Thread: sealing a moose euro mount

Default sealing a moose euro mount

I'm sure this has been covered in here but I can't seem to find the thread. Am in process of boiling up my moose skull, plan on having the euro mount on the outside of the house ~ wifey says no more dead critters inside

What is the best sealant to put on skull and antlers? Hope to keep the original antler color and preserve the bleached skull. Would imagine what ever the sealant its probably best to apply each year? Thanks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=european

Here ya go.. There are a few of us that are in the process right now. I am using the maceration process it is long and smelly but im on week 2-1/2 and it seems to be working well I would of liked to boil it to expedite the process but couldnt find anything nearly large enough to put the skull in to boil. I suppose I could of cut a 55 gallon drum in half and built a fire underneath but that is way too much work! Anyways hope this helps good luck!

Thanks for the link. I see a mention to a poly seal ~ anything more specific on how to keep the outside weather from turning finished anters and skull different color?

I don't think there is anything that you can put on them to keep the color. The sun just beats them to death. The reason why mine are all inside the shed!

polyurethane. Skull will look a little darker than pure white but will last longer outside and gives it a nice shine.

Any thing you apply will be broken down by UV and need to be wire brushed at a minimum and reapplied evry year. Leave the skull as is and sun will bleach and will remain white and will last for a long time with out doing anything can always paint it white with out door mattepaint for some protection. For the antlers just use some stain on every year in the summer when dry and call good. what ever you do the weather/ UV damage will destroy any thing applied.

I figured I would need to reapply whatever I use on an annual basis. Boiled up the skull this weekend. An hour with the needle nose pliers and my havelon, followed by another quick boil and pressure wash and the skull is clean. Thanks for the advice guys.

what did you use to put the skull in to boil it? I couldnt find anything big enough to fit my skull in to boil it so I had to use maceration to clean it up.

I bought a 15 gallon galvinized tub from Lowes on Saturday. The head wouldn't comleatly fit in, but I just made a tent of tin foil. Boiled with nose down, flipped over then brain cavity down. The tin foil worked real well.