Thread: Bear attack last night

Default Bear attack last night

A man was attacked by a brown bear between the Captain Cook park and the Swansen river last night. He's alive and doing well with 140 stitches. Bitten mostly on the head with bites on arms, chest and legs also. A round of birdshot did not deter the bear.

Glad to hear that he is ok. Any info on what he was doing or how it happen?

He was returning from fishing the Swansen with a silver in hand.

Unhappy bear attack

Okay, I just read the guys account of this attack. I just get so tired of those bear huggers who say bears only attack if threatened or around food. The dang bear was 100 yards off, circled around him making noises and finally attacked even after a warning shot was fired. The bear even tried to drag him off. Predatory aggression plain and simple. That’s one dangerous bear roaming the park now….
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Well, I guess after I master moose hunting, I need to start learning about bear hunting....

Unfortunately, it is quite possible to learn hard way (God forbid) that these two hunts are closely related. In a sense that successful moose hunt can easily lead to a bear encounter. That amount of moose meat is a pretty good bait station.

My last moose was shoot after sunset, I had not much time before the total darkness. So I found it, marked the spot, and just opened its belly for cooling off, having in mind to proceed further in the morning. When I approached the site in the next morning making noise, with loaded rifle in one hand, with my 44 on my belt -and before that I glassed the spot from my treestand- I saw that it was visited by a black bear. Meat damage was not so large, but the entire field dressing operation was kinda tense.

On a practical note, now I arrange in advance black bear harvest tickets just in case to avoid DLP situation. For grizzly licensed residents don't need any tags or tickets or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Okay, I just read the guys account of this attack. I just get so tired of those bear huggers who say bears only attack if threatened or around food. The dang bear was 100 yards off, circled around him making noises and finally attacked even after a warning shot was fired. The bear even tried to drag him off. Predatory aggression plain and simple. That’s one dangerous bear roaming the park now….
    I get tired of them too. Although when I am out fishing, I always feel comfort when I see them tinkle tinkle tinkle by with their little horn strapped to their belt. I know I will have lots of warning if ole brownie decides to head down the river. I would wager a bet that most of these types have never had a "real close" encounter with a bear. Most of them are keyboard biologists and I further wager that if they did get "real close" to a bear they would be scared s******s, literally! I have had a couple close onces and that is why Ruger and I have a very long standing tradition of traveling in the outdoors together.

This guy is real fortunate to be alive. It sounds to me like he was minding his own business and didn't provoke the bear. This time of year is about as bad as the spring...bears are hungry and winter is coming.

Birdshot. That is a good way to piss off a Brownie in the mood to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeima View Post
    For grizzly licensed residents don't need any tags or tickets or whatever.
    That is not true. In some units that is the case, but only in a few...

FWIW, I will never leave a moose sit overnight without butchering unless I am in a dire situation. Get that meat off the carcass and cooling..start to pack it after a few hours of sleep if necessary...because, as you found out, when a bear is in the area, you now have to butcher a WHOLE moose worrying about bears instead of just loading the meat and beating feet..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    That is not true. In some units that is the case, but only in a few...
    Yes, that's right, I forgot to add that it is not over the entire state (no tags for grizzly). It is the case in Units 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26B, 26C and for subsistence bear hunts areas - see the Regs, as usual.

FWIW, I will never leave a moose sit overnight without butchering unless I am in a dire situation. Get that meat off the carcass and cooling..start to pack it after a few hours of sleep if necessary...because, as you found out, when a bear is in the area, you now have to butcher a WHOLE moose worrying about bears instead of just loading the meat and beating feet..
    Yes, it is very important to start immediately. If you start butchering within five minutes after picture taking session, a bear will never pay a visit to your butchering shop.

anyone have the link to the report to share?

Todays paper has more info that ADFG went again to search the area and didnt locate the bear. But they speculate the bear smelled fish which doesnt really sound that believeable. More likely it was dominance or territorial behavior. I mean the bear even tried to drag the guy. I have fished that area a lot and have seen black bears...
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear