Thread: Not a happy hunter

Default Not a happy hunter

Iím going crazy the best hunting weather I can remember and no rain or snow in the forecast. Moose season will be over in 5 days on the 25th and I can not go hunting. Because if I kill a moose I would not be able to lift the quarters into a vehicle and get the animal out with out killing myself.

Getting old and hunting moose solo, sucks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

common on up... be more then happy to help
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Rut...
    I think you should still go out and hunt. Might see some birds like Bohemian Waxwings, or migrating honkers or speckle bellies. Might see a brown bear eating berries or feeding babies. Might see a big black bear. Shoot it and you save a few moose calves next spring. And black bear meat makes great sausage to eat all winter while you are watching the Seattle Seahawks blow another season. You might get to see an otter play with a stick. Might even see a bull moose. Watch it walk away, or cut it into pieces small enough to carry. Or shoot it and call your buddies up so they can help carry the big parts. Or put out an SOS here on the forum. Might be surprised how many forum members would offer to help with the weekend coming up.
    And even if you see nothing, you will probably remember why you decided to stay in this great north country.
    Solo days afield can be your greatest...and another long winter in on its way...
    Getting old is gonna happen anyway. So if you have the time off work, might as well...
    ...GO MOOSE HUNTING...(or fishing or rafting.........)

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Rut...
    I think you should still go out and hunt. Might see some birds like Bohemian Waxwings, or migrating honkers or speckle bellies. Might see a brown bear eating berries or feeding babies. Might see a big black bear. Shoot it and you save a few moose calves next spring. And black bear meat makes great sausage to eat all winter while you are watching the Seattle Seahawks blow another season. You might get to see an otter play with a stick. Might even see a bull moose. Watch it walk away, or cut it into pieces small enough to carry. Or shoot it and call your buddies up so they can help carry the big parts. Or put out an SOS here on the forum. Might be surprised how many could help with the weekend coming up.
    And even if you see nothing, you will probably remember why you decided to stay in this great north country.
    Solo days afield can be your greatest...and another long winter in on its way...
    Getting old is gonna happen anyway. So if you have the time off work, might as well...
    ...GO MOOSE HUNTING...(or fishing or rafting.........)

dennis
    right on dennis...nicely put.

Default I feel your pain

I also missed most of the season. Not due to old age but due to the lack of a hunting partner. I did take my wires friends hubby out last weekend. His first hunt so we took it easy. I have not found a good spot yet and the lack of a hunting buddie hinders it that much more. What part of the state are you in?

Mont hunter

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    I also missed most of the season. Not due to old age but due to the lack of a hunting partner. I did take my wires friends hubby out last weekend. His first hunt so we took it easy. I have not found a good spot yet and the lack of a hunting buddie hinders it that much more. What part of the state are you in?

Mont hunter
    I have been fighting a rather nasty upper respitory infection and decided to stay at home. Been enjoying everyone else stories and looking over trooper dispatches to see what they were writing and where....see below.

This guy found an almost great spot. I was wondering why I have not seen this bull in a while.......names deleted to protect the innocent

Case number: 10-87064

Type: Take Moose Closed Area

Text: On 9/11/2010, Anchorage Wildlife Troopers contacted XXXX XXXXXX,
    age 24 of Eagle River, near the South Fork Eagle River Trail Head after
    XXXXXX was observed to have taken a moose. Investigation revealed that
    XXXXXX took the moose in a closed area. Moose antlers and all meat were
    seized. XXXXXX was issued a summons to appear in the Anchorage district
    court on October 28th, 2010.
    Author: DBL1
    Received Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:18 PM and posted Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:17 PM

For those that could not get out and "hunt" get out and get out and shoot some PICTURES, it doesn't have to be a totally wasted season.

vince - not sure if you need any help hauling stuff out or not, but I've got a wheeler and depending on work trips might have time to go on an adventure with ya to help out. drop a pm when you might be going, love to see some new country if I can help out too. -J (sorry for the hijack!)

Moose hunting seems to be fraught with frustration, especially for those of us who are the "results oriented" types. To Rutting Moose, if you need a back to help haul out meat, PM me. I know how all of you feel. Two years ago, I had to pull a 3 week hitch on the slope so I only hunted the first day of season, the day I caught the plane up, a man shot a 60" bull 50 feet from my "calling spot". Since then I have hunted local areas and walked my rear end off and only seen one legal bull and that was well after dark. But I am going to keep going out every opportunity I can until season is over.
    And here's the real thing. We all are after meat for the freezer, some after a set of antlers to decorate the den or front of the house. However Dennis has eloquently reminded all of us that if we are getting truly frustrated about the outcome then we are distorting the real reason for why we're out there. And trust me, none of you out there are NEARLY as guilty of this than I.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Rutting Moose, sorry you haven't been getting out. I have probably done a dozen different short trips this season, most of which have just been a few hours. I've seen a couple of non-legal bulls and a lot of antlerless moose. It ends tomorrow, but I think I've thrown in the towel. I'm not sure why, I find myself at home - during moose season - baking. That's right, baking. Anyone want to trade a couple of blueberry rhubarb pies for a little moose meat?

Me and two other guys spent 1000's of dollars on a 10 day moose hunt on the John River and didn't see a single moose, not even a cow hanging out on the banks. Hunted high and low, early and late. Guess the moose don't care how much money you spent. Still a cool trip though. Guess I'll stay local next year.

Attachment 39440Attachment 39441

I logged on for a serious Rutting Moose rant. I feel disappointed!!!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Rutting Moose, sorry you haven't been getting out. I have probably done a dozen different short trips this season, most of which have just been a few hours. I've seen a couple of non-legal bulls and a lot of antlerless moose. It ends tomorrow, but I think I've thrown in the towel. I'm not sure why, I find myself at home - during moose season - baking. That's right, baking. Anyone want to trade a couple of blueberry rhubarb pies for a little moose meat?

I will; name your cut.

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    I will; name your cut.
    Ditto!!! We talkin' 2:1, 3:1 on poundage

My hunting partner had another moose hunt he will not forget for a very long time.

I learn things about calling moose I never knew.

A new tool I made for calling moose perform better than I hope.

The best hunting weather in 30+ years, and I can not go back out hunting.

A moose storey, I have a problem believing really happen, and will haunt me for years to come.

I now have new neighbors in my area.

No moose in the freezer, and I still had a great time with a good friend.

Mark, are you happy now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Getting old and hunting moose solo, sucks.
    I agree and would add that hunting on the road system makes it even worse. But since you brought it up, what is the moose story you have trouble believing?
    Patrick
    PM sent also

CHEATED, I tell you! Cheated! ;-))

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    My hunting partner had another moose hunt he will not forget for a very long time.

I learn things about calling moose I never knew.

A new tool I made for calling moose perform better than I hope.

The best hunting weather in 30+ years, and I can not go back out hunting.

A moose storey, I have a problem believing really happen, and will haunt me for years to come.

I now have new neighbors in my area.

No moose in the freezer, and I still had a great time with a good friend.

Mark, are you happy now!!
    Moose, I don't think this qualifies as a rant.

I know getting older is frustrating...but one day we'll all be underground, so get out there while you can. Just spending time in the AK wilderness is a treat.