Thread: Need 200 Sportjet help quick

Default Need 200 Sportjet help quick

Was running the yetna today with a friend and my battery alarm startedbeeping intermittantly. Then my voltage started showing around 10 volts. If I used anything electrical, I'd lose almost all voltage and the motor would almost shut off. After a few minutes of trouble shooting, the motor started running rough. Good at idle, then when I'd power up it would jump up then battery alarm would kick in and lose almost all power again. Finally it died. I tried to start it but it would barely turn over and never started again. I'm thinking the alternator went out and when the battery juice drained, the motor wouldn't run anymore.

So, I removed the alternator and battery. Battery is charging at home now. Doubt I'll find an alternator in the morning, so my plan is to take 3 batteries back to my boat on the yetna and see if I can limp back that way.

Am I missing anything here? Could it be a voltage rectifier or anything like that? The reason I'm thinking the alternator is bad is due to it being really hot once the motor died.

Any ideas would be great.

Rob

good luck...all else fails I guess you'll have to tow it...if it is just a lack of juice, can't see why a few batteries won't get it done...fingers crossed for ya
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Darn. The one person I was wanting to reply and that's all I get? HA HA Oh well. I'll be waiting at Marita when they open and hope for the best.
    Thanks
    Rob

Try Burk shore in Big lake they are mecury dealer also. Hope this helps

I sent you a pm...

Can you clear some room in your PM box? I wanted to send you a couple phone numbers in case you need to borrow an alternator but you're full up....

Chris

Never mind, I sent you a e-mail instead.... good luck

Emptied to PM box. Thanks Chriso. Plus I'll try Burk Shore when they open too. Never thought about them. Thanks.

OK. No luck buying an alternator anywhere in town. Can't believe it's that hard to find a mercury product. Well, took 4 charged marine batteries bak up the yetna. Hooked 2 of them up in series and boat ran great. Hauled butt back to the Deshka landing without a hitch. Thanks for the advise and info. Boat's back in the driveway. Now to search out an alternator. BTW, Marita wants almost $700 for one. Napa says they can order one for $245. Guess who I'm going with. Same brand and model number too.

Rob

rob glad to hear you got it back Man Marita sure like screwing people I understand a mans got to make a profit but come on.

Yep. Burkshore wanted a little over 500. I know shipping is high up here but really? Oh well. I hope to get her up and running again before the water freezes. Too many bears out there to let go for another winter.

Try looking at DB Electrical.com They carry a lot different items and and as you will see they have great prices on things like starters for snow machines . They might be able to help. Found them real helpful for my needs.

Big Bend, Actually I placed an order with them about an hour ago. $108 plus $25 for 3 day shipping. Can't beat that.

Heck for that price I think I just found another spare part to throw in the boat.

I would look on ebay too! My local shops wanted right around $200 for a starter! I ended up getting one at my door the next day for $98! It came 1000 miles or more too! A week later it blew apart and I had a new at my door the next day at NO CHARGE! I didn't have to send the broken one back either. I took it and had it rebuilt as a spare just in case!

Brian

the units from napa and other sources are all rebuilds for the most part new units are expensive just checked with merc list price is almost $400 plus freight (if you want it quick) addtional 150.

ebay ebay look on there.