Thread: Just bought a home with a holding tank

Question Just bought a home with a holding tank

Just bought a place north of Fairbanks with a holding tank for water. I am not entirely familiar with this method of water supply so I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources where I could get up to speed. Right now it has a metal tank in the crawl space which has baseboard heaters. I figured out how it is supposed to be filled but I was wondering if there is anything else I should know about upkeep and maintenance. Right now there is an addition that was built on the house with new holding tanks in the crawl space. Currently they are not hooked up to anything, just two large blue plastic tanks sitting there. They came with a tankless water heater that has yet to be installed. I am guessing we will use the pump from the old tank. One tank says out and the other says in. Am I correct in assuming that the in tank is where the freshwater will be pumped in, and the out is where gray water (waste water with the exception of sewage) will go? I grew up on well water and lived in barracks or an apartment most of my adult life, so this is new to me.

Your old/existing tank shouldn't need anything special done with it, good that crawl space is heated. I've run a similar setup (but was a plastic tank) for over a decade and now and haven't had to do a thing, other than rebuild the pump once when *someone* let it run dry I installed a safety-cut out pressure switch on the pump/pressure tank set up to preclude that from happening again. I also installed a float switch inside the tank that acts as an alarm when nearly full - having a flooded crawl space is no fun. This was doable since the plastic tank had accessible hatch for me to reach in and set up the float. Since I haul my own water, rather than use a delivery service, I have to really be asleep at the wheel for this to be a concern anyway.

As for your two new tanks, unless you had some idea what the former owners had in mind, dunno - however I doubt that it was intended for gray water storage/passing - I can't imagine why you wouldn't just have all waste water head towards the septic system/etc. Maybe just additional fresh water storage capacity?

I'd like to get a tankless heater especially for summer use (run off a boiler loop now), but have heard the passages inside the heater core get clogged with calcium/etc pretty quickly with hard water. I don't run a water softener, that may alleviate the potential.

Where are you going to be getting water from?

Thanks for the input XL. I thought both the new tanks were for storage as well, but then i saw that one is labeled in and the other is labeled out. I guess this could mean nothing and I just have two large tanks for storage now. I wish I had asked the former owner before he moved to Florida. I will be getting my water from water wagon. I don't have the ability to haul my own right now. Maybe I will if I ever get a pickup or a trailer for my Jeep.