Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Sure To Register Your Boat

Talking Be Sure To Register Your Boat

Or else...... Fun read, no matter what part of the State you come from.

The Associated Press

Published: September 22nd, 2010 09:36 AM
    Last Modified: September 22nd, 2010 10:10 AM

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski has asked for a "full review" of the arrest of a 70-year-old Alaska man whose lawyer claims National Park Service rangers went a little overboard on a boat safety stop.

Story tools

Comments (0)

Recommend (0)

E-mail a friend

Print

Share on Facebook

Digg this

Seed Newsvine

Send link via AIM

Tweet this

Yahoo! Buzz

Font size : A | A | A

tool nameclose tool goes here
    In a letter to National Park Service director Jonathon Jarvis, Murkowski asked for an explanation about why Jim Wilde was stopped and arrested following what park service officials said began as a routine boat safety inspection.

His attorney, Bill Satterberg, told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner that "badge-heavy park rangers" flagged down Wilde for a boat safety inspection on the Yukon River, then "roughed him up" and pointed a shotgun at him.

Satterberg said Wilde told the two rangers it was unsafe to board his boat in the middle of the river and said he would go ashore with his passengers - his wife, Hannelore, 73, and their friend, Fred Shank - and meet them.

"Nobody boards each other on the Yukon River," Satterberg said.

The trio had been boating up the Yukon River near Woodchopper Creek, downriver from Eagle, while hunting Thursday, when the two rangers approached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Satterberg said the park rangers followed Wilde as he motored to shore, with one pointing a shotgun at him.

After reaching shore, Wilde was anchoring his boat when "the next thing you know he was knocked to the ground," Satterberg said. "They roughed him up a little bit by rolling him around in the mud."

Wilde has pleaded not guilty to four misdemeanors: interfering with agency function, violating a lawful order, disorderly conduct and operating an unregistered boat. Each charge is punishable by six months in jail, a $5,000 fine, or both.

Satterberg described Wilde as "a classic, old, crusty Alaskan" who will have his day in court.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Cooper told the Daily News-Miner he could not elaborate on any details of the case because he was "strictly limited to the public record."

According to the charges Cooper filed against Wilde in federal court in Fairbanks, Wilde threatened, resisted, intimidated and intentionally interfered with a park ranger during an official duty; fled when he was ordered to halt; and recklessly created "a risk of public nuisance and violence by engaging in threatening and violent behavior in the form of maneuvering his boat toward the path of a law enforcement vessel, and in other ways."

Murkowski issued a news release Tuesday calling the circumstances of the arrest "questionable" and the behavior of the arresting officers as "provocative."

"The initial reports I've received indicate that Park Service personnel overreacted in this case," said Murkowski, who is involved in a campaign to keep her seat in the Nov. 2 election. "This incident calls for a full review of exactly what happened."

National Park Service spokesman John Quinley declined to discuss any details about the incident.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/09/22/146642...#ixzz10HhvomnV
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yes, powerboats must be registered. And yes, park rangers/troopers can be world class *****$ when they want to be. I hope the old guy wins the lawsuit against the rangers for excessive force.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I would like to hear the "Rest of the Story". Why would anyone knock a 70 year old man down and roll him in the mud? Even if he is a bit grizzled and mean spirited other methods could have been used.

Default I didn't see anything about a lawsuit.......

just the criminal charges he is facing. Force does not necessarily equal excessive force. While everyone is entitled to their opinion it seems like there was very little information released to actually base one on. Murkowski had no business issuing a statement passing judgment on these rangers. There is a reason we have separate executive and judicial branches. This matter will be resolved in court and has no business being addressed by a politician who is running for office. Unfortunately, most people don't realize what a serious risk elderly people often present to law enforcement officers. After what just happened in Hoonah I would hope Alaskan's would be a little more supportive of law enforcement officers.

I favor the old man's story... at least part of it.
    While I fully support most community beat cops who are dealing with bad guys all day long, I have run into way too many ranger types who are full of themselves and power tripping. They bear little similarity to a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanonamous View Post
    There is a reason we have separate executive and judicial branches. This matter will be resolved in court and has no business being addressed by a politician who is running for office.
    There is no Line differentiating the branches of govt any longer. Hasn't been for a period of time, at least no in my lifetime. Criminals have been pardoned, get off the deathrow, shootfire even our last Senator was found to be unworthy of penalty, as a direct result of political intervention into court proceedings. They all run together nowdays. Hence the reason for political involvement now. I share the contempt for the Park Service and side with the citizen...for every good reason that I can think of. Hopefully a full review will yeild in the dismissal of the Rangers and send them packing back to the lower 48.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I would hope Alaskan's would be a little more supportive of law enforcement officers.
    Shanonamous, Alaskans are supportive of law enforcement officers. We however do take exception to forest service camp ground hosts oops I mean park rangers that run around like banty roosters.

While out of Seward during the Derby I was fishing very very close to a charted barely uncovered rock in Day Harbor. With a fish on a State Trooper came up along side wanting to latch up or see our license and what not. I got on the radio and told him no that I was to close to this rock and would not put in danger my boat or passengers and to back off till I cleared the area. I need to stay on the kicker and to catch my fish. Happy no, waited yes! I think there is more to the story above, on both parties behalf

just the criminal charges he is facing. Force does not necessarily equal excessive force. While everyone is entitled to their opinion it seems like there was very little information released to actually base one on. Murkowski had no business issuing a statement passing judgment on these rangers. There is a reason we have separate executive and judicial branches. This matter will be resolved in court and has no business being addressed by a politician who is running for office. Unfortunately, most people don't realize what a serious risk elderly people often present to law enforcement officers. After what just happened in Hoonah I would hope Alaskan's would be a little more supportive of law enforcement officers.
    SUPPORTIVE.........? Are you kidding? If 1/2 of this is true I would not support these Rangers..................!

Hold a shotgun on him, push him to the ground, are you kidding me? I would hate to think how I might have reacted? As you can tell this makes me hot...........And perhaps there is more to the story, there usally is......!

Maybe the old man intimidated the Rangers some, they should have been able to deal with that, maybe their approach was to intimidate him and he did not respond they way they had planned..........

Residents should not have to fear enforcement officers, but do the rangers need to behave like enforcement when approaching a citizen for a routine check?
    After all it doesnt appear Wilde was actually doing anything wrong, they stopped him for a "safety check", maybe their approach and demeanor pi$$ed Wilde off, honestly, it probably would pi$$ me off too. Just thinking that they would want to board my boat in the middle of the yukon, makes me think their approach was wrong........

Does anyone know if Rangers have the authority to p[erform a "safety check"? I know the Coasties do..................

I am backing the old man, after all we are innocent until proven guilty, it was a safety check that got outa hand, it is our land. The Yukon is a public water way (for now). And furthermore the Rangers work for us.................................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

None of us knows what really happened here. We've only heard one side of the story, and even that side of the story was second or third hand.

I've been a cop, and I've been a Coastie, and I've been on the receiving end of Congressional inquiries, and I'm sure there's more to this story than we've heard so far.

I'm siding for the old guy! But there are 3 sides to every story
    his side
    rangers side
    and the truth

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Unhappy I am disappointed to see

people reaching conclusions and taking sides based on the words of an attorney and a politician.

It'll all come out in the wash.
    Many of us base our reactions on the longstanding, and numerous abuses of the National Park Service and other federal "rangers" upon the traditional uses and activities of Alaskans. Others of us also feel that there are far too many power hungry eco-types who just love to push their power around. I've had a few negative experiences myself with local F&W, but the folks who have really suffered under the iron hand of the feds are the folks who used to operate in the upper Yukon and Wrangell-St. Elias Mountains areas. The actions of the Parkies are a whole lot different and more arbitrary than those of the Coast Guard or city/state cops. You might pick up "A Land Gone Lonesome" to have your eyes opened a little.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It'll all come out in the wash.
    Many of us base our reactions on the longstanding, and numerous abuses of the National Park Service and other federal "rangers" upon the traditional uses and activities of Alaskans. Others of us also feel that there are far too many power hungry eco-types who just love to push their power around. I've had a few negative experiences myself with local F&W, but the folks who have really suffered under the iron hand of the feds are the folks who used to operate in the upper Yukon and Wrangell-St. Elias Mountains areas. The actions of the Parkies are a whole lot different and more arbitrary than those of the Coast Guard or city/state cops. You might pick up "A Land Gone Lonesome" to have your eyes opened a little.
    The Morris Udall D-2 lands bill that the Carter admin shoved down our throats was w/o a doubt the Exxon-Valdez of the 70's to any Alaskan that remembers. Life hasn't been the same since thats for sure.

people reaching conclusions and taking sides based on the words of an attorney and a politician.
    Let me relay a story I'll try to keep short that will explain the roots of these conclusions.

A friend moved to AK and ask me to deliver his airplane to him. Flight plans were filed, every stop on schedule, no surprises to anyone.

Clearing Canada customs at Regina I was greeted with smiles and told to enjoy my visit.

As I worked my way west flight service was courteous, friendly, and even ask for my help on two search and rescues they had going on.

I cleared US customs at Northway AK, since it is policy in the Lower US to stay in the aircraft until the customs agent is at the aircraft I did for a while. No one appeared in a timely manner so to stretch my legs I stepped out of the aircraft but stayed beside it. This brought the customs agent out of his office in a pit bull manner, hand at ready on holstered hand gun, and an unnecessary lecture. After he drug out the procedures for clearing customs he turned without telling me he was done and headed for his office. At that point I said, one minute sir, for the scrap book at every stop I have taken a picture of whomever took care of me so come stand by the airplane so I can take your picture, this brought a smile, he let me take the picture but covered his weapon.

I side with the OLD GUY - I better watch who I'm calling old

First Question:

Does USFS have jurisdiction on this part or any part of the Yukon River?

Second Question:

Does USFS personnel have the authority to perform marine safety checks on the Yukon River?

Maybe some of you folks in SE can anwser the above questions. Has anyone out of Seward or Whittier been pulled over by USFS employees?

Please keep us updated on this story.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    First Question:

Does USFS have jurisdiction on this part or any part of the Yukon River?

Second Question:

Does USFS personnel have the authority to perform marine safety checks on the Yukon River?

Maybe some of you folks in SE can anwser the above questions. Has anyone out of Seward or Whittier been pulled over by USFS employees?

Please keep us updated on this story.
    No USFS up on the Yukon. Park Service there, but the same mentality. Both have law enforcement authority in their domain, which is a relatively new thing. In the old days the Forest Service concerned itself with timber sales and associated infrastructure, and recreation and nothing much else. The Park Service protected parks like Yellowstone and monuments; little else. When they got up here there was no restraining them and they went mad with their new authority. IMO these agencies are now overstepping their roles, which seems to be a common theme for government agencies in general. These agencies are full of granola crunching, tree hugging, wolf embracing, feminist oriented college types instead of the old time, school-of-hard-knocks rangers who knew what it took to live in the woods.

My mistake. So what national park is on the Yukon River?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    My mistake. So what national park is on the Yukon River?
    Charley river national reserve. Arizona sen Morris Udall introduced the D-2 lands Bill that the carter administration steamrolled it, it was the biggest federal land grab in history.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Charley river national reserve. Arizona sen Morris Udall introduced the D-2 lands Bill that the carter administration steamrolled it, it was the biggest federal land grab in history.
    Concur. Yukon Charley to be more correct, but a steal it was (along with a lot of other land). One of the many things that Carter did which have had far reaching implications. Not unlike the presidency of... OK stopping here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast