Thread: Dolly Llama

Default Dolly Llama

Does anybody know how to tie these? I've bought them at alaskaflyfishinggoods.net and they work very well...before the hook breaks. I seem to only get one to two decent sized Kenai fish out of them before the hook straightens out. So I'm trying to tie my own, but have never tied an articulated fly before. Used to be a tutorial on here but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Articulated Flies

Look at Caddis Fly Shop on You Tube. They have some great tutorials on articulated patterns including how to differentiate between using wire and super braid for the trailer. It doesn't have the specific Dolly Llama pattern but should give you enough ideas at least for the articulated style.

Here is a good post by Wy02AK on them... It's a couple posts down the page.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2-Dolly-Llamas

P.S... Don't feel bad, it was a pain in the butt to find. The search feature didn't seem to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Here is a good post by Wy02AK on them... It's a couple posts down the page.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2-Dolly-Llamas

P.S... Don't feel bad, it was a pain in the butt to find. The search feature didn't seem to pick it up.

Same link already posted.... See first Reply. Rich IS wyo.

silly noob.

Doh! I looked at the end of the link and it was different. My mistake... I will never try and be helpful again for fear of being berated

No worries. If there was ever a link worthy a double, now triple post; it would be Rich's llamas.

Carry on; go back to being helpful. Keep this up and you'll be nominated for forum member of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    forum member of the year.
    If there is such a thing I'd have quite a conundrum on my hands because I have several members I'd like to nominate..

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If there is such a thing I'd have quite a conundrum on my hands because I have several members I'd like to nominate..
    I assure you... it's fact.
    Vince was 2009 Member of the Year, Bushrat 2008...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...er+of+the+year
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...er+of+the+year

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll looks these over and see if I can figure it out. I just really need to tie it with a heavier duty hook. The ones I ordered online looked like a sharpened metal coat hanger :/

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Sweet, thanks guys. I'll looks these over and see if I can figure it out. I just really need to tie it with a heavier duty hook. The ones I ordered online looked like a sharpened metal coat hanger :/
    Griff,
    Follow Rich's tutorial, you'll see that he uses a loop, then when he hits the water he just puts on whatever hook he wants as a trailer.

I like to use small, bead hooks as the trailing hook.

I either loop it it like Rich, or sometimes I snell knot the trailer on when I tie the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    No worries. If there was ever a link worthy a double, now triple post; it would be Rich's llamas.

Carry on; go back to being helpful. Keep this up and you'll be nominated for forum member of the year.
    After looking at the previous years nominees and seeing how throughly vetted they are, I can assure you I would never make that list...

...I hope the sarcasm in my post comes through nice and think, just how I intended it.