Thread: optimax oil

Default optimax oil

i have a 2005 jetcraft extreme shallow with a 200 hp mercury sport jet. i was wondering if any one new were to get oil in bulk. i live in willow so the closer the better. what other oils can i run other than mercury dfi oil. $83.00 per 2.5 gallons gets spend after a while. is there any were cheaper than that? thanks

I run ams oil which I get from Dupiont here on the site he gets in in bulk and sells it at a very good price

I've been running West Marines oil this summer with no problems. Probably the furthest from you though.

Quote Originally Posted by dnlcaven View Post
    i have a 2005 jetcraft extreme shallow with a 200 hp mercury sport jet. i was wondering if any one new were to get oil in bulk. i live in willow so the closer the better. what other oils can i run other than mercury dfi oil. $83.00 per 2.5 gallons gets spend after a while. is there any were cheaper than that? thanks
    If interested in Amsoil drop me a line.....here is a link for OB oil with retail price. I buy bulk and share. Which can make the price per gallon $6 or more cheaper then the listed retail price. Generally I can get it to anyone within 50 miles of Anchorage same day with no charge for delivery.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hpi.aspx

A friend changed this year to Amsoil in his Predator and its worked fine. I'm planning to change over this next season.. oil was rather expensive this year at Marita.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I used Amsoil all summer without any issues at all

i also use amsoil in my 03 opti 150 been using it for 3 years now with no problems

I ran amsoil all summer no problems. dupiont spinner is the guy to get it from. he not trying to make any money offf the stuff just a bunch of guys getting together and buying it cheap.

Ditto on the Amsoil. It's called HP Injector for those that don't know. Amsoil products are some of the finest on the planet for anything you drive or ride. I've run it in my '08 200 Opti since I first turned the key, no issues, plus it lives in all my other carbon footprint increasers. God bless America. If it helps, for a few bucks anyone can become an Amsoil Preferred customer or a dealer (dealer is $30/year) and get the dealer pricing, order it direct from Amsoil and it will be shipped to your door out of the distribution center in Palmer. I recommend ordering a case or two of gallons and pay a little more for that packaging and then you'll have some good sturdy bottles to feed out of that 55 gallon drum you and your buddies got together and bought, or if you get enough guys get a 275 gal tote. The Amsoil gallons pack nicely for long trips and are easy to handle. Added bonus- this stuff makes no smoke in the DFI, and I ran it for years in my old 90 Johnson 50:1 premix jet and it cut the smoke there by about 2/3. Winter has arrived here in Fairbanks I'm sorry to say. Boat is put away, sort-of....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    If interested in Amsoil drop me a line.....here is a link for OB oil with retail price. I buy bulk and share. Which can make the price per gallon $6 or more cheaper then the listed retail price. Generally I can get it to anyone within 50 miles of Anchorage same day with no charge for delivery.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hpi.aspx
    So what is the shelf life of this oil? I believe it about 3 years with most oils.

I was looking into buying bulk until I came across the shelf life issue. I think the problem is the additives start dropping out and forming a gunk in the bottom of the container.

I was thinking of buying a 55 gallon drum but I use about 10 gallons a year. So a 3 year shelf life would limit me to 30 gallons bulk.

Does the Optimax DFI oil also have a shelf life? I've never heard of oil being subject to aging in the container before. Educate me.

From the Amsoil site on Shelf Life

Well, the answer to that question depends on who you ask. Shelf life recommendations for lubricants can vary significantly, from a year to a century, depending on a range of variables. The primary issue is storage environment. Not all motor oils are stored under ideal conditions. Here is a short list of factors that can influence the shelf life of motor oils.
    Product Design. Some formulation chemistries and certain additives are more aggressive than others. The nature of the chemistry can affect the shelf life of lubricants.
    Storage Temperature. Both high heat (greater than 100ºF) and extreme cold (lower than 0ºF) can affect lubricant stability. Decreasing the storage temperature can cause sediment formation and additive separation. The ideal storage temperature should be between 45ºF and 80ºF.
    Moisture. Water can react with additives in the lubricants to form insoluble materials and shorten the shelf life. Water can also promote microbial growth in lubricants. If water gets into the container through improper handling or condensation, condensation can occur when the storage temperatures fluctuate over a wide temperature range.
    Contamination. Elements such as iron and copper in the oil can catalyze the lubricant oxidation process and shorten its shelf life. These elements can be introduced to the lubricant by improper handling, storage and use of equipment.
    Frequent Agitation. Frequent agitation of an open lubricant container can incorporate air into the oil. Oxygen can react with lubricants and affect their viscosity and consistency. Agitation also serves to emulsify water into oil and increases the rate of lubricant degradation.
    The optimum storage environment for motor oils and other lubricants are as follow.
    1. Store lubricants in a cool, clean and dry indoor area.
    2. The ideal storage temperature is between 45ºF and 80ºF and at a temperature that does not fluctuate significantly.
    3. When storing drums or other large containers outside for extended periods of time, ensure that no dust or moisture enters the container.
    4. Grease containers should be stored right side up due to bleeding (fluid separation). Bleeding commonly occurs with grease and is more prominent at higher temperatures.
    5. Wipe off the tops and edges of containers before opening to avoid any contamination from improper handling.
    6. Always use clean tools. Common signs of improper storage or contamination of a lubricant may include:
    • Layering within the fluid
    • Formation of solid particles
    • Color change or hazy appearance

If any of the above conditions exist, the lubricant may have become contaminated or its shelf life may have been exceeded. In any case it is advised to dispose of the product properly. In some instances a lubricant can be tested to determine its serviceability. If the product’s test results fall within the original specifications, it should be suitable for use.
    One more thing to check. You’ll want to validate the product’s performance claims against the current OEM specifications. Equipment design and specification changes over time can make the old product obsolete for new equipment. The current API spec motor oils is SM and for 2007 diesel vehicles it is CJ-4.
    Bottom line, there are a lot of variables to consider, but generally, under ideal storage conditions the estimated product shelf life for AMSOIL lubricants can be quite long, with five years being a guideline. Care should be exercised when using lubricants that have been stored for a long time.

I know this concerns motor oil but can be applied to other Amsoil Products. I recommend you get a group together and share for the larger bulk. I buy 110 gallons of HP Injector oil every year, about 150 gallons of Interceptor and currently I am buying a Marine/Diesel Motor oil 55 gallon barrel about every two months.

Also remember Amsoil is not a petrolum based product (it is a pure synthetic base unless you purchase a blend) so it does not react to long term storage issues as does normal oil products.

Default Wow. I had no idea.

I bought 7 cases of Mercury Optimax oil in 2006. I've stored it in an unheated shed since I received it. It temperature drops to well below zero F in the winter. I've used half of my supply with no obvious ill effect. Do you think it's still safe to use? Should I move the remaining stock indoors? What about the oil in the reservoir on the boat sitting outside in the freezing cold?

What are other Alaskans' experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    From the Amsoil site on Shelf Life....
    WOW, Great info! I was talking to a Crowley distributor who clued me into the shelf life issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    I bought 7 cases of Mercury Optimax oil in 2006. I've stored it in an unheated shed since I received it. It temperature drops to well below zero F in the winter. I've used half of my supply with no obvious ill effect. Do you think it's still safe to use? Should I move the remaining stock indoors? What about the oil in the reservoir on the boat sitting outside in the freezing cold?

What are other Alaskans' experiences?
    Wow 4 years you need to get that boat on the water!!!!!!

The biggest problem is leaving airspace and large swings in temperature. This will produce condesensation. Oil stored on the boat is only there over the winter no big deal. I also believe shelf life tends towards motor oil vs 2 stroke.

At work they have a large clear storage tank for motor oil and I can see a sediment in the bottom of that tank. The oil is pumped from the tank. The only time that the tank is opened is to fill it. The oil is bought at about 250 to 300 gallons at a time and used in less then 6 months time frame. The tank is at a steady 70* out of the sun. So what is the stuff in the bottom? One of these times I am going to get a sample to find out.

If you are worried about it, shake it up before use.

Always check the product manufacturer dates. You may find alot of the oil you purchase is already a year or more old.

KelvinG
    Amsoil has always been good about being up front on their products. If you are interested here in some good reading about oil here is a study that was done on motorcycle oil....Amsoil did not alays finish 1st in every test but it did the best overall. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

In NW Alaska the boating season is short. I simply bought a bunch of oil when I purchased the boat and shipped it inside the boat on the barge. The jugs in the cases are all sealed as they left the factory. I only open them when I need to refill the reservoir on the boat. I'll have to check them out for sediment.

It seems like there are only so many weekends when the water isn't "hard." Throw in a Summer/Fall sheep hunt, moose hunt, caribou hunt, etc. and my boat only receives moderate use. It has 160 hours on it after 3 1/2 seasons. Plus it is pretty miserly on oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by dimrod View Post
    In NW Alaska the boating season is short. I simply bought a bunch of oil when I purchased the boat and shipped it inside the boat on the barge. The jugs in the cases are all sealed as they left the factory. I only open them when I need to refill the reservoir on the boat. I'll have to check them out for sediment.

It seems like there are only so many weekends when the water isn't "hard." Throw in a Summer/Fall sheep hunt, moose hunt, caribou hunt, etc. and my boat only receives moderate use. It has 160 hours on it after 3 1/2 seasons. Plus it is pretty miserly on oil consumption.
    Understand the remote part and maximizing the shipping part. What you can do also to help many times is keep turning the case over from time to time if you believe you are going to have it for a while longer, especially/only if they are sealed containers.

thumps up for your article, great post...