Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling in Bears

Default Calling in Bears

My hunting partner and I are heading up to the Denali Highway this weekend to look for Grizzly Bears... Does anybody have any input or experience on calling them in? with something like a Rabbit-in-distress call? Or something similar? I just though it would be a nice adrenaline rush to have one coming to look for the wounded rabbit . Any advice? Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    Johnny

Bears are now putting on all the weight for winter. I probably wouldnt call one in unless you intend on shooting it. It will come in looking for a rabbit then settle for you as a nice alternative.

Absolutely plan on shooting it ! Just thought it would be a "fun" way to hunt grizzly rather than sitting on a hillside and glassing for days on end...

I've always gotten to a safe, advantages place and started hollering, but stayed real still."Hey Bear" seemed like the call that works best.

They will come to look at the odd noise and 'whats that?" untill the first shot lets die or never make that mistake again.

I called this guy up from a creek where he was mining Moose, the wife was ready and we stayed still so he didnt spook.

Bears will call you too.....the oldest son and I once cornerd a Brown inna thicket and twice it distinctly call'd "Doug! about a 1/2 minute later "Doug!".....weird, it didnt get us.....or us, it.........~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Absolutely plan on shooting it ! Just thought it would be a "fun" way to hunt grizzly rather than sitting on a hillside and glassing for days on end...
    ok from the sound of your original post it sounded like you were going to call them just to have them come in.

Let us know how this pans out for you. I have never tried or even heard of doing this (other than accidentally calling moose), but I don't see why it would not work. I would make very sure you have a good 360 view and make sure you don't take a nap after calling. Bears this time of year are looking for food in the worst way and especially those that haven't had more salmon than they can choke down during the summer. Bears are very sneaky when they are stalking prey and very quiet. I would also try this in the early morning and probably away from your camp. Camping or walking out in the dark after calling a bear that you may not see could lead to, at the least, a ruined pair of underpants. It sounds like you guys have planned this out pretty well and I am sure you will do well and I am very interested in hearing how it goes for you.

IT WORKS!!! They will either run away or come a runnin. Call for a little bit and then MOVE. They will have the possition pinpointed and then you are a little ways away when they come. Be ready!

what is the best call for a Grizz? Rabbit-in-distress? Or just your run of the mill coyote call? I'll be staying at Claude's up on the Denali Highway....probably get way up on the hill behind his lodge and just keep calling...could be a lot of fun. Thanks for the advice guys...........................

The best "Call for Bears " would be Raven crys, and lots of 'em.
    Maby you can get some to circle or something, I donno, but Bears show up on gut piles when theres 15 Ravens circling it, squaking and fighting. They showup if theres Ravens perched in trees, squacking. Sometimes the Ravens follow the Bears, even Wolves. Seen it plenty, and the Ravens crawin' can be a warning, like little birds that follow Fox through teh willows given 'en heck.
    Maby Bears know that a bunch of Ravens fighting means something good.....and they aint afraid of no Raven.....

When Im walking through the woods in Fall I often Woof and Whaa every few minutes so's whatevers around will just blow my racket off as a Moose...~~LOL!!~~

stranger....what kind of a cliffhanger ending is that! Did your wife get that bear????

Yhea,
    It's no joke, you had better be prepared, have 360 vis with 2 shooters. I lent a buddy my Phantom Pro electronic call a couple of years ago. He called in a large black bear and he could not believe the manner in which the bear came in. I told him essentially you're the food so you better be ready. He said this bear was not messin around, just totally blown away by the body language. They were not in a position to get a shot but watched him in the binos for a little bit. Just be careful, don't want to read a headline about you...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

A real trophy with Cayannn peper fried crisp and through, deep fried in its own light grease....Mmmmmmm, Salt and Pepper....carefull, the fumes from the Cayann will tear ya up ~LOL~

2 shots witha Czeck 147gr.FMJ light ball through a Valmet made M-39 variation of the Mosin Nagant.

Tore out its neck arteries, bled out in less than a minute, running about 100 yards, gushing.

She shot two Mallards the other day with one shot........

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    stranger....what kind of a cliffhanger ending is that! Did your wife get that bear????
    Yeah, she nailed it and it was a monster..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Big-Brown-Bear.........

Cool....thanks.

I did it last year and my experience was that there were no bears around or they ran away. We were a couple to 3 weeks later than this though.

Problem with intending to kill the bear is that it could be a hungry sow with cub(s) in tow. Can't shoot them and now she is hungry eyeing YOU!

Didn't I read a story about this in Bob Bells second book. If I remember, the bears (sow and cubs) came running so fast the guy couldn't react in time........or something close.

I think i'd feel safer in a treestand or somewhere where I had the upper advantage at least for grizzlies. I'd love to try call in bears here, I tried it in Washington a few weeks ago but never had success. Down there it seems its pretty popular to call bears(and successful for some) as they can't bait bears or use hounds(unless permitted).

I'll file a report tomorrow. Going to go use a call where a big black bear has been hanging out for the last week eating berries. Going to try a moose calf bleat. Should be interesting!

Keep us posted on how it works. I took out my fx3 but blotched the backup of sounds and now I don't have any on it. Anyone have sound bites that work on it or know where to get some? Was thinking of upgrading it to a fx5 at the company and getting more sounds and better remote but can't at this time due to huge upgrade cost. Poking forward to hearing how it worked for you

A couple weeks ago out moose hunting I picked out a grizzly roughly a mile and a half away on the other side of the bowl from us up high meandering around. I put him in the spotter on high power to watch for a bit and one of the fellas with pulled out his distressed rabbit call after I pointed out the bear.
    I say "yea right" because of the distance but watched close as he made a hell of a racket with the call. The bear immediately raises on it's hind legs looking our general direction then drops down and runs down our way about 30 yards to the nearest patch of brush and starts digging away uprooting the alders untill he hears the next blast on the call then just keeps focusing our direction for about the next 10 seconds of calling before coming hard all the way down that far side into the heavy spruce in the bottom between us and him. It was impressive seeing the ground he covered in under 20 seconds coming at us.
    It was too close to dusk to bring him up on our side before we had to head back to camp and surely had us nervous the next morning when we were back up there taking care of a bull one of us took that next morning.
    From my observation the rabbit squealer works just fine for the bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast