Thread: BIG boots

Question BIG boots

I can't afford to hunt AK, or much else due to being laid off, but I can watch AK hunts on my TV. I was watching a Dall sheep hunt last week and when the guys came to a creek crossing they put on hip boots OVER their regular hiking/hunting boots. The feet on the boots the put over were like size 14 or something and did not look like something a fly fisherman or fireman would wear and I think the legs were like heavy nylon looking. They seemd designed for temp or occasioanl use. I've searched all my new catalogs and dont see a darn thing like it. Any ideas?
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah they are an over boot very light wader, i an get them locally but not sure where on line but Wiggys also has a brand of there own..
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    these are the ones we can purchase here in FBK thanks M H!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    these are the ones we can purchase here in FBK thanks M H!
    My pleasure. Stid likes them: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l=1#post388651

I've used them at work and they work GREAT!! That is unless the seam is leaking. You know, the seam at the top of the leg where the wader stops. Yeah, went too deep. HAHA!!!

I used theWiggeys ones for the first time on my moose hunt this year. I'll never be without them again. They are great.

i have the neos and have been very pleased with them i think i've had them for at least 5 yrs and have had no leaks or tears or any problems, now that i said that i'm screwed i'm sure, but oh well they are pretty tough as i wear them on the 4 wheeler in and out of moose camp and they are great for getting in and out of the skiff for those of us who hate wearing extra tuffs

On my recent sheep hunt, I picked up a pair of aqua shoes for $10 at Fred Meyer. Take boots, socks and pants off and cross. They have a rubbery sole for traction. they doubled as a camp shoe.

I agree with L.G. above.
    On early season ram hunts, I usually only take a "water show", unless many water crossing are expected on multiple days.
    There are certainly occasions and applications when the "overboot hip high leggings" are useful, but not that often in my experience of watching 27 rams tip over dead.
    On the early season hunts the temps are often in the 70's or higher, and the glacial river crossings are often a welcome relief from the heat.
    Also, do note that I do not use many gadgets for anything. I hunt. I kill. Screw the expensive gadgets that load up a backpack. I (or my friends and client-hunters) never killed a ram, or missed killing a ram because we did or did not have those hip-high overboot deals.

Just my one cent of experience....dennis

Vince

Where in Fairbanks can you buy them? Thanks

I am thinking about getting a pair of these "quickie waders" for an upcoming Kodiak bear hunt--have looked at the "cheapo" versions as well as those recommended above--those at the links below are almost cheap enough that if they only make it 1 fall it is okay...reason why I am thinking of going this route is it will allow me and the wife(her especially) to wear a warmer boot and one better for climbing/tearing thru the alders than waders normally are known for and then if need be quickly add the waterproof protection via a "quickie" wader like these listed below...not sure if it is the best route--have less than a month to figure it all out...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgman-Gr...Wader/10726559

http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/Ms...ty%20waders%20

Quote Originally Posted by majorbam View Post
    I am thinking about getting a pair of these "quickie waders" for an upcoming Kodiak bear hunt--have looked at the "cheapo" versions as well as those recommended above--those at the links below are almost cheap enough that if they only make it 1 fall it is okay...reason why I am thinking of going this route is it will allow me and the wife(her especially) to wear a warmer boot and one better for climbing/tearing thru the alders than waders normally are known for and then if need be quickly add the waterproof protection via a "quickie" wader like these listed below...not sure if it is the best route--have less than a month to figure it all out...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgman-Gr...Wader/10726559

http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/Ms...ty%20waders%20
    What size do you wear? You can borrow mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Yep them is the ones I seen on that show. Cool thanks.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

i think they sell them at Nomar in homer they should be able to put them i the mail and get them out pretty quick 18004788363

sorry typo on the number its 1-800-478-8364

JMO but i could pretty much guaranty that if I were on a sheep hunt that I would not be carying a 5 lb pair of hippers to cross a stream . The wigg's maybe not the Neos.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Vince

Where in Fairbanks can you buy them? Thanks
    frontier outfitters carries a few of them...

meet on face book here