Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo Marine heaters: Sad news

Default Toyo Marine heaters: Sad news

Hi guys,
    I live in South East and I have a 24 North River Seahawk O/S. I've been saving for a couple years to buy a toyo marine heater. I've done my research and it sounds like toyo is the best bang for my buck, but I just found out they don't make them anymore. I've called all across the state and I cannot find any! Does anyone know where I can pick one up? Also, I've been looking at webasto heaters. Any comments... please help.
    Thank you
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttu View Post
    Hi guys,
    I live in South East and I have a 24 North River Seahawk O/S. I've been saving for a couple years to buy a toyo marine heater. I've done my research and it sounds like toyo is the best bang for my buck, but I just found out they don't make them anymore. I've called all across the state and I cannot find any! Does anyone know where I can pick one up? Also, I've been looking at webasto heaters. Any comments... please help.
    Thank you
    Chuck
    Personally Tuttu, I try and avoid any boat heater that uses electricity. I've always got w/ dickinson oil stoves. Granted they have their draw backs, soot being one but theres alot to be said for the dry dependable heat they put off.

Thank you for the reply. I checked into them, but I don't have enough room to mount one in my boat.

Thank you for the reply. I checked into them, but I don't have enough room to mount one in my boat.
    even the bulk head mounted wall furnace?
    the Dickinson Newport I believe

I have heard great things about the Webasto units. They look very similar to the Espar. I currently have an Espar Airtronic D4 in my current boat. It has been flawless for three seasons. I use kerosene instead of diesel and it runs whenever I am on the boat. The amperage draw is minimal. If you are interested in the Webasto units, I can put you in touch with a dealer here in Anchorage.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've got the Webasto heater in my 26 ft Hewescraft and it's been flawless for 2 years of operation. Even kept the cabin of my boat t-shirt weather on Thanksgiving last year hunting in the PWS.

Charterboat Operator

My webasto is 13 years old, so am sure the newer units are better, but certainly dont know how they could be. Like Spoiled One, i have switched to kerosene, and use #1 when it is the only thing available. GREAT units.

Can you burn #1 and kerosene in the webasto units?

Charterboat Operator

yes you can, i have even run out of the pump diesel in it, but am pretty sure that is what led to a gum up in my filter system.
    thusly only #1 & kerosene now.

I've had a Webasto in my boat for the last four seasons with no problems. Couldn't be happier with it.

What does a Webasto heater cost (heater w/ kit)?

Hi guys,
    Thank you
    Chuck
    Have you tried Rural Energy Enterprises or Central Plumbing in Anchorage? REE is the rep for the state & Central is one of their distributors, They have another distributor in Wasilla & one in Fairbush but I don't remember their names.

Thank you guys for all the replies. I tried calling all the names that you suggested. Plus, they gave me another 3-5 companies to call and I had no luck. I'm thinking about going with the Webasto, but it's going to run me $2400 (not installed). Thats about 800-1000 dollars more than the toyo.

I purchased the last one available locally at Rural Energy about two months ago, it was a refurbished unit. They are still in production but no longer available state side.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I have a 24 NR Seahawk and use the Dickinson Newport diesel heater. It puts out plenty of heat. It is messy and not really designed for use while under power; hence the mess due to the draft. I redesigned my interior so the space thing isn't an issue. It doesn't use any electricity after starting, and I had it run straight for a few weeks several times this last summer. Good luck finding something you are happy with. You live in a great part of the state for that boat !

I also have a 220 Ocean Pro powered with a 2009 Suzuki 140... On the heater... where did you mount it? clearances? Photos if you have them... Recommendations/Suggestions?

Regards,

Gene
    Soldotna

A few pics in this thread. For the Toyo...
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

DEH,
    I was looking at your pictures and noticed that you had a 3 gallon marine gas tank for your heater. How does that work out for you? I was considering a 3 gallon aluminum tank, but they are 300 bucks. I might consider going with plastic, if there are no problems with your set up.

The plastic tank works great. I did have to do a little trimming around the opening of the hatch, mainly so I could get the tank out if it was full. Also some of the flashing needs to be cleaned up inside the hatch so it doesn't rub a hole in the tank. Been in there for a couple years and no problems yet.
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

The last time I was at Salcha Marine just outside of Fairbanks they had a new 1 that had been in their show case for many years. Price was $1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast