trash and buy a second crew after I've spent a ton of miles on both. I'm so amazed by the crew after this hunting season, I doubt I'll ever buy anything else. Very rough and nasty rutted trails in spots, and no problem with the crew. Never got high centered, or even close to it, although I have been high centered with the 6X6. Not sure why, but that's how it turned out. The 6X6 700 does use at least 25% to 30% more fuel then the crew's 800. Don't know why either, but all I know is I vote for the crew. We put 6 full grown guys in one, along with a complete 52" moose, and drove out without a trail 2 miles, up steep hills and it never even coughed. Amazing. If your thinking about it, come on up and try em both out.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Man it is hard to believe 4-5 adults can fit in a Mud OX! I would luv to see a picture of that just to get an idea of how tight it would be. How much is one of those in comparison to a 800 Crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Searunner View Post
    Man it is hard to believe 4-5 adults can fit in a Mud OX! I would luv to see a picture of that just to get an idea of how tight it would be. How much is one of those in comparison to a 800 Crew?
    Don't have 5 adults around today, but 2 ride up front, the rear area has two side seats and one that faces forward. So 2 up front and 3 in the back. Here is a link to the OX site, they say 6 adults on land and 4 on the water. There is also pictures on the site.

http://www.muddox.net/Features.html

Steve

At 6'5" 265lbs do I fit their definition of an "adult" or are they like most who refuse to accommodate big ol country boys?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    At 6'5" 265lbs do I fit their definition of an "adult" or are they like most who refuse to accommodate big ol country boys?
    Thats Funny!!!! I have run argo tours for 6 years now and every year people are getting fatter and fatter ,I use to able to fit 5 people in an argo this year 4 max 2 in the back and 2 in the front, Next season I have a weight limit of 250 pp as this year most people were over 300 + . I put bus seats in the back of the argos 2 years ago as peoples ***** were to big to fit on a normal argo seat. And the sad thing is the bus seats are not wide enough this year
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

What about the new Arctic Cat that seats 3 across the front bench? Throw a removeable jumper in the back, remove for real use, and one is good to go. ???
    http://www.arctic-cat.com/prowler/HDX700.php

Seems like a decent machine..

Thanks for all the info... I think I am gonna have to try out a mud ox and a ranger crew with the family on board to see how they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast