Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for scope...

Exclamation Looking for scope...

I am look for a scope to put on my Ruger 338. Not quite sure on what would be a good pick. I am looking for opinions.

I am looking to go caribou and moosing hunting with this gun.

How long do you think your shots are going to be? Do you have a preference on the scope power?

Default Leupold fixed

This is just my personal opinion, and I know others will disagree. I don't own anything but Leupold fixed 4x scopes. I have never been anything but 100% satisfied with them, and I don't feel that having a fixed power scope has ever prevented me from taking a shot that I wanted to take. I highly doubt most hunters really gain anything by having a scope they can dial up to 9x. If you need that much magnification to take your shot, the animal is probably too far away for most hunters to be shooting at in the first place.
    Fixed power scopes are cheaper, lighter, and less complicated. I honestly can't see any down side.

Post ..

I would say any where from 75 to 175 yards. I am a newbie, still learning alot about guns. The is will be my 1st year that i am going to try to hunt.

All advice is appreciated.

The advice that walk-in gave is very good. 4x scopes are good for pretty much anything your going to do with a few exceptions...

On my personal rifle I have a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T scope - Very expensive. Not somthing a normal hunter is going to have - but I also do a lot of long range shooting as well.

You cant go wrong with a good leupold 4x or even a 3-9x!

Quote Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
    I am look for a scope to put on my Ruger 338. Not quite sure on what would be a good pick. I am looking for opinions.
    I am looking to go caribou and moosing hunting with this gun.
    Zeiss Conquest 3X9, $400 at most places. This is also my personal opinion, but a 3x9 would be more versatile than any fixed powers. Caribou hunting could be a long range proposition. Also don't cut corners on scopes. You might one day decide to do fly out hunts or a long hike in for sheep. At those times, you don't want to find out that your scope had fail.

Default .338 scope

Leupold makes a 1.75 x 6 by 32 mm and a 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm in their VX III line. If you look at reliability, weight, length, clarity, ability to transmit available light, eye relief, cost and the warranty you will find why they are so highly thought of by so many hunters of big critters. They have all the magnification a hunter will ever need. The majority of the moose and caribou I have shot and seen shot in the last 40 years have been under 200 yards. Most of those shots have been taken with the scope set on its lower power. A 200 yard zero works for me.
    Last edited by .338 mag.; 02-10-2007 at 09:07. Reason: more info

A 3x9 isn't a bad choice for a .338. It gives you a good choice of ranges from fairly close in to pretty far out. I still use one of the Colorado Redfield's on mine and have never seen any reason to change.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Burris

I have Burris on every one of my rifles. They are American made in Greeley Colorado and have a lifetime warranty. They are advertised as "shockproof" so I accidently tried to put one of them through the test. I fell on an elk hunt and landed on a rock directly on the scope. It put a nice dent into the tube but when I went to test fire it, it was still 2 inches high at 100 yards. Several of my guns have the 4x and I went to the 3x-9x on my newest Ruger. The only problem with a variable, is accidently leaving it tuned into 9x and have to take a quick shot and not being able to find the animal in your scope.

i just bought the leupold vx3 in 3.5-10 for my 308. i later found out that their 2.5-8 vx3 is one of their best scopes as far as clarity and light-gathering. things just worked out perfect for it. has a 33mm objective, but its supposed to be brighter than the 40mm scope. i'm thinking of buying a 338 or a 9.3, probably be going with that 2.5-8 on it.

If it were my money I would purchase either the Leupold 2.5x8 or the Zeiss Conquest 3x9.
    Tennessee

I have Nikon and Leupold scopes on my rifles. The Nikons are less expensive, but still offer great brightness and clarity. The Monarch line is being updated, so there are some great deals to be had on the current models. The 3-9x Monarch is a heck of a lot of scope for the money.

The Leupolds are much more forgiving on where your eye is placed to get the full field of view throught the scope. I have both a 3.5-10x and a 2.5-8x. The latter is more compact and lighter and is my favorite of the two.

Default choices, choices

I own and have used both the Leupold VXIII scopes mentioned above. The 2.5 x 8 is a particular favorite. However, my Burris 3 x 9 is a great scope for less than half the money. Try wholesalehunter.com on line, you can usually pick one up for
    $200 and that includes a set of binos or a little fixed power spotting scope. My Burris has had pretty rough handling sheep hunting and has remained reliable. Of course if you have $400+ laying around go with the Leupold. In either case, I prefer a scope that has a low end no bigger than 3x, in case you have to see more than brown fur up close.

Default Vx-ii

Save yourself $$$ and buy a leupold VX-II 2-7X33, they usually run $270. It is very hard to tell the difference between one of these and the $4??, VX-III.

If you want something cheaper, the Burris fullfield in 3-9 is a good deal, $200.

The 4X is not a bad idea either. A good leupold will run you the same as the 2-7 mentioned above.

I own VX-III, VX-II, Vari-X II, Burris and Nikon. The 2-7 VX-II's are my favorite.

Default best scope for the money

leupold scopes offer the best scope for the money,and you can not beat the lifetime warranty .

I mounted a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x scope on my Ruger M77-MK II stainless rifle back in 1992, and have never had a problem with it, even after putting very small dents and scratches on the tube. The dents come from hitting the ATV's handle bar while riding it.

Now, the original version of the 2.5-8x scope (like mine), were a little on the short side. Leupold either moved the turret a little, or perhaps made the scope longer (I don't know the details) with the new ones. The scope has 4" of eye relief, which is want you want on a rifle from the .300WM and up, since you don't want the scope to hit your eyebrow when you shoot the rifle.

Regardless of which scope you buy, keep in mind that some rifle stocks may be a little too long or too short. If you already have the rifle and can't trade it for one with the correct stock for you, then select a scope that can be mounted on the rifle so you don't have to stretch your neck each time you want to look through it, or one where you have to move your eyebrow away from it. There are extension mounts and rings you can use to move the scope closer to your eye, or farther.

While moose hunting with my .338WM, there have been times where I have had to shoot moose at nearly 300 yards (275 laser-measured), and as close as 100. I have seldom had to use more than 6x, because moose are very large. I do use from 6x to 8x at the range (100 yards). A big scope on the rifle tends to get hit a lot, so I prefer the 2.5-8x or smaller.

A 4x will do the trick, but it is definitely nice to be able to turn the power up to 8 or 9 at times. My first choice is the Zeiss Conquest in a 3-9x or the new 2.5-8x if you want something more compact. Second choice would be the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x. If you want something a little less spendy, the VX-II's, Burris or Nikon. I think the VX-II's are more rugged, but the other two have slightly better glass. I can get you a great deal on a VX-II 2-7 if you want to go that route.

Thumbs up scope options

rugershooter;

given the distances that you say your shots will come at i would go with;

leupold 1.75-6x

leupold 2.5-8x, i own one and it is great. my shots come further out and it is on a .340 wthby. for .338 w.m. i would have went with #1

zeiss conquest, 3-9x, a lot of scope for the money. i had one and still have the 3.5-10x44mm, great scopes for the money.

I agree with walk-in. I have a couple of guns with 3x9 scopes and I have never shot at dinner on any setting other than 3 power. I have a new 338 Ruger and for the life of me i couldn't get my 4x scopes to work because the spacing on the rings were too far apart. The scopes would fit but I couldn't get the correct eye relief. Because the fixed power scopes and some of the lower power scopes mentioned in the thread have shorter tubes the bell would hit the ring. There are other rings with extensions on the bases but I am leary of them. In the end I put a VXII 3x9 on my gun. It is a good scope and has served well in the past.

Default scopes

I have tried many brands. Simmons-Bushnell-Tasco-Redfield-Pentax-Nikon-Swarovski etc.

Clarity and resolution as well as holding zero are the most important things to me. So through the years as each scope has faield in one way or another I have replaced them all with Leupold scopes and never looked back.( the swarovski never failed and was excellent but it was a test loaner and had to be returned. sigh)

I have 5 of these scopes for big game>> Leupold vari-x III 1.5-5x20mm matte heavy duplex
    I also have a vari-x III 2.5-8x36mm
    My others are target and high magnification scopes that wouldnt be suited for your purpose.

Any of these 2 I listed would be perfect for moose or caribou.
    I would lean towards the 1.5x5 myself as it can be used at 1 foot distance from muzzle with good effect for close encounters with bears who hear a dinner bell, all the way out as far as you care to shoot. A moose at 500 yards will appear as a moose at 100 yards would with the naked eye. ( who cant hit a moose at 100 yards with iron sights?) The light gathering of the 1.5x setting is awesome in dusk and dawn and overcast situations.
    The 2x is almost as good.

I hope I save you money and heartache with this advice to get leupold scopes as i have already lost money and had ruined hunts from cheapies.

Schmidt-Bender Zeiss Swarovski are also very, very good but you pay out the ying yang. Leupold seems to be the best bargain dollar for dollar and they are made in the USA with lifetime repair policies.

jedi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast