Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to Moose camp and found? Part II

Default Went to Moose camp and found? Part II

this is the second story, well I pulled up to my camp Monday and the first thing I noticed is fresh foot prints in the mud, then I noticed all the firewood was burned or taken, I had some trash in the firepit (was not going to leave it there had full intentions of pulling all trash and garbage out) that was dumped on the table, when I opened my tent there was nasty socks in my vestibule and then someone actually went inside the tent and then didnt have the common cuourtesy to either take off boots or wipe there feet cause there was mud, leaves, grass,& sticks inside the tent and it smelled bad like they were hot and wet. I thought to myself unbelievable.
    How would you react if you pulled to your camp and seen guys comming out of your tent? why would you even go near another camp? granted its in a popular hunting area but there has to be a line drawn here, nothing was stolen or damaged just the mentality of some people. A guy I now boated past the area and seen a boat docked at the sight, happened to be the same boat that was there when i pulled in earlier this season, and I cant remember the name or type of boat. I think the longest I was away from the camp was approx 4-6 days but continually go back to hunt the area throughout the season and will be heading out again on the 23rd. I just thought i waould share the tale with everyone.

Seems to be a not-so-new trend going around of people setting up decoy camps. Maybe that's what these guys thought yours was and didn't fall for it? They also could have been looking for identification because an abandoned camp could mean a missing hunter. I'm thinking this way because nothing was stolen, so it doesn't seem to me like there was bad intentions.

This year somebody left a tarp and chair at our normal camping spot. It appeared as if they wanted it to look like somebody was camping there from the river. We neatly folded their tarp and set up our camp. For the 5-6 days we were back and forth in there, nobody ever showed up. We don't leave our stuff out in the field. I think you are asking for problems by doing that. We have a few back up areas to go camp and hunt at if our normal spot is taken. It's taken a long time to establish good hunting areas in the flats, so I can understand wanting to try and keep dibs on your main spot.

Just my opinion but - I have a problem with anyone trying to claim public land by leaving a camp when they are not even in the area. It appears your intention was to claim the area referenced to as "MY Camp" as a private area for yourself for the entire hunting season. There are way too many people in the congested areas to have people claiming camp sites when they are not in the field. Beyond that I value my posessions way too much to leave them out and I assume they would be gone when I return.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have to agree with rambling raven on this. This is no different than the discussion of duck hunters putting out their dekes on public property ahead of time to save their spot. As I remember, the general concensus on that issue was that the practice of saving hunting spots by leaving personal property in the field was unsportsman like at best.

I also agree with Rambling Raven. You state that you were gone for 4-6 days!!!!???? Your stuff was trash or abandoned property IMO. Unless you are a private property owner or lease the land then you have no right to any spot. AK regs say that you can only camp in one spot for 14 days before you have to move. Last I checked moose season is at least 21 days long so all you hayshakers who set up camp a week or two early and then "squat" on a site for the whole season are technically in violation. I think instead of moose hunting from now on I'm going "abandoned camp hunting" You'll see your shat on clist next year. I bet I could make enough money to pay for a couple fly-out hunts. Now I can't wait to see how many gunslingers threaten to shoot me. This will be too much fun.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

For those who like to fact check.

The problem here is you do not go into someones camp i dont care if it sits there for a month, its not right. If you feel you want to be there put your tent next to mine but leave my stuff alone. Take my stuff and put it on clist and see what happens. I put my camp out a week early and hunt for a few days then leave and go back for a long stint. I helped find the spot, cut the trail and did the work over 20 years ago and theres nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same so go do it and dont camp on top of someone else. The guys that camped on us admited to leaving ak soon and didnt care they were messing up my hunt. The old days of ak are gone but some of us still remain and i dont plan on leaving anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    The problem here is you do not go into someones camp i dont care if it sits there for a month, its not right. If you feel you want to be there put your tent next to mine but leave my stuff alone. Take my stuff and put it on clist and see what happens. I put my camp out a week early and hunt for a few days then leave and go back for a long stint. I helped find the spot, cut the trail and did the work over 20 years ago and theres nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same so go do it and dont camp on top of someone else. The guys that camped on us admited to leaving ak soon and didnt care they were messing up my hunt. The old days of ak are gone but some of us still remain and i dont plan on leaving anytime soon.
    Times have changed, accept it, 1S1K will be on the search for "free" camping gear. There are too many people going into the field to lay claim to state land or "Ideal" hunting spots, Google Earth has opened up the whole state for the weekend hunting crowd. There's nothing worse than "Super Camps" being setup a week ahead of the season opener to lay claim.

The problem here is that there is a sense of "entitlement" just because you cut the trail in 20 years ago. Who cares. If you want a thank you, then Thank You for providing me access to an area. You have no "right" to state land. You have no "right" or "privilege" to expect that your abandoned property will remain untouched. Seniority doesn't have any bearing on the recreational use of state land. You're right, the old days are gone. Thank you to all you old timers for opening up the country with your trails. Me and all the other Gen X'rs with our wheelers will be stopping by shortly. Thank You to Google Earth for showing me from my living room all the trails that are yet to be explored and camp sites that I have yet to camp in.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    The problem here is that there is a sense of "entitlement" just because you cut the trail in 20 years ago. Who cares. If you want a thank you, then Thank You for providing me access to an area. You have no "right" to state land. You have no "right" or "privilege" to expect that your abandoned property will remain untouched. Seniority doesn't have any bearing on the recreational use of state land. You're right, the old days are gone. Thank you to all you old timers for opening up the country with your trails. Me and all the other Gen X'rs with our wheelers will be stopping by shortly. Thank You to Google Earth for showing me from my living room all the trails that are yet to be explored and camp sites that I have yet to camp in.
    were i you i would spend some time in the land recorders office. camp in the wrong tent, or pick up the wrong gear... you'll spend time in state and federal court... promise.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

akrogers that is exactly what I mean feel free to set up and hunt right next to me, fine, got it, public land, but respect others property and respect the work others have done, if you burn wood someone else cut replace it, life and death, accident use anything I have, its a sad world when people dont respect anothers property.

I have accepted it, however i will not accept someone camping 100 yards from me and going through my stuff. i have 15 days to get food for my familly and i am in my camp for 12 of those days. I havent had any authorities tell me to take my camp down cause its been here to many days? Also my gear would not be free and i also am only 35 years old.

i have 15 days to get food for my familly and i am in my camp for 12 of those days.
    Really... The last I checked there was a store in North Pole.

Quote Originally Posted by rmkak View Post
    Really... The last I checked there was a store in North Pole.
    Wow really use some common sense that sounds like something an Anti would say. Can I go to a store and buy food YES do I want to spend $3+ plus per pound for beef and other meats for a year + when I can get it for free from a renewable resource NO. 1 moose can save easily over $1000 a year on meat. That is 1000 more I have for heating oil oh wait I cut wood to heat my home should I not do that since I can buy oil? Think about what you just said ridicilous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    were i you i would spend some time in the land recorders office. camp in the wrong tent, or pick up the wrong gear... you'll spend time in state and federal court... promise.
    Vince - I was wondering how long before you piped in. I have spent a lot of time in the land recorders web site thanks to previous posts in other threads by you. There are exceptions to the 14 day rule and I'm not talking about anything other than a non-commercial, recreational use by campers or hunters. I'm not talking about mining leases/permits or commerical leases or permitted uses in certain areas.

The guy clearly articulated that his "camp" was left for 6 days. He did not say it was a mining claim or that he had a lease or permit. I agree that leases or permitted uses have a different "right" or "privilege."

Also, Vince true to your modis operandi you make a vague comment even a slight threat but fail to educate us as to why we should listen to anything you say. If you're going to promise me something at least inform me so I can either look forward to your promise or avoid it.

Moose meat saves me alot of money each winter and i cant find my silver spoon. Good job on finding the store, you must be a detective?

Keep is clean 1s1k this is a good thread with good debate if yall are going to get all personal take it to the PM's or I can see this getting locked real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Wow really use some common sense that sounds like something an Anti would say. Can I go to a store and buy food YES do I want to spend $3+ plus per pound for beef and other meats for a year + when I can get it for free from a renewable resource NO. 1 moose can save easily over $1000 a year on meat. That is 1000 more I have for heating oil oh wait I cut wood to heat my home should I not do that since I can buy oil? Think about what you just said ridicilous.
    If you walk in, kill the moose with a spear, walk out with the moose, butcher it yourself into steaks, roast, burger, and then keep it in a ground cellar that you dug by hand then I would agree that harvesting a moose each year saves you money. More likely, you drive your truck and wheeler to a spot, wheeler in with whatever gear you have, use a rifle, kill it, then transport the meat back to your refrigerator or freezer which runs on propane or electricity. All of that goes into the cost of the moose so you can pay $3 per pound for meat at the store or you can spend the same amount per pound harvesting your moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Not Anti at all, just don't like hearing that argument for hunting. We all do it for the enjoyment and the bonus is the meat. If a person is truly subsisting and down on their luck with money, then "getting food for the family" is a valid argument. But if you own a computer and access this site, you probably have the means to recreational hunt.

You can most likely save $1000 for your heating oil by staying at work for the season as well....But who wants to do that.

The original thread was about keeping your gear in the field. I would never risk it and would expect it to be tampered with either by animal or human.

No problem keeping it clean and I enjoy the debate. I was just promised with state or federal prison and I have no idea what Vince is talking about. I made a statement that you cannot camp for more than 14 days and then provided the citation to support my comment. I only ask the same if someone is going to engage in this debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast