Thread: The grouse are loving the cool temps and so am I!!

Default The grouse are loving the cool temps and so am I!!

Went out this morning to get after the grouse it was about 28 degrees where I was hunting and man they were everywhere they are definatly seperating now as most were 1 and 2's together and a few larger groups with 4 or 5 but not as many groups as there were about a month ago. I could of easily limited out if I wanted to but I stopped myself as that would of been wasteful we only eat grouse every once in a while so 10 would of lasted forever. Ended Up with 3 ruffies and 2 spruce. And man 2 of them are FATTIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Went out this morning to get after the grouse it was about 28 degrees where I was hunting and man they were everywhere they are definatly seperating now as most were 1 and 2's together and a few larger groups with 4 or 5 but not as many groups as there were about a month ago. I could of easily limited out if I wanted to but I stopped myself as that would of been wasteful we only eat grouse every once in a while so 10 would of lasted forever. Ended Up with 3 ruffies and 2 spruce. And man 2 of them are FATTIES!

yumm! dinner is served! good job
    Semper Fi!

Some good lookers you got there.

Just curious, were you using a .410, .22 or something else?

Tim

.22lr with head/neck shots so I wouldnt ruin the breast meat.

heck i head shot them with my .40 s&w glock.
    Semper Fi!

Well done! I have found a .410 with a full choke, and #4 shot works great even out to 50+yards.
    I need to get out to Fairbanks and do some huntin'. Any good spots you would recommend?

I use to use a single shot .410 but got tired of digging BB's out of the breasts, now I just use the .22 and the head shots knock em dead instantly it can get a bit ugly tho if you make a good shot. I usually just hit up all the old logging roads and the Bonanza Forest between Fairbanks and SKinny dicks.

I like to bow hunt them with judo heads...shoot them on the ground, not in trees!!!

Last week I ran into a group of AT LEAST 30 grouse while moose hunting....man, I've never seen that many grouped together before, those suckers just kept flushing, and flushing and flushing, I thought I was being "punked"....

I tried with my bow once with field points ended up losing 2 arrows and breaking a shaft on the gravel so I called it a day. I need to add a 5 foot pin in my sight for these things because thats about how far away I was kept going right over so I tried to compensate and shoot low and that is when I broke the shaft.

Thanks for the story/info /pics. I never thought to use my .22, but I am gonna take it out on my next trip after seeing your catch.
    Well done.

Lots of people use .22 for grouse thats almost the preferred method around here unless your using a dog to flush them then you use a shotgun of course.

I tried with my bow once with field points ended up losing 2 arrows and breaking a shaft on the gravel so I called it a day. I need to add a 5 foot pin in my sight for these things because thats about how far away I was kept going right over so I tried to compensate and shoot low and that is when I broke the shaft.
    Yea, field tips are not good for grouse hunting I've seen them fly off with an field tipped arrow in them once before. The judo heads have these little wire springs on them that keep them from burrowing into the ground...they will however bury themselves in tree stumps pretty good though...

My main reason for using the bow however, is that I hunt near my home and shooting quietly has its advantages! No reason for the whole neighborhood to know where the grouse are!!

Hey all just out of curiosity I have never actualy taken a spruce hen with a shotgun always a .22 what does the 410 do to the breast at close range?

If you hit them on the wing it doesn't seem to affect breast meat much. I use a .410, and have good luck. I wouldn't use anything bigger, though.

BSJ,

Good job on the grouse man, fry them up like chicken:-)

Not to be confrontational or anything, but you mentioned breaking an arrow shaft on the gravel? You meant the gravel bar of a river right? I'd hate to come around a corner on a wood cutting trip and have a field tip punch a hole in the radiator...

-bobble

Hey Bobbie, it just so happens that gravel roads make up very little of the gravel covered area in this state. I wish people wouldn't try so hard on this forum to catch people doing something wrong.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Amen Brother.

OK, sounds good, for your safety and mine I was just making sure

Yeah no where did I type gravel road. And who would hunt grouse on a gravel bar in the middle of a river thats not very good grouse habitat.