Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: benefit 4 kids vs make a wish....this is crap

Thumbs down benefit 4 kids vs make a wish....this is crap

this has been buggin me since early this season...i'm waiting on the wind to let up (to fly out to my next camp), and figured i'd spend the time to post this...not sure if its been brought up on here before or not.

my boss donated a big portion of a bear hunt to a young man for benefits for kids (an organization similar to make a wish...lets terminall ill, and severely ill kids pic an event or destination they would like to go to and helps them get there) i was fortunate enough to get to guide kyle harris and his dad dennis...and while the hunting wasnt as good as we would have liked for brown bear, kyle missed a shot at a black bear and had a neat little adventure with me and his dad during his stay. a tough, smart young adult, Kyle has battled his way through lymphoma and is currently in remision and very stable. due to the kemo kyle went through in his lungs three years ago he is very supceptible to getting pneaumonia, and when he got a touch of a bug on day five, we opted to get him out as apposed to letting it develop into something serious...my boss is gonna have him back as soon as possible to see if we can get him a bear rug....

what i was interested in finding out is that make a wish foundation WILL NOT LET ANY OF THERE KIDS GO ON A HUNTING TRIP...period.

so...in other words, a terminally ill kid can make a wish...any wish...any wish in the world he would like granted...except a hunting trip. i thought that was the worst sort of crap!

benefit for kids on the other hand, sends the kids and young adults in there programs hunting and fishing quite often. i commend them for that and have gained quite a bit of respect for the organization....and obviously lost any respect for make a wish...that just sucks...to be so arrogant an organization as to prevent a terminally ill patient ( for whom your organization was established to help in the first place by the way) from doing something he or she truly wants, based on some liberal ideals (crap) or motivations....

anyway, it made me hot to hear about this and i thought it might be something you guys should or would like to know...i know where i'd put my money were i ever in the position to donate to an oganiztion for terminally ill kids...it wouldnt be with the make a wish foundation....

and by the way...i've been humbled as a person during my daily adventures within my profession more times than i could begin to count....but let me tell you, theres nothing more humbling than being around someone like Kyle while out there in the hills...you know its easy for alot of us to take for granted our lifestyles, our alaskan tough mentality, or physical ablilities due to skill, youth, experience or a mixture of them all...but man, try not too...cause there aint a **** thing that's gaurenteed...that kid never did anything to get cancer...theres absolutely zero reasons he "should" have cancer...it's just there....there's no reason for it, and it aint fair, but it is...not trying to get on a soap box or anything, but i'll say one more thing...being around kyle made me soooo much more gratefull for the ability to do what i do and just be out there......the only thing for certain is that each and every one of us will see the day when we cant be out there anymore and do the things we love to do, so lets have fun while we're able. couple more pennies

zack shrum

What a bunch of crap. I am bummed to hear this news. Thanks for posting your thoughts

That's sad to hear. I thought make a wish sent a kid on a brownie hunt on Kodiak a few years back? Wonder if this is a new policy? Glad to hear you boss ponied up to take a young lad out.

Tim

The make a wish foundation is a Scam IMO. I had a cousin who was terminally ill and is passed on now they got a hold of the Make a whish foundation because he wanted to drive a nascar ( he was 17 had a drivers license etc.) HE just wanted to drive one not in a race or anything just take a lap. We use to live near the KY speedway and when there weren't races there they had practice cars you could pay ALOT of money to do x number of laps. So my aunt who was swamped with medical bills got all this coordinated to propose to the make a wish people after they said he has been "selected" and when she told them what he wanted they told him no because it was TOO DANGEROUS! What is the absolute worst thing that could happen? He could crash and die I know it is bad to think of it this way but he was terminally Ill and knew he was going to go soon anyways he loved nascar and would of rather went that way then dieing of a crappy illness.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    That's sad to hear. I thought make a wish sent a kid on a brownie hunt on Kodiak a few years back? Wonder if this is a new policy? Glad to hear you boss ponied up to take a young lad out.

Tim
    They did Tim, and they were prostested by pEta and the usual suspects from Hollyweird. As I recall they changed their policy after that.
    They only honor touchy-feely wishes now.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

That is pretty bogus no doubt!!! Really too bad indeed. Anyways, thanks for the reality check. If/when Kyle comes back I hope you get to guide him again and keep us posted on how he does as I believe we'd all be rooting for him.

It is crap about make a wish, though it's not new news. They haven't allowed hunting trips for years. The good news is there is a nother option for kids to go hunting.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Make a wish has been that way for a long time. Over 10 years. I hadn't heard of Benefit for Kids, but "Hunt of as Lifetime" was formed after Make a Wish opted out of hunts. Guide I know up this way gets quite a few Hunt of a Lifetime kids.
    Make a Wish is a scam. Seems I heard some folks at Make a Wish left to form Hunt of a Lifetime.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

One thing about life that's for sure; there's always a bummer greater than the one I may be going through at any certain time.

I pray there's a very special place for kids who never get to grow up.

Downer of a thread, Ninefoot, but it needed the light of day. Thanks for sharing.

Taylor

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

anyone got a link to the Benefit for Kids organization...I am sure that a few donations to a GOOD cause will be much appreciated by those that deserve it the most...BK

Here's the link to Benefit 4 Kids:
    http://www.b4k.org/

Zack, kudos to your boss for helping with Kyle's hunt. Glad you enjoyed your time afield with him. Yep, life is fragile, and it's easy to take good health and physical ability for granted. Here's wishing Kyle pulls through and gets better and gets his bear next time.

Thanks for point this out. I always donate yearly to childerns causes, Shriner's has always gotten my donations for the work they do. I always used to tell anyone who was pi$$ing and moanin to go visit a childrens cancer ward and they wouldn't have anything to complain about again. We need to support outfits like Benefit for Kids! What a special experience that must be for you ninefoot. Thanks for doin it.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

wow guys, pretty harsh words. bashing a charity for kids, stand proud. do you know that of the last 200,000 wishes granted to these kids with life threatening diseases less than 12 wishes were for hunting. did you also know that Make A Wish has partners that do fullfill these wishes.
    weak and pitiful thread this is, im ashamed i even read it.

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    wow guys, pretty harsh words. bashing a charity for kids, stand proud. do you know that of the last 200,000 wishes granted to these kids with life threatening diseases less than 12 wishes were for hunting. did you also know that Make A Wish has partners that do fullfill these wishes.
    weak and pitiful thread this is, im ashamed i even read it.
    Just curious how you came by your info?

I want to start out by saying that I think it is great that you are so enthusiastic about the fact that you were able to help make a terminally ill child happy. The world needs more people that are willing to contribute their time in that way.
    However, here is where I have issue…For someone who is so willing and humbled to have been part of an event like that, for you to say that the Make a Wish foundation, basically, doesn’t disserve money or respect is ridiculous. Just because they do not grant to ill children, many of which are probably on some pretty strong medications and weak from different illnesses and treatments, an opportunity to handle a fire arm, doesn’t mean that their organization in general is not a worthwhile cause.
    Their entire purpose is to give kids that have been suffering a chance to be happy and forget about their illnesses, even if just for a short time. The numbers of hunting wishes they get are so minimal. I think that you are assuming that because you want to help that it means that there must be a ton of kids that want to hunt. But I’m sure that what you aren’t taking in to consideration is that a lot of those kids are typical kids and probably want to go to Disney or meet celebrities or some other typical childhood wish. I worked in the tourism industry for a long time and can tell you that most people that come up here think about the fishing and glacier viewing; And to see at least one moose, of course. I think that a lot of Alaskan kids like the Alaska specific hunting here if that is what they have grown up doing, but they probably wouldn’t need to go through an organization to get someone to take them to do so. Just because you might wish to hunt if you were a sick child, doesn’t mean that they would necessarily. Priorities for children are different when they are brought up differently. I would believe that if you aren’t raised in a hunting type of environment or in a family that teaches you to hunt or loves to hunt…you probably wouldn’t even think about it as an option. The number of kids that wish to hunt with Make a Wish is so small that it’s hardly worthy of your anger at them. And when they can’t do it, they will help find organizations for the kids that CAN help. Maybe before you make such a public denouncing of a charitable organization, you should do a little research. I’m sure that their corporate office would be happy to talk to you about it.
    The point here is, that there are a lot of organizations that do a lot of great things…and any organization that is completely dedicated to making the wishes of suffering children come true is worthy of peoples respect.
    Good luck!
    -Charisma

Just curious how you came by your info?
    Maybe because Preed is heavily involved with Make a Wish in Alaska. In fact the kid's ice fishing tourney he helped put together raised over $4000 last winter. Enough to grant a wish to some deserving child. My company donated time and use of our rental tents last year, and we will be doing it again and again as long as they ask us.

I could care less if Make A Wish doesn't take kids hunting. I'll still donate to them because they grant the wishes to thousands of terminally ill children throughout America. The vast majority of kids could care less about going hunting, that doesn't make their wish any less important than a kid that wants to go hunting. Charisma has this covered pretty thoroughly. I am actually surprised that any outdoorsman didn't already know that Make A Wish didn't take kids hunting. This was hashed out pretty well 10 years ago.

If there is a local Benefit 4 Kids fundraiser, let me know. I'd be more than glad to help them out too. They are both great organizations.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Make a wish does great things.... Still totally sucks that they will not take kids hunting. They will direct you to another group if you want to go hunt.....so what that does not change the fact that they will not do it. Not many kids ask to go hunting..... So what does not change the fact that they have a no hunt policy.

Having a group that is so respected and honored like make a wish makes it even worse to have a no hunt policy. It is an anti move wether they relize it or not.

for whatever it's worth, i wrote them and included their response.....>
    I have been told that "make a wish" refuses to grant hunting as a
    > wish. I am an active duty soldier in the great state of Alaska and
    > recognize the value and beauty in being able to participate in
    > America's greatest traditions in the most beautiful state in the
    > country. please let me know if this is true at your most
    > convenient opportunity. thankyou.
    > Thank you for your message and concern. The Make-A-Wish Foundation
    > discontinued granting wishes that involve the gift or use of
    > firearms or other weapons designed to cause injury, such as
    > hunting, a decade ago. The Foundation granted its last hunting
    > wish in 1996 and granted fewer than a dozen hunting wishes overall
    > before the current policy was established.
    >
    > The decision to discontinue granting such wishes was based on the
    > unique and inherent danger involved in a wish experience that
    > exposes the child and all wish participants to the hazards of an
    > operational firearm or any other deadly weapon. After searching
    > for a method in which wishes involving firearms could be granted
    > in a sufficiently safe environment, the Foundation concluded that
    > wishes and weapons could not be combined in a manner in which
    > safety can be reasonably reassured.
    >
    > It is the philosophy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation to find a way
    > to grant each child's most heartfelt wish, no matter how difficult
    > the request may be to fulfill. However, it is irresponsible to
    > grant a child's wish if fulfilling that wish exposes the child and
    > other wish participants to enormous risk.
    >
    > The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted more than 13,400 wishes in
    > fiscal year 2008, the most ever in the organization's 28-year
    > history. Thanks to generous supporters and nearly 25,000 committed
    > volunteers nationwide, we will continue bringing hope, strength
    > and joy to courageous children with life-threatening medical
    > conditions.
    > Make-A-Wish Foundation® of America
    > 4742 N 24th ST, STE 400
    > Phoenix, AZ 85016
    > (602)279-9474/(800)722-9474
    thankyou for your reply,
    you stated....The decision to discontinue granting such wishes was based on the unique and inherent danger involved in a wish experience that exposes the child and all wish participants to the hazards of an operational firearm or any other deadly weapon. After searching for a method in which wishes involving firearms could be granted in a sufficiently safe environment, the Foundation concluded that wishes and weapons could not be combined in a manner in which safety can be reasonably reassured.

while i applaud your concerns for safety, please know that safety is the foremost concept in introducing all individuals to firearms handling.

i will not try and change your mind but please objectively understand that...
    in addition to fundamental rights for all to have and use firearms,
    in addition to safety always being first and of foremost importance in any gun related activity,
    hunting, specifically, offfers greater experiences in establishing morals, ethics, and values in an activity that is healthy and rewarding.
    i would be extremely encouraged if make- a- wish considered the above and reinstituded hunting as an opportunity to bring the excitement of a hunting experience to any child that requests it.

Default sometimes i think we do go too far

When I first read Zack's post I had written out a long reply similar to what Akcharisma and Doug had posted. But I ended up deleting it and just posting what I did.

Make-a-Wish Foundation made a political/financial decision after the brouhaha over the Kodiak bear hunt wish they granted a decade ago. I don't fault them for that decision, because the hunting community itself was more than willing to take over in the realm of granting hunting wishes. Sometimes there is a larger benefit to be had overall by discontinuing just one small slice (hunting wishes), and I honestly think that is why Make-a-Wish made the decision, and I'm fine with it.

It isn't an "anti" position, it's just a realistic position in today's social and political climate.

I think Zack was off base pitting B4K "vs" Make-a-Wish Foundation. Many if not most of us already knew that Make-a-Wish no longer granted hunting wishes. But we also knew that they have continued to do great things for terminally ill children. And that orgs like B4K and Hunt-of-a-Lifetime were there to take on the hunting wishes.

Matter of fact, if I recall, B4K was started because Make-a-Wish (back when they did grant hunting wishes) has an upper age limit and the woman who started it, her ill son was 19 and so could not be granted a hunting wish or any wish, so she started B4K to help in that regard.

Holly, I don't fault you for writing them...but a simple google search will likely show much of the same was done a decade ago when this was in the news and they gave the "safety" concern responses. I just think that this has been hashed out already long ago and really there is no reason to re-hash it. Make-a-Wish is not going to change their current policy. They still do good things though and I don't think the hunting community should denigrate them for their policy. That seems to make us look bad, imo. Instead of doing that, we should be promoting the good things B4K and Hunt of a Lifetime are doing, and encourage folks to get involved in those orgs or hunts if they truly care about this.
    Sincerely,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast