Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me About Your Argo

Default Tell Me About Your Argo

Does Anyone Have Any Cool Pics Of There Arg In Use? I Would Like To Get One. Also If You Have Opnions On Them (good Or Bad) Feel Free To Voice It.

Default Me Too

I too am interested in an Argo, just don't know much abput them, GOOD or BAD.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

There are several good post on here on Argos, I own 5 of them and love them ,They are a great machine just slow , They are not making the conquest any more ,But in my opinion they are the best ,I have not owned a Avenger yet but thinking of changing my fleet over to that next year ,Waiting to see the new avenger EFI, lower geared

Here are the links

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=6922

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=4852

There also a site just for Argo users ,Check it out very good info

http://www.route6x6.com/

Argo's are only slow compaired to four wheelers when it is a good trail. I love my Conquest but want to get the Avenger! Good machines just do the PM's when they are do.

go down and take one for a drive, it may be in a parking lot but you could get a good feel for it.

here are some pics

http://allseasonsargo.com/scenic/Scenic%20Photos.html

akfj40 is right , But an argo handles 100% different on pavement than in a wet swamp especially if you have tracks. On pavement you can do 360's on a dime

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mooseeker View Post
    Argo's are only slow compaired to four wheelers when it is a good trail.....
    Very true.

And I often ask myself what I'm doing on a four wheeler trail with my Argo when I should be places where 4 wheelers don't dare tread............

Good machines just do the PM's when they are do.
    I've got a 2000 Response, and I bought it used. Not long after buying it I figured out that the previous owner did nothing but put fuel in it, drive it, and abuse it.

If you're not mechanically inclined, an Argo might not be in your best interest. They require much more PM and attention than Japanese wheelers.

Default argo pics

We ran Argos back in the early 80's. They had single cylinder, Briggs 16hp engines and a pretty simple centrifugal clutch/chain drive system. They took a bit of maintenance to keep 'em going, but I never walked home. Even the picture with the sunken Argo. (We pulled that one out, drained the engine, changed the spark plug and ran it another 3 years! That engine never had the head off or anything more than basic maintenance!) The machines were the best you could buy at that time...this was when 3 wheelers were the rage and 4 wheelers were just starting to hit the market. I've run 4 wheelers also and I can tell you that I've had my Argo where no 4 wheeler could get. We ran Jim Creek alot (before it got insane) and made several trips up the Denali highway and one really cool trip across the Talkeetna's...that's a story all of it's own! I can highly recommend the machine and if they've improved at all, the new ones must be incredible! Hunting, fishing, camping, whatever; the Argo allowed you to take your friends and lots of gear into just about anywhere. I'd recommend you take a jaunt with an Argo, but don't do it unless you're prepared to plunk down the money for one of your own! SE Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One more argo pic

Here's another....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SE Mike View Post
    ....They took a bit of maintenance to keep 'em going, but I never walked home......
    I have. Once. My fault.

I "sunk" her.

How do you sink an amphibious vehicle?

Nothing's foolproof, and I'm just the fool to proof that.

It was a 3 mile walk out, but I was back by 9 AM the next morning with tools, a come-along, 50' of 1/2" rope, 1 qt. of gas, 2 qts. oil, and I had it back on the trailer by 4 PM (it would'a been sooner had I put the carb back together right).

what is the usual maintenance? what normally breaks or wears out while out hunting? do they have strong enough charging systems to run extra lighting and a decent winch? is it worth upgrading tires or do the stock tires perform well enough for most of Alaska?

Default So many questions

So many questions. I grease all bearings once a week and change the oil and thats because I run them 4-5 hrs a day 6 days a week, As far a breaking Nothing on any of mine and we ride in over 6 hrs one way to our hunting spot. The only thing I had break once was the alternator belt.and a fuel pump but I had over 400 hrs on them both. I run the stock lights and 3 kc lights at night on my way back to camp and I have a 3500 lb winch on the front and 2500 on the back.And do not forget I also run the heater on the cold days.Tires it depends I do not know about the new Avengers But the Conquest and the Response both have to run The paddle runamuck tires if you want to run tracks on them .Hope this helps
    Last edited by Roger; 03-04-2007 at 02:33. Reason: Forgot to add

Roger,

Thanks for all the info. When running tracks am I correct to assume they work great in bogs and snow but are kinda limited on gravel/rocks and hills? How do they perform in water?

your water speed will be reduced, but its not like its a speedboat w/o them.

turning w/ tracks in a bog or any other marshy terrian requires big turns, turning on a dime will not happen and it will hurt your drivetrain.

rubber tracks in rocks are way better than plastic, they actually grip and conform rather than sliding off and in gravel they do just fine.

rubber tracks for an avenger run around 5000.00 with everything (wheel spacer, guides, etc) and they do up your capabilitys of your machine, you wont get highcentered nearly as much and really can just about go anywhere.

plastic is around 3500.00 i believe but make alot of noise on hard pack and your climbing ability is limited in snow and rock even with ice cleats. but turning is a little easier. hope that helps

we need to get a few rigs together so you can see the difference if we can find some w/ plastic, rubber and no tracks. i have a frontier with no tracks you coould try.

what caused the argos to sink in the pics above? I noticed all of them are sunk front down, should one enter water rear first since it is lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    what caused the argos to sink in the pics above? I noticed all of them are sunk front down, should one enter water rear first since it is lighter?
    Thats what I do on steep banks rear end in the water first and you will never have that problem.

I still like the plastic tracks and the reason is the only way to adjust the tension on the rubber tracks when they stretch is air pressure and the plastic tracks you can take a link out and add a half track . I like that because I run 5 lbs of air in the center tires and 3 pounds of air in front and rear. As far as rocks when we run up into the Talkeetnas ,We run tracks accross the bogs then when we get to the base of the big hills where we caribou hunt (when picked) We drop the tracks and up you go. Not sure about the Avenger they only run rubber tracks but My conquest with super tracks we can drop or put back on the argo in less than 5 min.
    As far as water I use trolling motor when crossing semi fast water.
    REMEMBER once the wheels come off the bottom in water you turn into a boat
    and you are at the mercy of the current. We also carry a small boat anchor for 2 reasons one if you start to float away just throw it at the bank and that will sometimes save you the other is if you get out in a bog and get stuck bury the anchor and hook the winch up to it

In talking to several Argo owners and x-owners over many years, the problems that are mentioned:
    1. Constant maintenance
    2. Getting hi-centered when you go off the trail.
    3. If you get a big moose, you will have to make several trips, because of the low ground clearance and no room. In all fairness, all small ATVS will have problems when you overload them and you take it off a road.
    4. They’re slow, for me this is not a problem.

Default Response

I've ran a response for years. I like the machine. For me its a downgrade from a big track rig. The maintenace is not bad, but I thouroughly go through it every season. Carry a spare tire as well as patch kits. Never had to do any maintenance in the field besides lubing the chains on long runs. As for the ground clearance issues I too was sceptacle, but the driver has a lot to do with it. You learn the machine and get a feel for it. If your not carefull you can get pretty stuck, or drive it to the bottom of a lake.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    what caused the argos to sink in the pics above?
    The wrong approach, and no weight in the rear. Once the nose dove, it was over..........

I noticed all of them are sunk front down, should one enter water rear first since it is lighter?
    Empty, that's were the weight is.

Even if empty, if there is a gradual approach, she'll float (even if nose-heavy).

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    In talking to several Argo owners and x-owners over many years, the problems that are mentioned:
    1. Constant maintenance
    More than a Japanese manufactured ATV.

2. Getting hi-centered when you go off the trail.
    Hell, I've been hi-centered on the trail.

3. If you get a big moose, you will have to make several trips, because of the low ground clearance and no room.
    I don't think this is so. You can fit a caribou, two people, and a heavy camp in an Argo and come out of rough stuff.

4. They’re slow, for me this is not a problem.
    When light, I've stayed ahead of wheelers pulling trailers.

But this is for sure; the suspension sucks. It can be a hard ride.

Like running a Bobcat..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast