Thread: Stand Up Paddle Boarding in AK

Default Stand Up Paddle Boarding in AK

I am a misplaced Alaskan that is planning on moving back next summer and in my travels i have come across the fairly new sport of Stand Up Paddle Boarding or SUP.
    The sport is pretty widespread in the states anywhere people would kayak and more over kayak fish there seems to be folks out on their SUPs. I'm currently in Maine and even this far north it is very popular, warm or cold water is doesn't seem to matter (i have seen people out in full wetsuits and even dry suits).

I am wondering if anyone here has or knows of people who have brought the sport north? More specifically Where are folks paddling? Has anyone used it as a means of fishing (most fishermen just sit down while fishing like an open kayak). I used to paddle off the Homer spit over to China Poot and Sadie has anyone done that long of a paddle up there (I know some supermen in Hawaii SUP between islands)? Has anyone tried the even further progression of the sport and done river or whitewater SUP? It would seem a sup is almost better for alaskan surfers since there is no laying in the water while waiting for waves, though they are not as manuverable as a short board.

The place in my heart that has been Kayakings home all my life is quickly being taken over by this, needless to say i am pretty AMPED about this progression of surfing/fusion of board and paddle sports. Just seeing if it has made the trip north yet?

And growing first noticed a couple of kids at it on finger lake, I have seen folks on smaller lakes and even some of the sloughs around my place at it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

i have seen 6-10 folks at a time off the spit this summer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I've been thinking about getting into SUP. It looks fun, and I've heard it is a great workout. Last weekend, I saw a group of about five cruising down the Upper Kenai in a combination of drysuits and wetsuits. As far as I could tell, they did not have fishing gear. I spend a lot of time on the water, and this was the first group I have seen. We have property in Kodiak; I think it would be blast around the island. I'll shoot you a pm if I get connected with some gear.

I'll be making a couple of these available in rental program for next season

http://www.cabrinhasurf.com/index.ph...&id=3&Itemid=8

Occasionally, you'll already see 'one' of these at our hangar facility on Lake Hood.

there is a guy down here who does rentals and lessons. he surfed the bore tide in turnagain recently too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The rebirth of the stand up paddle boards is amazing..
    in the 1960's it was popular with guys like the "Duke"
    He would use the paddle and take cameras with him to take moving pictures of surfing.
    it died off when the lighter smaller boards started to be made with modern materials.
    now its back,, even great surfers from Hawaii use the paddles to improve there skills and speed to catch waves.
    We watched folks surf those long small waves that run for ever on them last year in Hawaii.
    pretty cool stuff and lots of fun..
    Any sport that gets folks out and having a good time.
    looking forward to seeing someone surf the bore tide on one..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting into SUP. It looks fun, and I've heard it is a great workout. Last weekend, I saw a group of about five cruising down the Upper Kenai in a combination of drysuits and wetsuits
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 10-23-2010 at 10:42.

I watched some yahoos stand up boarding down the Kenai River last weekend. They were trying to shoot down a standing wave train and all four of them dumped it.

Thanks for the help, i talked to the surf alaska guy scott he was super helpful and took me out in homer when i was up last week. I am getting more in to it and defiantly recommend it to any one who is interested.

I'd think it'd be difficult to fish from although not impossible. It takes balance & concentration to stay up on these, especially if you get any water/wave movement to contend with. I've paddle Kalihiwai river here (Kauai) a number of times and ventured out into the ocean, pretty different scene. They are a lot of fun and we spent this last weekend at Waikiki longboarding and there were lots of sup's out there and they have the edge in catching the waves as the size, length, & speed of the sup boards allow you to get the wave early.
    In fact there was a stand up contest while we were there and folks were riding pretty small sup boards and they were incredibly maneuverable although the smaller the board, the more difficult to stand on it. To be honest, I really don't enjoy it as much as "regular" surfing or "regular" kayaking. Our local Costco sells them for about 150 bucks so you know they're popular. Although it doesn't knock my socks off, I can see the excitement of the sup in Alaska as it keeps you out of the cold water mostly, and if the bore tide wave doesn't break quickly and is long and rolling, then the sup would be the best to ride it.

Good one dude..keep doing nice work