Thread: where to fish

Default where to fish

hey
    i'd like to get into some fish this weekend and don't know where i should go. doesn't matter the species. ive read fly fishing is good but i'm not sure i'm good enough to even catch fish, nor have i ever fall fly fished before. i would try but would like to get into some fish. any suggestions?

hunting ak

In the water.

Kenai River. Find someone w/ a boat to take you out and you'll have success.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    hey
    i'd like to get into some fish this weekend and don't know where i should go. doesn't matter the species. ive read fly fishing is good but i'm not sure i'm good enough to even catch fish, nor have i ever fall fly fished before. i would try but would like to get into some fish. any suggestions?
    I just looked at your profile and there was no info on your zip code so how can I give you advice on where to go?
    I mean Ketchikan creek has steelhead, chena river has grayling and the sag has char. does that help?

Fullbush...is the wind howling out there? It's breezy enough in Anchorage right now and weather service was calling for big winds out in the valley thru tomorrow. I'd been thinking of taking the kids out to Matanuska or Kepler-Bradley lakes this weekend (renting a rowboat or canoe and trolling) for some fall trout...but the idea of rowing/paddling with these winds isn't getting me very excited.

MRFISH,
    The winds here in valley are horrible. Power outages everywhere, trees on lines. I would avoid the valley for a couple days...

Today...Mostly sunny. Areas of blowing dust. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph with gusts 40 to 60 mph.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the 50s. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph.

Sunday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s to lower 50s. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Fullbush...is the wind howling out there? It's breezy enough in Anchorage right now and weather service was calling for big winds out in the valley thru tomorrow. I'd been thinking of taking the kids out to Matanuska or Kepler-Bradley lakes this weekend (renting a rowboat or canoe and trolling) for some fall trout...but the idea of rowing/paddling with these winds isn't getting me very excited.
    Dude its been screaming all night and the power keeps flickering.
    I think there is a fishing derby sponsored by Burkshore this wknd at Big lake MRFISH I bought a ticket because it enters you in a raffle for a pretty nice jon boat, don't know if I'll actually fish tho, if the weather is good I prolly will.

Thanks salmon bone and fullbush...I figured if it was this windy in Anchorage, then it must be howling out there.

I guess until fishak tells us where he's at...I'll hijack his thread and ask for myself.

I'm wanting to get the kids out for some RV camping and trout fishing before I winterize and put away the RV. We usually stay close to Anchorage (easy on gas) and go to Kepler-Bradley or Matanuska Lakes (and the RV camping there, too). But with the wind, I think I'm looking elsewhere and willing to go farther...maybe out the Parks Hwy...or south to the Kenai Peninsula.

Does anyone have recommendations on a place to RV camp (we don't need full hookups, but electricity is nice) and have a campfire? One of my favorite ways to lake fish is to troll so I'm looking for somewhere that also has rental boats (rowboats, canoes...with electric trolling motors a big plus...but not necessary).

I bet my boat is getting sandblasted on the trailer in Whittier
    As for camping spots MRFISH we like S. Rolly lake campground. The fishing seems better in some of the other lakes tho. I was looking at a lake lot in meadow lakes the day before yesterday and while I was standing on the bluff w/ my polarized glasses I could see a constant trickle of 12 to 20" rainbows swimming right along the shore feeding off something falling off the trees

The wind is so bad in the valley that it blew away a brand new trampoline that I had put up in my front lawn. Found it this am about a block away and it was a pretty stout sucker too. All busted up and bent to Hell. Don't think I would want to venture out this way just yet!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

sorry i've had internet problems today, but i'm in anchorage. i wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours to get into some fish. thanks

Default wind

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The wind is so bad in the valley that it blew away a brand new trampoline that I had put up in my front lawn. Found it this am about a block away and it was a pretty stout sucker too. All busted up and bent to Hell. Don't think I would want to venture out this way just yet!!
    2 trees in my yard are blown down, and another on the road out front. And lots on all the roads around me.

Power was only out here for about 5 hours; lucky. Many people have gone without for longer.